Miami Fires Man Posing as Coach

About time. Philbin is a great guy but he isn't the HC they need.

He's way too normal for such a dysfunctional organization. I feel bad for him.

TE Coach Dan Campbell is the new interim HC.

Wait, this can't be right... BSPN proclaimed them to be the 2015 AFC East champs. Why would they fire their coach?

...Dolphins fans exist at the same level as Cowboy fans...

And the world keeps on spinnin'.

Without googling it, how many coaches has Miami gone through since BB got here in 2000? I'm counting at least five.

And the world keeps on spinnin'.

Without googling it, how many coaches has Miami gone through since BB got here in 2000? I'm counting at least five.

I had to Google it. I forgot about Cameron. This list includes interim coaches as well.:

Dave Wannstedt 2000- 2004
Jim Bates (interim) 2004
Nick Saban 2005-2006
Cam Cameron 2007
Tony Sparano 2008-2011
Todd Bowles (interim) 2011
Joe Philbin 2012-2015
Dan Campbell (interim) 2015

I had to Google it. I forgot about Cameron. This list includes interim coaches as well.:

Dave Wannstedt 2000- 2004
Jim Bates (interim) 2004
Nick Saban 2005-2006
Cam Cameron 2007
Tony Sparano 2008-2011
Todd Bowles (interim) 2011
Joe Philbin 2012-2015
Dan Campbell (interim) 2015

Wannstedt and Sparano both coached for four years?

:blink: ROFL

I've changed my mind. I love Miami.

Lots of teams in the league this year not meeting pre-season expectations.

I wonder who will be next?

I don't think anyone else will be fired mid-season, but here's my short list of coaches whose seats are getting warm:

Andy Reid (Chiefs)
Jim Caldwell (Lions)

Would love to see what happens in Pittsburgh and Baltimore if both those franchises miss the playoffs. But that would require wild-cards from AFC East (Jets?) and AFC West (Chargers?). Long way to go.

I don't think anyone else will be fired mid-season, but here's my short list of coaches whose seats are getting warm:

Andy Reid (Chiefs)
Jim Caldwell (Lions)

Would love to see what happens in Pittsburgh and Baltimore if both those franchises miss the playoffs. But that would require wild-cards from AFC East (Jets?) and AFC West (Chargers?). Long way to go.

Eagles, Bears, San Fran, Saints are all 1-3
Seattle is 1-2 and play the Lions (0-3) tonight without MLynch.

Andy Reid (Chiefs)
Jim Caldwell (Lions)

Huge disappointment here in the Motor City. Predictable offense and dismal defense that makes NO adjustments. I've lived in SE Michigan for 24 years and except for last year, they have never given me a reason to get even remotely excited for my distant 2nd favorite team.

Walter Football gives Miami an A+ for firing Philbin

Oct. 5 Updates

dolphinsb_logo.gif
Dolphins fire HC Joe Philbin: A+ Grade
I recently said that Joe Philbin reminded me of a farmer whose crops were burning down, yet just stared at them because he didn't know what to do about it. Well, the crops are officially all gone. Philbin has been fired following a 24-28 record in three-plus seasons.

This was long overdue. Philbin was constantly overwhelmed, with Bill Belichick and Rex Ryan coaching circles around him in almost all of their matchups. But it wasn't just his inability to prepare his team or make in-game adjustments; he had zero institutional control over his team. Philbin didn't even know that Bully-gate was happening two years ago, and Ndamukong Suh was calling his own plays earlier this season. The nail in the coffin was the London contest versus the Jets that saw the Dolphins put forth zero effort to save their coach's job.

The Dolphins didn't have a strong alternative for Philbin for the rest of the year from either of the coordinator positions, so tight ends coach Dan Campbell will take over as the interim head coach. He can't possibly be worse than Philbin, so perhaps Miami will be able to salvage its once-promising season. If not, the team can just hire a better coach next spring, unless, of course, incompetent owner Stephen Ross once again blocks the hire by sending that particular person to Michigan as well.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

Eagles, Bears, San Fran, Saints are all 1-3
Seattle is 1-2 and play the Lions (0-3) tonight without MLynch.
I didn't put any first year coaches on my list, so I think Fox and Tomsula are OK (but we've seen 1-year coaches fired before).

I also think Pete is safe in Seattle, as is Payton in NO.

Not too sure about Kelly, though. I pondered putting him on the list.

Walter Football gives Miami an A+ for firing Philbin

Oct. 5 Updates

dolphinsb_logo.gif
Dolphins fire HC Joe Philbin: A+ Grade
I recently said that Joe Philbin reminded me of a farmer whose crops were burning down, yet just stared at them because he didn't know what to do about it. Well, the crops are officially all gone. Philbin has been fired following a 24-28 record in three-plus seasons.

This was long overdue. Philbin was constantly overwhelmed, with Bill Belichick and Rex Ryan coaching circles around him in almost all of their matchups. But it wasn't just his inability to prepare his team or make in-game adjustments; he had zero institutional control over his team. Philbin didn't even know that Bully-gate was happening two years ago, and Ndamukong Suh was calling his own plays earlier this season. The nail in the coffin was the London contest versus the Jets that saw the Dolphins put forth zero effort to save their coach's job.

The Dolphins didn't have a strong alternative for Philbin for the rest of the year from either of the coordinator positions, so tight ends coach Dan Campbell will take over as the interim head coach. He can't possibly be worse than Philbin, so perhaps Miami will be able to salvage its once-promising season. If not, the team can just hire a better coach next spring, unless, of course, incompetent owner Stephen Ross once again blocks the hire by sending that particular person to Michigan as well.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

When exactly was their season promising?

Andy Reid (Chiefs)
Jim Caldwell (Lions)

After the Lions go to 0 - 4 tonight, Caldwell definitely goes on the hot seat. I think he'll last a few more weeks, though. If they lose to the Bears in week 6, I'd guess they'll pull the trigger then.

Back