JimmyG to Cleveland?

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
PFT is stirring the pot with Mike Lombardi, speculating on an off-season trade with Cleveland.

Former Browns, Patriots exec sees a Garoppolo trade to Cleveland

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 10, 2016, 8:22 AM EST

A former Browns and Patriots executive is talking up the possibility that the Browns and Patriots will make a trade for quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo in the offseason.

Mike Lombardi, a longtime friend and colleague of Patriots coach Bill Belichick who also served as G.M. of the Browns in 2013, said on FS1 that he thinks the trade would make sense for both teams.

“The next quarterback that’ll be the Cleveland Browns’ quarterback perhaps is Jimmy Garoppolo in New England,” Lombardi said, via the Akron Beacon Journal. “I think Cleveland understands, [coach] Hue Jackson specifically understands he needs a quarterback. I think they’ll be very aggressive. I think Jimmy Garoppolo’s on top of their list, and I think they’ll go hard after him.”

Lombardi didn’t work with the current brass in Cleveland, and when he was last with the Patriots Garoppolo had never started a regular-season game, so he may not have a lot of insight into the teams’ current thinking about Garoppolo’s worth. The trade could make sense, though. The Browns still need to find a franchise quarterback, and most draft analysts don’t think there’s a franchise quarterback available in the 2017 NFL draft. And the Patriots, who are set at quarterback with Tom Brady, may think that there’s no reason not to acquire something of value for Garoppolo.

Garoppolo is under contract next year at just $820,000 before hitting free agency in 2018. That means the Patriots are under no salary cap pressure to trade him and can drive a hard bargain. The Browns, with two first-round picks and two second-round picks in the 2017 NFL draft, may be the team best suited to putting together a package that would pry Garoppolo out of New England.

If the season ended today, Cleveland would have the #1 and #9 picks of the draft. The 2nd pick is coming from Philly.

IMO, a lot depends on what the Pats think of Jacoby.

PFT is stirring the pot with Mike Lombardi, speculating on an off-season trade with Cleveland.

Former Browns, Patriots exec sees a Garoppolo trade to Cleveland

If the season ended today, Cleveland would have the #1 and #9 picks of the draft. The 2nd pick is coming from Philly.

IMO, a lot depends on what the Pats think of Jacoby.
My guess is that BB doesn't want the overall #1. But he probably would take the #9 (or wherever it winds up, could be better, Philly is in freefall right now) and a couple of 2nd round picks.

I see no reason to trade JimmyG since he's good insurance if TB gets hurt. However, if an overwhelming deal is offered, it may be in the best interest for the Pats. But my question is why would any team offer an overwhelming deal for JimmyG based on his limited playing time? Perhaps JimmyG will get to start vs Miami in the last game if the Pats have the 1st seed sewn up by then.

I see no reason to trade JimmyG since he's good insurance if TB gets hurt. However, if an overwhelming deal is offered, it may be in the best interest for the Pats. But my question is why would any team offer an overwhelming deal for JimmyG based on his limited playing time? Perhaps JimmyG will get to start vs Miami in the last game if the Pats have the 1st seed sewn up by then.

Because the QB landscape is full of garbage pail QBs and what Jimmy did show in six quarters was very impressive. He has all the tools to be successful - quick release, good pocket presence, ability to read the defense and of course has learned behind the GOAT QB and HC.

Cleveland basically has picks to burn given what they got for the Wentz trade last year. I would be ALL for the Pats getting the number one overall pick for Jimmy as they could trade down and get a bonanza picks like both the Titans and Browns got last year. They could basically turn the number one overall into top picks this year AND next year.

Because the QB landscape is full of garbage pail QBs and what Jimmy did show in six quarters was very impressive. He has all the tools to be successful - quick release, good pocket presence, ability to read the defense and of course has learned behind the GOAT QB and HC.

Cleveland basically has picks to burn given what they got for the Wentz trade last year. I would be ALL for the Pats getting the number one overall pick for Jimmy as they could trade down and get a bonanza picks like both the Titans and Browns got last year. They could basically turn the number one overall into top picks this year AND next year.

No doubt he was impressive but 6 quarters isn't enough of a resume for most GMs who value their jobs. That's a huge risk but otoh who knows what it would take to pry JG away in BB's mind? He may think the 9th pick is enough. This discussion will go on and on until early preseason next year so get used to it.

No doubt he was impressive but 6 quarters isn't enough of a resume for most GMs who value their jobs. That's a huge risk but otoh who knows what it would take to pry JG away in BB's mind? He may think the 9th pick is enough. This discussion will go on and on until early preseason next year so get used to it.

6 great quarters is better than most quarters from other potential FA QBs out there or the draft where you have no NFL footage. What really helps the Pats is this QB draft class is weak so that helps the value for Jimmy. I mean this is working out beautifully for Bill. He has all the cards and all the power with Jimmy still being under contract. I do think he waits for a team to get desperate to make the trade or he does the Browns a favor and trades him there as there is no other team that has higher picks to offer than the Browns right now.

