Buying a second tablet, shuld I go with a 2nd Samsung or get an Apple?

HarpoonIPA

ハープーンIPA &#1249
Reaction score
I love my Samsung Galaxy and have apps that will work with a second unit. But everyone is saying how good Apple Tablets are. Any thoughts?

Well, is there something you want your tablet to do that it currently can't or doesn't do well? Is that something going to be improved through an iPad?

I've owned/used iPads and numerous Android tablets and at the end of the day they aren't that different anymore. Long ago iPads shit all over Android tablets, but the gap has narrowed considerably. Especially for flagship tablets like the Nexus. You'll probably end up with a nicer screen, but it comes down to software and apps. Do you enjoy using iOS? If not, why buy an iPad? Are there iPad specific apps that really interest you? If not, why buy one?

Like everything Apple touches, iPads are pretty expensive for what they are. I enjoy iOS on tablets way more than on phones, but I'm not sure I'd go out and spend money on an iPad if I already had a quality Android tablet (and vice versa).

/$0.02

Well, is there something you want your tablet to do that it currently can't or doesn't do well? Is that something going to be improved through an iPad?

I've owned/used iPads and numerous Android tablets and at the end of the day they aren't that different anymore. Long ago iPads shit all over Android tablets, but the gap has narrowed considerably. Especially for flagship tablets like the Nexus. You'll probably end up with a nicer screen, but it comes down to software and apps. Do you enjoy using iOS? If not, why buy an iPad? Are there iPad specific apps that really interest you? If not, why buy one?

Like everything Apple touches, iPads are pretty expensive for what they are. I enjoy iOS on tablets way more than on phones, but I'm not sure I'd go out and spend money on an iPad if I already had a quality Android tablet (and vice versa).

/$0.02

Yeah, I love the IR blaster feature that all Samsung tablets come with, I can use it to control all my electronic entertainment devices and lighting. {no piggy it doesn't control womanz} Just in case you read this thread.

If I get an Apple I would need to get a hub to do all those features.

Apples don't come with SD card slots, if you want more memory, you have to delete apps. I wish I would have gotten a Galaxy tab over the ipad I got.

<------ hates all things apple

Also, they are notorious for not allowing you to replace a battery. Battery dies, unit is useless. Probably goes for their tablets as well. That is important to me so that alone would never let me buy another apple anything. I think there's a weirdness with backing up your info too, something about having to have Itunes in order to recover backed up stuff. Can't recall.

Also, they are notorious for not allowing you to replace a battery. Battery dies, unit is useless. Probably goes for their tablets as well. That is important to me so that alone would never let me buy another apple anything. I think there's a weirdness with backing up your info too, something about having to have Itunes in order to recover backed up stuff. Can't recall.

The battery can be replaced, but they don't make it easy (I did it on my iPhone 4s). Some of the screws are tiny, and some need a special (pentalobe / 5 point) screw driver.

There are videos on Youtube that show how to do it, and the battery replacement kit can be purchased on Amazon.

That being said, when this thing finally is no good, I'll probably give Android a try, mainly because you can add a memory card to them.

I just bought a 10" Motorola Xoom off of Craigslist for $50 and it does everything I need it to. I'm not sure why anyone would buy a brand new tablet for any reason at all (I'm not saying that there isn't a good reason to, just that there isn't a good one for me, LOL).

I don't have much to add except I don't have a tablet, just my Galaxy Note 4 or a "phablet." I am not 100% happy with it, but I would never buy apple, its not for me.

Never researched tablets, but my next phone may be a Nexus.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I happen to be an Apple ecosystem guy. My 2013 rMBP, the family's 6 iPhones, my son's 2007 White MB (hand me down from me), Apple TV and of course an iPad all work seamlessly together. The OS is superb, I always know where each is and the condition of each. They all just work.

Think about that 2007 MacBook for a moment. I paid $999 for it 8 years ago. I have added 2GB (1 chip, $28), changed out the HD for a solid state drive ($99) and replaced the battery once ($104). It runs perfectly well. It is speedy and does everything he needs it for except hard core gaming (it never did).

