Cam Newton released!

This is one of the true bombshells of the Belichick era.

I can't wait for the next presser to see the sharks circling Bill so that he tells them his inner feelings about all of this.

The only thing more surprising than releasing Cam would be if he tells everybody exactly why he really did it.

I'm thinking that last week's 2nd opinion trip by Cam didn't go quite as the public narrative of "a mutual misunderstanding", or however it was phrased, suggested it did and Newton did something they just didn't want to have to deal with. I'm sure we'll have some juicy conspiracy theories popping up very soon.

One thing to possibly consider is that Bill cut Lawyer Milloy because (I'm paraphrasing) that while he understood Milloy was clearly a team leader, Bill felt Milloy had started to become a "negative" leader over time and a clubhouse Lawyer (pun intended). I think it's possible that the same thing applied here. Newton's public persona was that he was super popular with everybody, but it's possible that behind the scenes there were problems with his study habits or something else we don't get to see.

I keep thinking about that play the other night where he threw way behind Meyers on the blitz. If Bill determined that Cam didn't adjust an obvious protection adjustment correctly then he might have said "If he hasn't figured out his responsibilities yet with over a year in the system then........."
The Milloy example, By the way - that year the Pats started with Buffalo (got demolished 31-0) and ended with Buffalo (demolished them by the mirror image score).

For that reason, I’m kinda hoping Flores picks up Cam this week………. 😉

Last edited:
Damn, guess I missed some major news while I was working!

Mac has been the better of the 2 QBs but BB starting a rank rookie? Surprise!!
I'm fine with that. He is who I thought he was.
Cam obviously wanted a fresh start and controversy with him on the roster would surely have come at some point. Both are good reasons to release him.
No need for any of that. If you have 2 you have none is the wise saying.

Good luck Mac. We're all behind you 100%!

The Milloy, By the way - that year the Pats started with Buffalo (got demolished 31-0) and ended with Buffalo (demolished them by the mirror image score).

For that reason, I’m kinda hoping Flores picks up Cam this week………. 😉

I think Flores has enough on his hands getting Tua up to speed.

Tua vs Mac right out the gate!!

This is one of the true bombshells of the Belichick era.

I can't wait for the next presser to see the sharks circling Bill so that he tells them his inner feelings about all of this.

The only thing more surprising than releasing Cam would be if he tells everybody exactly why he really did it.

I'm thinking that last week's 2nd opinion trip by Cam didn't go quite as the public narrative of "a mutual misunderstanding", or however it was phrased, suggested it did and Newton did something they just didn't want to have to deal with. I'm sure we'll have some juicy conspiracy theories popping up very soon.

One thing to possibly consider is that Bill cut Lawyer Milloy because (I'm paraphrasing) that while he understood Milloy was clearly a team leader, Bill felt Milloy had started to become a "negative" leader over time and a clubhouse Lawyer (pun intended). I think it's possible that the same thing applied here. Newton's public persona was that he was super popular with everybody, but it's possible that behind the scenes there were problems with his study habits or something else we don't get to see.

I keep thinking about that play the other night where he threw way behind Meyers on the blitz. If Bill determined that Cam didn't adjust an obvious protection adjustment correctly then he might have said "If he hasn't figured out his responsibilities yet with over a year in the system then........."
You are really over thinking this IMO. Cam sucked on the field. Mac outplayed him. Bill made the obvious choice that none of us (myself included) saw coming. It is quite thrilling!

‘According to Adam Beasley of The Athletic, a “combination” of factors led to Newton’s release on Tuesday, the final cutdown day for the Patriots to trim their roster to 53 players. Among the factors: the “emergence” of rookie Mac Jones, whom the team also named the starter, Newton’s “vaccination stance,” and Newton’s “uninspiring” performance over the summer.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can bet Flores and that good defense will throw some wrinkles at Mac.

It's a good thing he has already started studying the Patriots defensive play book.

Flores is licking his chops at the thought of getting after Mac. The Dolphins have a good D and he knows how to confuse a QB.
I had this game as a win for us. Now I'm not so sure esp. with Gilmore out.
Anticipation is killing me.

McAfee's take.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For those 5 days Cam Newton was aht the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Patriots?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Patriots</a> were able to get a look at how Mac Jones handled the duties of a starting QB &amp; how the team responded to him.<br><br>Not just ON the field but everything behind the scenes as well <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PatMcAfeeShowLIVE?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#PatMcAfeeShowLIVE</a> <a href="https://t.co/MoArTwx9GW">pic.twitter.com/MoArTwx9GW</a></p>&mdash; Pat McAfee (@PatMcAfeeShow) <a href="
View: https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1432740302817841152?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
">August 31, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Flores is licking his chops at the thought of getting after Mac. The Dolphins have a good D and he knows how to confuse a QB.
I agree. While we are all celebrating the exit of Cam, the rest of the league is licking their chops to get a rookie QB. And Miami has two weeks to prepare. The Gilmore news was a sucker punch. We are going to let up a lot of yards through the air until he gets back.

Mac has been the better of the 2 QBs but BB starting a rank rookie?
In 2001 Brady clearly outplayed Bledsoe in the preseason. Bledsoe > Newton but Brady wasn't a rookie either. I'm shocked, even more than when BB drafted an OG in the first round.

Luckily BB has two weeks to prepare for Tua. It definitely looks like it'll be a defensive struggle unless Pats run game goes HAM.

While we are all celebrating the exit of Cam
You just said you wish BB had kept Cam????? It must be tough trying to decide how to spin things based on who you hate more, Cam playing here while Brady's gone, or BB for letting Brady go.

How about we go positive here and celebrate our new franchise QB, and hard as it might be, give BB credit for releasing Cam. This way there's no booing when Mac has the inevitable rookie bad games.

Back