I still maintain the biggest question as to whether Jimmy gets traded or not is how Bill feels about Brissett. Remember he got to see Brissett play MORE than Jimmy and can evaluate him and his progression based off of that. If he is high on Brissett than Jimmy is gone and I fully expect the Pats to draft another QB either his draft or next draft.

6 great quarters is better than most quarters from other potential FA QBs out there or the draft where you have no NFL footage. What really helps the Pats is this QB draft class is weak so that helps the value for Jimmy. I mean this is working out beautifully for Bill. He has all the cards and all the power with Jimmy still being under contract. I do think he waits for a team to get desperate to make the trade or he does the Browns a favor and trades him there as there is no other team that has higher picks to offer than the Browns right now.

I still maintain the biggest question as to whether Jimmy gets traded or not is how Bill feels about Brissett. Remember he got to see Brissett play MORE than Jimmy and can evaluate him and his progression based off of that. If he is high on Brissett than Jimmy is gone and I fully expect the Pats to draft another QB either his draft or next draft.

I maintain the biggest question as to whether JG gets traded is how JG himself feels about being a backup vs a starter for a potentially lousy team like the Browns. He could force a trade easily if he went to BB and said he's not willing to do be a backup beyond 2017. BB holds a great hand with other teams but JG has more leverage than PFT thinks with the Patriots. Either way JG will make the same money in 2017 so he's looking at 2018 for his big pay raise. That means if BB wants a maximum return on his investment he has to trade JG this off season to give his new team time to get him ready for their offense & to let the team enjoy having him for little money next year. The tradeoff would be losing JG as TB's insurance policy in 2017 if TB gets injured. Only BB can weigh the risk/reward of any trade of JG.

I like Hue as an offensive mind and all but I'd hate to see jg here...they aren't well set up for a young qb to succeed yet.
I'm thinking maybe this rgIII audition will play into things a bit too. rumor is here that hue was all for him, and not that enamored of any of the other qbs...to the point the tc "competition" was rigged in his favor.

I maintain the biggest question as to whether JG gets traded is how JG himself feels about being a backup vs a starter for a potentially lousy team like the Browns. He could force a trade easily if he went to BB and said he's not willing to do be a backup beyond 2017. BB holds a great hand with other teams but JG has more leverage than PFT thinks with the Patriots. Either way JG will make the same money in 2017 so he's looking at 2018 for his big pay raise. That means if BB wants a maximum return on his investment he has to trade JG this off season to give his new team time to get him ready for their offense & to let the team enjoy having him for little money next year. The tradeoff would be losing JG as TB's insurance policy in 2017 if TB gets injured. Only BB can weigh the risk/reward of any trade of JG.

Jimmy has zero say in what happens to him. He has no leverage. He is on his rookie deal and it does not matter whether he wants to stay or not. Bill will trade him in a heart beat to a team like the Browns if he feels it is best for the Pats. That being said, if Bill truly feels Brady will fulfill his contract and play until age 42 then I can't see him make Jimmy sit as a back up for that long not when there are hungry teams willing to fork over high picks for him and he would eventually have to pay him and Brady after next season anyways.

BTW, whose to say Jimmy is not the QB to turn the Browns into a winning franchise? Most great QBs go to lousy teams. That is generally how it works thru the draft anyways.

I don't think getting both of those picks would be worth it to trade Jimmy away. It's gotta be more than that.

Having said that, the thought of putting him in control on a good team that just needs a QB, particularly one in the AFC scares me and at least if he was dealt to Cleveland you can bet he alone couldn't make them instant contenders, so something like that would be at least preferable.

For those that are drooling over the possibility of getting big, bombshell draft picks next spring I'd like to cool those thoughts off a bit by suggesting that this kid could be the next Drew Brees and trading him might be the biggest mistake Belichick ever made in New England.

OTOH, keeping him is going to be next to impossible, so it's certainly not a crazy speculation and one way or the other this is going to be a huge story.

You can love Christmas or hate it, but one thing you can't do is ignore it and the Jimmy G. saga is going to be much the same way.

Jimmy has zero say in what happens to him. He has no leverage. He is on his rookie deal and it does not matter whether he wants to stay or not. Bill will trade him in a heart beat to a team like the Browns if he feels it is best for the Pats. That being said, if Bill truly feels Brady will fulfill his contract and play until age 42 then I can't see him make Jimmy sit as a back up for that long not when there are hungry teams willing to fork over high picks for him and he would eventually have to pay him and Brady after next season anyways.

BTW, whose to say Jimmy is not the QB to turn the Browns into a winning franchise? Most great QBs go to lousy teams. That is generally how it works thru the draft anyways.

Read what I said again. I never said JG has any say about being traded but he has all the say about staying as a backup or leaving for more money. If BB wants to keep him but he wants to be a starter somewhere else, JG has all the leverage. That's what I said and if you think BB can force him to stay beyond 2017 you're right but only by franchising him at $20M+.

