Kaep files lawsuit against the NFL for "collusion."

How would he even prove collusion? Does he simply think he's such a talent that no reasonable group of 32 football minds could leave him unsigned? Because that's pretty much the argument of fans. If that all he's got then I just have to laugh.

Employers reject potential hires for numerous reasons every day. If they checked your FB and found things that made them uneasy about how you'd impact their corporate culture then they'd likely pass. No different here. And contrary to what he thinks, he's nowhere near good enough for teams to overlook the circus he'll bring to town if they sign him. He'll be a giant distraction and is unlikely to help any team win football games after how bad he looked last time he played.

The whole thing is ridiculous. He needs to hire a PR consultant and ditch his GF.

How would he even prove collusion?

Employers reject potential hires for numerous reasons every day.

Exactly. You don't need to assume collusion to get to the point where a guy isn't employable. Only a small number of teams can use him, and there's no reason those teams can't come to their own conclusions that having him on the team (even just riding the bench) would be a pain in the ass.

It doesn't take collusion for most of the NFL teams to pass on him.

For him to be a backup QB, the team already had to run an offense that played to his skills. He's not a pocket passer and so you'd have to run a mobile offensive scheme.

It simply doesn't make sense to have to change your offense that drastically should you need to put in the backup.

So that rules out the vast majority of the teams in the NFL.

Also, it was reported he wanted $10M a year.

That's a lot for a backup QB, so he better be worth it. He isn't.

Put the two together, and that's why he's not playing.

There are really 2 ways of looking at this.

If Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees, Ben Roethisberger and Cam Newton took a knee would they be unemployed. The answer is obviously no.

If Colin Kaepernick didn't take a knee would he be employed? I'd say the answer is a qualified yes, the qualification being would Keap be interested in a backup or competion role?

So yes, his protest had an effect, but his play did too. If he was a better QB teams would put up with the protest.

If Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees, Ben Roethisberger and Cam Newton took a knee would they be unemployed. The answer is obviously no.

If Colin Kaepernick didn't take a knee would he be employed? I'd say the answer is a qualified yes, the qualification being would Keap be interested in a backup or competion role?

So yes, his protest had an effect, but his play did too. If he was a better QB teams would put up with the protest.
I could also ask would he have been hired by Baltimore if his girlfriend didn't call the owner racist?

or Miami if he didn't make the Cuba comments?

I would think that stopped those two teams from signing him.

wearing the Pig Sox didn't help either.

none of that has anything to do with his taking a knee. The owner was pissed, the Miami fans upset, and the pig socks caused a lot of police to take offense, the same police that volunteer to work the games.

I could also ask would he have been hired by Baltimore if his girlfriend didn't call the owner racist?

or Miami if he didn't make the Cuba comments?

I would think that stopped those two teams from signing him.

wearing the Pig Sox didn't help either.

none of that has anything to do with his taking a knee. The owner was pissed, the Miami fans upset, and the pig socks caused a lot of police to take offense, the same police that volunteer to work the games.

It reminds me of the schlub who can't hold down a job because he always does something to get himself fired, then always claims it was someone else's fault that he's not working.

The whole thing is ridiculous. He needs to hire a PR consultant and ditch his GF.

His unemployment is far more useful to the cause than getting signed would be. As long as he's unemployed, he holds claim to the mantle of victim. That of a martyr. His claim to be fighting a great injustice is bolstered by the suffering it has brought him.

If a team signs him, it becomes harder to claim the NFL is against social justice which has always been the goal. They still will of course. If he's a backup the charge will be that he's not starting as punishment. If he starts and sucks it will be because the team he plays for isn't supporting him. If he starts and is successful the narrative will be how terrible the NFL is for fighting against social justice in route of themselves.

There is no scenario in which the NFL will not be painted as a bully. That has been the goal the whole time. Damage the NFL. Make people stop watching.

Probably not Kaep's goal. He strikes me as a naive young man trying to make a woman happy. (Who among us couldn't be described that way at some point?). I suspect he's being used to further a political agenda.

To some of the comments about distraction and circus and the like, all I can say is...

Because there's no circus and distraction now, right?

:coffee:

To some of the comments about distraction and circus and the like, all I can say is...