Batteries for i-Devices are EASY to replace. Follow one of the abundant online videos for the first one and the rest are a breeze and cheap to replace. The "tools" are $2.95 on amazon.

Build quality is the best in the business and you can generally count on them being highly reliable for years and years.

The shear amount of Apps available is ridiculous. Additional storage? I pay $0.99/mo for 50GB online and it just keeps getting cheaper. Each of my Apple devices has access to it - seamlessly and without having to remember passwords.

Am I an Apple fanboy? Yeah, sure I am. But I am not usually a follower. I almost always research my purchases to death. Often I research them so long I give up.

Not so with Apple stuff. It just works.

:huh:

I've got an iPad and iPhone and both back up to the cloud.

I had the iPad for two years before I got the iPhone (I used my company issued flip phone) and data from the iPad downloaded to the phone in about 1 minute.

Go to the apps store and download all the apps I already have (if i wanted to).

Regarding the OP, I'd recommend staying with the same OS.

The major reason I got an iPhone is that I already had an iPad. They work seamlessly together. My e-mail, contacts, text messages, calender, etc. are the same on both units and backed up to the cloud nightly.

If you've already got an Android unit, then I assume it will have the same degree of commonality.

I hate my Android phone. Love my ipad (second one I've owned). Probably I would buy several of those new $50 7" tablets from Amazon if I were to buy another tablet today.

I have a 16 GB IPad mini , 16 GM Samsung Tab 3. A 32 GB Amazon fire HD. Where the battery is on its last legs I probably won't get a new one .

The number of ipad apps out there dwarfs android, and it's not even close. I have always liked the Apple system and that's just my humble opinion. I have an original iPad that still works quite well but thinking of upgrading myself.
the Ipad Mini 4 is getting sterling reviews BTW. Really nice.

Rich I'd be going to stores and playing with them a bit too if I were you.

I have 2 kindle fire tablets (original and bigger HD), I use PC's at home and have an iPhone and Apple watch. :shrug:

The one reason I'm hesitant on Apple is my brother bought my mother an Apple air 2 a few weeks ago and she had me set it up, I need to use a stylus in my mouth to operate a tablet, and for some reason the apple air didn't respond well with the stylus. My Galaxy responds great, then one of my buddies told me a story about Steve Jobs saying if you build a tablet right you should never have to use a stylus. Well that don't help me

I happen to be an Apple ecosystem guy. My 2013 rMBP, the family's 6 iPhones, my son's 2007 White MB (hand me down from me), Apple TV and of course an iPad all work seamlessly together. The OS is superb, I always know where each is and the condition of each. They all just work.

Think about that 2007 MacBook for a moment. I paid $999 for it 8 years ago. I have added 2GB (1 chip, $28), changed out the HD for a solid state drive ($99) and replaced the battery once ($104). It runs perfectly well. It is speedy and does everything he needs it for except hard core gaming (it never did).

Batteries for i-Devices are EASY to replace. Follow one of the abundant online videos for the first one and the rest are a breeze and cheap to replace. The "tools" are $2.95 on amazon.

Build quality is the best in the business and you can generally count on them being highly reliable for years and years.

The shear amount of Apps available is ridiculous. Additional storage? I pay $0.99/mo for 50GB online and it just keeps getting cheaper. Each of my Apple devices has access to it - seamlessly and without having to remember passwords.

Am I an Apple fanboy? Yeah, sure I am. But I am not usually a follower. I almost always research my purchases to death. Often I research them so long I give up.

Not so with Apple stuff. It just works.

I'm with this guy. Apple works and I've been using Apple comps in a business setting with constant internet access, phones and tablets, too, and haven't had a "freeze" or viral issue since I went to Apple over 3 years ago. I'm never going back to DOS. I like the freedom and reliability Apple gives me w/out the threat of blackouts/freezes/downtime of DOS.

Back