Looking at the Patriots - 2019

Play along!? :toast:

The Pats have 2 trade offers on draft day. They can trade their 2nd rnd pick, 64th, and get a player plus a conditional 5th rnd pick.

1. QB Josh Rosen from AZ

2. WR Sterling Shepard from the Giants

Rosen has 3 years left on his rookie deal plus maybe the 5th year option.
He has a great arm but is said to be a narcissistic, egotistical and self-centered guy who lacks great social skills. The Pats need a developmental QB. He would ride the pine and learn for a year or two unless Brady is injured. His rookie year he was awful but AZ had the 32nd ranked OL and the 32nd ranked running game. Fitzgerald was his only decent WR. He had no help. His play wasn't all on him imo.

Shepard is a very good Slot guy with proven NFL ability who's production compares very well to Julian Edelman's with Eli as his QB. He is due for a new contract in 2020 so he's in his contract year this year. Edelman will be 33 on 5/22. Berrios probably isn't the answer to replace JE otherwise Humphries wouldn't have been targeted. Shepard would play right away in Amendola's role alongside JE. Flawless character and locker room guy.

The Giants may trade for Rosen soon so this much talked-about scenario may not happen. Nevertheless this is a fun exercise.

If I'm making the decision, I trade for Rosen bc of the importance of the QB position. I also think he'd learn how to interact with people by watching Brady for a year or 2. Ditto learning our system.

Shepard is enticing bc of the immediate need for WRs and he's a proven good one. But he's a short term answer to a long term problem.

Rosen is my final answer.

I fear Rosen is not a "Patriot" type player but I think of these two options, I would go with him.

If a team trades for Josh Rosen, the Cardinals would still be on the hook for his signing bonus, right? His new team would only have to pay his base salary and roster bonuses. The cap hit over the next three years would be pretty low:
  • $1,279,898 in 2019
  • $2,079,796 in 2020
  • $2,879,694 in 2021

The Pats have 2 trade offers on draft day. They can trade their 2nd rnd pick, 64th, and get a player plus a conditional 5th rnd pick.

1. QB Josh Rosen from AZ

He has a great arm but is said to be a narcissistic, egotistical and self-centered guy who lacks great social skills. The Pats need a developmental QB. He would ride the pine and learn for a year or two unless Brady is injured. His rookie year he was awful but AZ had the 32nd ranked OL and the 32nd ranked running game. Fitzgerald was his only decent WR. He had no help. His play wasn't all on him imo.

Shepard is a very good Slot guy with proven NFL ability who's production compares very well to Julian Edelman's with Eli as his QB. He is due for a new contract in 2020 so he's in his contract year this year. Edelman will be 33 on 5/22. Berrios probably isn't the answer to replace JE otherwise Humphries wouldn't have been targeted. Shepard would play right away in Amendola's role alongside JE. Flawless character and locker room guy.

The Giants may trade for Rosen soon so this much talked-about scenario may not happen. Nevertheless this is a fun exercise.

If I'm making the decision, I trade for Rosen bc of the importance of the QB position. I also think he'd learn how to interact with people by watching Brady for a year or 2. Ditto learning our system.

Shepard is enticing bc of the immediate need for WRs and he's a proven good one. But he's a short term answer to a long term problem.

Rosen, A QB is harder to find

I fear Rosen is not a "Patriot" type player but I think of these two options, I would go with him.
This is where I come in, we hold a sock party and beat the attitude out of him until he gets the Patriots way.

Rosen, A QB is harder to find

This is where I come in, we hold a sock party and beat the attitude out of him until he gets the Patriots way.

We called them blanket parties in college. They usually started out all in good fun but ultimately someone ended up with a bloody nose or broken tooth.

1. QB Josh Rosen from AZ

Hmmmmm......

Report: Cardinals have been offered a second-round pick for Josh Rosen

Some have insisted that the Cardinals won’t get more than a third-round pick for quarterback Josh Rosen. They’ve reportedly already been offered a second-round pick for Rosen.

Joel Klatt, who serves as a college football and NFL draft analyst for FOX, identified on Wednesday three teams as being “very interested” in the 10th overall pick from 2018: The Patriots, the Giants, and the Chargers.

Per Klatt, one of those teams already has offered a second-round pick for Rosen, the former UCLA quarterback. The Cardinals, according to Klatt, are holding firm for a first-round pick.

At the risk of speculating on sources, Klatt’s status as a college football analyst and FOX’s presence in Southern California invites curiosity as to whether this report bears the fingerprints of Rosen, a former UCLA quarterback who may be getting a little antsy about his uncertain status in Arizona and who may be looking to exercise a little control over the narrative.