Right now it's a media-driven league-wide story. No one team is in the crosshairs. The minute you sign him, the focus is on YOU. Is he playing? How are you using him? The microphones are constantly in his face in your locker room, not someone else's. It makes a difference.

Yes, but right now the distraction and circus is unfocused. Or I suppose rather it's spread out evenly over all 32 teams.

But the moment a team signs him...

The reason why the Seachickens never signed him was that he is asking starter qb $...would you pay starter qb money for a backup?

Oh wait, JimmyG might be in the same situation next year...nevahmind. :coffee:

NFLs closing argument: "Your honor, he was benched for Blaine Gabbert."

This is the closing argument. And the thing that the media loves to forget.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

If you guys don't think there's collusion at play here... wow...

There is no collusion at play here.

He has the right politics which is all that matters.

I also see a whole lot of generalized complaints he's unemployed and very few specific demands from fans that their team pick him up. He's the ultimate NIMBY QB.

It's a low cost, no consequence way to let the world know you have virtue.

I don't have dissimilar politics to Colin Kaepernick.

I've also been very consistent all along about how I feel about the start of the protests was an attempt to secure a job with the 49ers (and was successful).

Kaepernick OPTED OUT of his final year in San Francisco. He QUIT his job, willingly.

Also, he ****ing sucks as a QB, and as Jaric said before, was benched for Blaine Gabbert, who, as far as I know, is also no longer in the league.

The sports media and partisan hacks on the left have co-opted this situation to try to make it something it isn't, and trying to analyze something they don't understand. All they see is 'Herp Derp Super Bowl 5 years ago, did knee for totally altruistic reasons (no), can't get job."

Any owner would be bonkers to sign this guy. It's Tebow x 1000.

I don't know that the bolded is true. If he opted out of the money he opted out of, what would he be looking for somewhere else?

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

If he's a backup the charge will be that he's not starting as punishment. If he starts and sucks it will be because the team he plays for isn't supporting him. If he starts and is successful the narrative will be how terrible the NFL is for fighting against social justice in route of themselves.

Well this right here is the Tebow effect. The Holy Rollers did exactly this.

I don't have dissimilar politics to Colin Kaepernick.

I've also been very consistent all along about how I feel about the start of the protests was an attempt to secure a job with the 49ers (and was successful).

Kaepernick OPTED OUT of his final year in San Francisco. He QUIT his job, willingly.

Also, he ****ing sucks as a QB, and as Jaric said before, was benched for Blaine Gabbert, who, as far as I know, is also no longer in the league.

The sports media and partisan hacks on the left have co-opted this situation to try to make it something it isn't, and trying to analyze something they don't understand. All they see is 'Herp Derp Super Bowl 5 years ago, did knee for totally altruistic reasons (no), can't get job."

Any owner would be bonkers to sign this guy. It's Tebow x 1000.

Gabbert is a backup for Carson Palmer...I think.

Gabbert is a backup for Carson Palmer...I think.

Good for that guy then. The only reason he lost his job in SF again, is because Kaepernick started taking a knee for the anthem, and was bringing it to the media's attention.

Let's not forget, Kaepernick was doing that for over a month, and no one even cared or noticed.

Unless Kaepernick has tangible evidence that multiple teams actually conspired to deny him the chance to continue to play in the NFL, he has zero case.

Heard a lot of mumbling to the tune of "but maybe this team or that -did- forego to sign Kaepernick the opportunity to play because of the protests," but that's not collusion and to my knowledge it's not against the CBA. Teams have a right to dislike a player for subjective reasons. It happens all the time.

Team A Doesn't need Kaepernick doesn't consider him

Team B needs a QB, doesn't want to lose fans and sponsors.

Team C doesn't like his politics and won't consider him.

Team D thinks he might be worth a look, but he's not worth the potential distraction

Team E is owned by a racist.

Team F is owned by a liberal, but doesn't want to meet his asking price

Team G thinks the same thing as team B

Team H is in the same boat as team A

All this is NOT collusion.

Collusion requires more than one team to get together and decide not to offer him a job regardless of their opinion of his football skills.

This will be the shortest hearing in the history of hearings.

Back