Marriage

Marriage,is it a waste of time and money??

• No

Votes: 28 65.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 15 34.9%

• Total voters
P4E* on 10-18-2007 at 04:49 PM said:

*P4E Waves his Fist At Caroline*

"Bitch,Dont Make Me Come Over there"

See, you're basically married already!

Claremonster on 10-18-2007 at 06:45 PM said:
What exactly would you do? Would it be hot? If so, can I try? :D

I don't think my answer is safe for this board.....:D just use your imagination....:p

OK, this is NOW controversial but I'll say it anyway.

If you are going to have kids together, get married. They deserve that. When kids enter the picture it stops being all about you and it begins to be all about them.

My wife is a teacher and she notices a difference between many (not all) kids that come from a two parent household and those that don't. Many of the two parent kids seem happier and better adjusted. Many of the one parent kids seem to have more problems and are not as grounded

OK, tear it apart but I'll stick with the 'expert" in my house.

Now back to the artificial orgasm devise discussion.

Canadian on 10-18-2007 at 04:59 PM said:
We have spawned two wonderful children from this experience

I knew it! You're a salmon.

marriage? MARRIAGE??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? MARRIAGE???? I'M JUST TRYING TO LAID!!!!! MARRIAGE??????????

I voted "No".

-- If you think it's a "waste of time", then you probably shouldn't be thinking about it.

-- Not sure how it's a "waste of money" unless you're referring to the wedding itself... in which case, just do it cheaply. It's certainly not a waste of money to pool salaries, or get a tax break (albeit not a large one).

-- As for the argument, "Half of all marriages will end in divorce", my response would be, "Then half of all people getting married probably shouldn't be." I think too many people rush into it. I mean, really, how long does it take to get to know someone? I say a couple of years, at LEAST. People getting married after knowing each other for a month or two is just whacked, IMO. The way I look at it, someone can lie for a few months, but it's REALLY hard to lie for a few years, so eventually you'll figure out he/she is a cheat, a thief, an abuser, a drunk, etc,.. (or simply is a decent person but just isn't the right one for you).

JD10367 on 10-18-2007 at 06:21 PM said:
I voted "No".

-- If you think it's a "waste of time", then you probably shouldn't be thinking about it.

-- Not sure how it's a "waste of money" unless you're referring to the wedding itself... in which case, just do it cheaply. It's certainly not a waste of money to pool salaries, or get a tax break (albeit not a large one).

-- As for the argument, "Half of all marriages will end in divorce", my response would be, "Then half of all people getting married probably shouldn't be." I think too many people rush into it. I mean, really, how long does it take to get to know someone? I say a couple of years, at LEAST. People getting married after knowing each other for a month or two is just whacked, IMO. The way I look at it, someone can lie for a few months, but it's REALLY hard to lie for a few years, so eventually you'll figure out he/she is a cheat, a thief, an abuser, a drunk, etc,.. (or simply is a decent person but just isn't the right one for you).

A woman I worked with met her husband on a Wed. He was going on a bike trip that weekend and asked her to go with, and she did. Three weeks later they were married. That was 40 years and 4 kids ago and they are still happily married. :shrug:

I think it's odd that people need so much time before deciding to get married. I mean, if you're not sure after 3 years that this is the person for you, then it probably isn't.

I mean, the statistics show that people who are together for longer periods of time before getting married, are more likely to get divorced than those who were together only a couple years before getting married.

And MPN.... If two people are together, whether they're married or living together happily, then really what's the difference when it comes to having kids? It's still a two parent home. Does it really make a difference on parenting if there isn't a piece of paper saying they're married? I do agree that a two parent home is better in the majority of cases, but whether they're married or simply living together really doesn't make a difference, IMO.

JD10367 on 10-18-2007 at 04:21 PM said:
I voted "No".

:thumb: :clap:

mgoblue101415 on 10-18-2007 at 08:01 PM said:
A woman I worked with met her husband on a Wed. He was going on a bike trip that weekend and asked her to go with, and she did. Three weeks later they were married. That was 40 years and 4 kids ago and they are still happily married. :shrug:

I think it's odd that people need so much time before deciding to get married. I mean, if you're not sure after 3 years that this is the person for you, then it probably isn't.