Regardless of how it all plays out, we’ll have the answer four weeks from tonight — if not sooner. Which leads to a separate issue that will be the topic of a future post, because my attention span is as limited as your’s and I need a break to go check my phone.

Lower cost and longer term for a draft pick as opposed to a veteran FA, but that first era dynasty started off with Bobby Hamilton, Brandon Mitchell, and Anthony Pleasant. Seymour was the only #1 on the DLine in XXXVI. The rest were old guys BB picked up as Free Agents.

Our defensive backfield had Tebucky Jones, 60-year-old O.T.I.S. and guys like Tyrone Poole, Hank Poteat, and I think earthwind Moreland.

We all think that defense was great, and it was, but not because of big name players and our backfield wasn't kickass at all. The only two real players we had were Milloy and Law, and of those first three SBs Law played only in two and Milloy played only in one. Hank Poteat replaced Law in SBXXXiX and I don't think Seymour played in XXXIX either.

There were better players on the DLine in 2003-4 than 2001, but that first dynasty SB the defense basically ran with role players. It was actually the LB corps that was our best unit, with WMG, Bruschi, and Vrabel.

This is true.

I guess in my minds eye I was harkening longer on the Seymour - VW - Warren combo.

1. QB Josh Rosen from AZ

Shepard all day every day.

Rosen learned how to be a dick over the last 23 years. It’s who he is. Shadowing TB isn’t going to permanently change that.

If the choice is mine I’m agreeing with Giants on a draft day possible deal. Our 2nd, depending on how the board plays out.

If the deal goes down we get a WR that plugs in Day One. Hopefully. Maybe he works out and extends. If not , we get the comp 3 likely the following year. Basically a rental of a cost of about 10 draft slots.

We called them blanket parties in college. They usually started out all in good fun but ultimately someone ended up with a bloody nose or broken tooth.
Even without a broken nose or tooth, I doubt it's good fun for the guy under the blanket, especially as afterwards he doesn't even know who to retaliate against.

I thought that's the reason why Mr. PumpkinPieHairCutGuy hired him in the first place?
Thanks, I just spit coffee all over my keyboard

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

This is true.

I guess in my minds eye I was harkening longer on the Seymour - VW - Warren combo.
Yeah, Wilfork came in what? 2004, right? and there was Washington in 2003 IIRC, and that big guy from Miami, Trayler, but overall we didn't really have star power. Loved the LBs though.

I like for BB to sign and fill as many holes as possible with veteran free agents, even if they aren't HOFers, and then use the draft to just take the best athlete available in any position. Sooner or later the position will run dry and there is something to be said for Ted Marchibroda's philosophy of "Strengthening Your Strengths," becoming dominant in one position.

Patrick Chunk is getting sued for social media BS...some ticket guy for the Rams got fired for actually starting the crap. His last name is Hogan. He sounds like a dim light...

Patrick Chunk is getting sued for social media BS...some ticket guy for the Rams got fired for actually starting the crap. His last name is Hogan. He sounds like a dim light...

Report: Patrick Chung sued by ex-Rams ticket exec for trash talk

Patriots safety Patrick Chung and his camp are being sued for $1.75 million due to some social media trash talk that has led a former Los Angeles Rams ticket executive to be fired, according to TMZ Sports. Matthew Hogan, the former Rams ticket exec., claims he was "forced from his job" and unable to be hired anywhere else after he and Matthew Weymouth, the man who runs Chung's social media account, got into a fight over social media.

Hogan claims that he and Weymouth are college friends and were exchanging some good-natured trash talk prior to the Patriots taking on the Rams in Super Bowl LIII. Then, things took a turn for the vile after Chung broke his arm during the game. It was then when TMZ reports Hogan sent a message to Weymouth saying, "Patrick Chung is a bitch." That upset Weymouth, who then jawed back at Hogan saying things like, "You're a [expletive] for saying that" and "If I see you I'm going to jail and I don't care."

The lawsuit then claims that Hogan is alleging Weymouth posted the screenshots of their heated exchange to Chung's social media channels to make it seem like he was going after the Patriots safety. A comment on the reposted argument on Chung's channels said, "This is disrespectful of you. I would never wish or say anything like this to anyone after they just broke their arm. You should be ashamed bro."

Hogan is claiming that this is defamation as it wasn't made clear that those messages were not sent to Chung himself. Hogan also noted that he has been receiving harassing messages from Chung's followers following the ordeal.

Chung was originally drafted by the Patriots in the second round of the 2009 NFL Draft out of Oregon. He's spent the bulk of his career with New England outside of a lone season with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2013. In his second stint, Chung has established himself as a strong figure in New England's secondary and a leader inside the locker room. This season, Chung totaled 84 tackles in the regular season to go along with three passes defended and an interception. In the playoffs, the safety was able to total seven tackles to go along with a pass defended.

