JimmyG to Cleveland?

Matt Schaub was also traded for two 2's I believe and Atlanta and Houston swapped 1s as well.

Schaub was also their starter for 7 years, and made 2 pro bowls.

That's about what a reasonable expectation from a first-round pick would be.

Sure. But Jimmy has looked better than Schaub, Flynn, etc. and the league is more QB starved now then it has ever been. Still, I don't think the Pats get more than 2 high picks for him if they trade him.

I really don't think Garoppolo's going anywhere, unless Belichick just gets overwhelmed (multiple first round picks, multiple years, other picks) by an offer.

I think they want him to be the next Starting QB of the NEP. I think they franchise him if it comes to that, and $70 mil under the cap makes that very doable.

Couldn't agree more.

Sure. But Jimmy has looked better than Schaub, Flynn, etc. and the league is more QB starved now then it has ever been. Still, I don't think the Pats get more than 2 high picks for him if they trade him.

Plus playing behind TFB and having JMCD as your OC might add value.

Sure, he did well AFTER the trade. That's why teams give up high draft picks to get a QB that might do well. Before the trade he was a no-name mediocre backup for the Falcons. Your post implied there were very few trades made with a high draft pick for unproven QBs.

As I said, I'd like to keep JG, but if he is traded I would expect an excellent return. In 2009, 2e got the #34 pick for Matt Cassel who did well except for losing to every good team on the schedule.

Sure, he did well AFTER the trade. That's why teams give up high draft picks to get a QB that might do well. Before the trade he was a no-name mediocre backup for the Falcons. Your post implied there were very few trades made with a high draft pick for unproven QBs.

As I said, I'd like to keep JG, but if he is traded I would expect an excellent return. In 2009, 2e got the #34 pick for Matt Cassel who did well except for losing to every good team on the schedule.

He was a well-regarded backup, who had a good record in relief for the oft-injured Michael Vick.

As we all know it just takes ONE team to make a deal. The Eagles never thought they could swindle a 1 and 4 for Bradford I am sure but then Teddy goes down and bam, bonanza. I have to believe Bill is surveying every team to see what the best return would be IF he is serious about trading Jimmy. He can wait and wait until a team becomes desperate like right before the draft or after the draft when a starter goes down before pulling the trigger.

I would be FINE with the number one overall from the Browns as Bill can trade out of that pick and yield a truck load of picks for this draft and next year's draft.

I would be FINE with the number one overall from the Browns as Bill can trade out of that pick and yield a truck load of picks for this draft and next year's draft.

since i don't follow college ball, i have no clue if there is a player that is the to die for #1 that some team or teams would be interested in trading future bunches of picks with the pats to get. i don't believe there is a qb there, and usually that is the only position a team will lose their minds over draft pick wise.

since i don't follow college ball, i have no clue if there is a player that is the to die for #1 that some team or teams would be interested in trading future bunches of picks with the pats to get. i don't believe there is a qb there, and usually that is the only position a team will lose their minds over draft pick wise.

We could trade back a couple of times. There are always players teams salivate over in the top 10. We could take that overall pick and turn it into draft gold.

Matt Schaub was also traded for two 2's I believe and Atlanta and Houston swapped 1s as well.

Schaub was a 3rd round pick out of UVA. I watched a significant amount of his college career because he was local. He and Vick were drafted the same year, and there were more than a few who thought he should have been starting ahead of Vick. Before the injuries, Schaub was a baller and was somebody I always enjoyed watching.

I am split on trading JG almost regardless of the return.

We have all seen what a great QB does for a team. It scares me a little that we may have the replacement for GOAT and even if he is 85% of Brady we will have been VERY lucky to get him.

Maybe it is a little irrational of me, but I am scared to trade him. I don't want to live with even an average QB for the decade it could take to find another really good one.

And I am not even sure he is 85%.

Crap. I'm a chicken.

I'd probably franchise him in 2018 if i was pretty sure tb was done after 2017, so call me nuts.

I'd probably franchise him in 2018 if i was pretty sure tb was done after 2017, so call me nuts.

You're not nuts at all. We'd all like to keep him if at all possible. A lot has to do with JG himself. Is he willing to continue being a backup for 2-3 more years? If not, he'll be traded or he'll walk after 2017 or after being franchised in 2018.

The Browns are supposedly smitten with a DE from Texas A&M Myles Garrett.

That is just a huge cap hit for one position, and how can you be pretty sure about anything really. I would not have given you good odds that Brady would be playing good at 39, so who knows. I just find it interesting that the pats drafted another QB high with JG already here.

Back