I mean, the statistics show that people who are together for longer periods of time before getting married, are more likely to get divorced than those who were together only a couple years before getting married.

And MPN.... If two people are together, whether they're married or living together happily, then really what's the difference when it comes to having kids? It's still a two parent home. Does it really make a difference on parenting if there isn't a piece of paper saying they're married? I do agree that a two parent home is better in the majority of cases, but whether they're married or simply living together really doesn't make a difference, IMO.

I proposed to my wife 2 months after meeting her and we were married 6 months later

that was 15 years ago....

EDIT: oops it was 8 months later not 6 it's hell getting old

mgoblue101415 on 10-18-2007 at 05:01 PM said:

2-3-4 years sounds about right to know who someone really is. That is being around that person all the time, not them being in the military and only seeing them every 6 months or so and then once you get to be with them for more than that you realize they so aren't the person you thought they were runonsentence.

patsload on 10-18-2007 at 05:03 PM said:
I proposed to my wife 2 months after meeting her and we were married 6 months later

that was 15 years ago....

I really think that is so beautiful wuv. But you have to admit, that really isn't always the best decision. I guess there are people that rush into it just to be married (that's why I think a woman pressuring a man is the worst and stupidest decision evah) and then there are people who just "know".

I was with a dude for 3 years, he was in the military during the time. I went out there a couple of summers for a month and the more I was around him the more I realized he did all the little things that irritate me, things that I couldn't notice in letters and phone calls.

My husband now, well we just went at it for a couple of months and found out I was pregnant and then decided that we were cool enough with each other and we should be able to make it work. Married 6.5 years with 5 kids. And couldn't be happier.

So I guess it varies:huh: No set standard. Marriage goes to shit when people stop respecting each other. There is no reason why it can't be as great as when you first got together.

Jh on 10-18-2007 at 08:13 PM said:
I really think that is so beautiful wuv. But you have to admit, that really isn't always the best decision. I guess there are people that rush into it just to be married (that's why I think a woman pressuring a man is the worst and stupidest decision evah) and then there are people who just "know".

I was with a dude for 3 years, he was in the military during the time. I went out there a couple of summers for a month and the more I was around him the more I realized he did all the little things that irritate me, things that I couldn't notice in letters and phone calls.

My husband now, well we just went at it for a couple of months and found out I was pregnant and then decided that we were cool enough with each other and we should be able to make it work. Married 6.5 years with 5 kids. And couldn't be happier.

So I guess it varies:huh: No set standard. Marriage goes to shit when people stop respecting each other. There is no reason why it can't be as great as when you first got together.

yeah we just "knew" and I wouldn't suggest it's the best idea unless you feel really strongly about it. We still have a ball together :)

Celtsox34x on 10-18-2007 at 03:17 PM said:
more than half of all married couples will devorce.
This statistic is a bit misleading, because many people get married/divorced multiple times.

Take 8 married couples. Say 3 marriages break up and the partners marry again. Those three marriages break up and the partners marry again. And repeat once more.

Total marriages: 17. Total divorces 9.

Yet 5 of the original 8 marriages are stable.

That's what marriage is like in the real world. The majority of married couples don't get divorced. But there are a bunch of people who get married over and over again, just to keep statisticians employed.

tmack on 10-18-2007 at 08:37 PM said:
That's too bad. :( What happened to the other one?

we don't talk about that :(

patsload on 10-18-2007 at 07:41 PM said:
we don't talk about that :(

:D

My wife and I were much like you and yours...knew right away. We were just too young at the time to really rush it as she was 17 and I was 19. We were married a year later and had our first a year after that. Three kids now. Couldn't imagine my life different.

I guess I'd fall into that "just knew" category. Married the guy 3 months after meeting him. 15 years later, no regrets. I do not think this is a great idea mostly. But I knew this was "him" - why fuel around?

Back