While he was able to win Super Bowl LIII, Chung's season did end on a painful note as he exited Super Bowl LIII after breaking his arm midway through the contest. He is set to miss the start of OTAs, but should be ready to go by the time the 2019 season rolls around.

Even without a broken nose or tooth, I doubt it's good fun for the guy under the blanket, especially as afterwards he doesn't even know who to retaliate against.

Yeah, there is absolutely nothing fun about it.

I’ve been peripherally involved in 1. It was executed to perfection. And trust me, there was no fun.

Go back in the Schrute time machine. Target: 1996.

After a mixed bag of results in college I took to the working world. Found out quickly college life was actually pretty good. Problem: mom and dad weren’t as “up” for paying for tuition as the first go ‘round. Solution: (for an 18 yr old) join National Guard. Get free state school tuition, rather cool part time job, and add to the military commitment the family tradition carried. Boom! Done deal.

Flash forward to lovely Ft Sill OK. The very definition of Flyover country. What the Fvck did I do? Anyways, couple weeks into Basic and we get a re-tread. Guy who flunked out of first go round and gets “recycled”. A try again. The kicker? The only other guy from MA. Immediately caused problems with my standing in Delta Battery. Fvck! “Is this how they make ‘em up in Mass Schrute?”

He was clearly slow. But his real issue? Personal hygiene. This cat Fvcking stunk. Took pride in it. And refused to bath. Absolutely no excuse either. We were in modern day barracks: a large common area with big bunk areas off of each corner holding 4 recruits. Each bunk area with its own shower. So you were theoretically only working your shower schedule around 3 other guys. Easy.

Well he wouldn’t do it. And we’re talking spring/summer in OK. Almost like Africa.

I tried walking near him from mess hall and drills telling him “ look, just shower every night.” He’d look at you like Full Metal Jacket, but he had zero access to armory. He held fast. Refused. So the decision was made. Blanket party.

4 guys. One on each corner. He was top bunk so it made it all the worse for him. Blanket over the top. Man on each corner. He couldn’t go anywhere. One by one the whole battery came in and slugged him. He was at medic the next day. Nobody really laid into him full force. It was more message. But he was gone the day after. We got hell from the Drill Sargents. Put us in the pit, sand area where we did PT. But you could tell from the “punishment“ they were just checking boxes and going thru the motions.

Yeah, there is absolutely nothing fun about it.

I’ve been peripherally involved in 1. It was executed to perfection. And trust me, there was no fun.

Go back in the Schrute time machine. Target: 1996.

After a mixed bag of results in college I took to the working world. Found out quickly college life was actually pretty good. Problem: mom and dad weren’t as “up” for paying for tuition as the first go ‘round. Solution: (for an 18 yr old) join National Guard. Get free state school tuition, rather cool part time job, and add to the military commitment the family tradition carried. Boom! Done deal.

Flash forward to lovely Ft Sill OK. The very definition of Flyover country. What the Fvck did I do? Anyways, couple weeks into Basic and we get a re-tread. Guy who flunked out of first go round and gets “recycled”. A try again. The kicker? The only other guy from MA. Immediately caused problems with my standing in Delta Battery. Fvck! “Is this how they make ‘em up in Mass Schrute?”

He was clearly slow. But his real issue? Personal hygiene. This cat Fvcking stunk. Took pride in it. And refused to bath. Absolutely no excuse either. We were in modern day barracks: a large common area with big bunk areas off of each corner holding 4 recruits. Each bunk area with its own shower. So you were theoretically only working your shower schedule around 3 other guys. Easy.

Well he wouldn’t do it. And we’re talking spring/summer in OK. Almost like Africa.

I tried walking near him from mess hall and drills telling him “ look, just shower every night.” He’d look at you like Full Metal Jacket, but he had zero access to armory. He held fast. Refused. So the decision was made. Blanket party.

4 guys. One on each corner. He was top bunk so it made it all the worse for him. Blanket over the top. Man on each corner. He couldn’t go anywhere. One by one the whole battery came in and slugged him. He was at medic the next day. Nobody really laid into him full force. It was more message. But he was gone the day after. We got hell from the Drill Sargents. Put us in the pit, sand area where we did PT. But you could tell from the “punishment“ they were just checking boxes and going thru the motions.

Great story.

We took it out on Freshmen and once they survived, they were "in"

But sometimes they fought back and that's when shit went bad. One kid transferred dorms cuz his roommate was the one that let us in. He couldn't get over it.

Awkward times seeing that guy in the cafe or anywhere off campus.

Back