The Pats have 4 options:
1. Keep him and let walk after 2017
2. Trade him
3. Keep him and franchise him for $20M+ for 2018 - not happening
4. Sign him to a long term back loaded deal. JG has ALL the say in this option. If JG says he wants to be a starter some other team will pay the price. See my point now?

Read what I said again. I never said JG has any say about being traded but he has all the say about staying as a backup or leaving for more money. If BB wants to keep him but he wants to be a starter somewhere else, JG has all the leverage. That's what I said and if you think BB can force him to stay beyond 2017 you're right but only by franchising him at $20M+.

The Pats have 4 options:
1. Keep him and let walk after 2017
2. Trade him
3. Keep him and franchise him for $20M+ for 2018 - not happening
4. Sign him to a long term back loaded deal. JG has ALL the say in this option. If JG says he wants to be a starter some other team will pay the price. See my point now?
Gotcha. That is the issue IMO. If they keep Jimmy past next year then they will owe him big money which is why I think they trade him this off-season if they are planning on trading him at all.

Why do any teams trade up for any rookie qb? They do it for the player's potential...

I think that the Pats should trade JG if they are looking at a 1 and a 2, or two 2s and a 3, or something along those lines. I believe BB will keep the kid for another year and take the comp pick while having a solid backup for TFB.

Jimmy has zero say in what happens to him. He has no leverage. He is on his rookie deal and it does not matter whether he wants to stay or not. Bill will trade him in a heart beat to a team like the Browns if he feels it is best for the Pats.
If the Pats want value for him, I think he has all the leverage. IMO, the Browns aren't giving a first round pick unless JG agrees to a long-term deal as part of the trade. If he doesn't want to go to Cleveland, he just refuses to sign a new deal. Cleveland isn't giving a high first round pick for one year of JG.

If he wants to go to Cleveland or whatever team the Pats are (hypothetically) trading him to, he signs a long-term deal with them. If he doesn't agree to a new deal, he stays with the Pats for one year and then is a FA, or if the Browns give up a first rounder for him with no new deal in place, he plays for the Browns for a year and then is FA.

The only year over which he doesn't have ALL the leverage is 2017, and unless the Pats want to give him away cheaply, he has most of the leverage there, also.

If the Pats want value for him, I think he has all the leverage. IMO, the Browns aren't giving a first round pick unless JG agrees to a long-term deal as part of the trade. If he doesn't want to go to Cleveland, he just refuses to sign a new deal. Cleveland isn't giving a high first round pick for one year of JG.

If he wants to go to Cleveland or whatever team the Pats are (hypothetically) trading him to, he signs a long-term deal with them. If he doesn't agree to a new deal, he stays with the Pats for one year and then is a FA, or if the Browns give up a first rounder for him with no new deal in place, he plays for the Browns for a year and then is FA.

The only year over which he doesn't have ALL the leverage is 2017, and unless the Pats want to give him away cheaply, he has most of the leverage there, also.

The Browns just traded for Collins with no new deal. I don't think any team will want to sign Jimmy to a new deal right now. They would rather see him play out his final year on his rookie deal before committing a big contract to him and then they can franchise him after that and work on a long term deal assuming Jimmy has the goods. The whole point in trading for Jimmy now is to avoid a big contract and try him out for a year even it means given up a couple of high picks. I mean the Vikes just did that for Bradford so the Browns or the Saints or the Bears would gladly do that to get Jimmy.

P.S. I think Jimmy will go anywhere to be a starter rather than be Brady's back up for a 4th year. JMO.

The Browns just traded for Collins with no new deal.
Yes, I said the only way the Pats have leverage is if they are willing to give JG away.

IIRC, Pats get a fourth round pick if the Browns sign Collins to a new deal, or if they don't sign Collins, the Pats get the compensatory pick the Browns get when Collins becomes a FA and signs elsewhere.

I doubt the Pats will do that.

I hear you that a team would be reluctant to sign JG to a long-term deal, but trading a first for a guy with one year on his contract is IMO lose-lose: If he player sucks, you lose a first round pick for nothing; if the player is awesome, he'll be an awesome FA who can go to the highest bidder and you're at the mercy of some other needy team will sign him for bigger bucks.

It's all conjecture, of course. A team like the Browns with 2 first round picks might not value them and give one for a year's worth of JG, or Bill might be willing to let JG go for a lot less than a first round pick.

I just don't see either happening. Personally I hope they find a way to keep JG, which with my track record means they'll probably get 2 firsts and 3 seconds for him, and Brissett will go on to break Brady's number-of-games-won record.

Isn't the more Clevelandy thing to do would be to trade for Brissett?

JG has years of proper development. Then, when his chance came he shined.

Take the costs to acquire Wentz, Goff, RGIII. Whoever.

That's the STARTING point.

Sam Fvcking Bradford.

You guys willing to flip him for a 2nd and some hub caps off an Impala are foolish.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, that we get with any said draft pick package is going to be comparable to a decade plus of high level QB play. Just look at the teams that have struggled to land that guy.

I don't want to be a team like that again.

Back