R.I.P. Walter Cronkite

really sad. What makes it sadder is that it will not get half of the coverage that Michael Jackson got...Cronkite did more for the news service than any two people in his generation. "The most trusted man in America."

really sad. What makes it sadder is that it will not get half of the coverage that Michael Jackson got...Cronkite did more for the news service than any two people in his generation. "The most trusted man in America."

What, in your opinion, separated him from his peers? Huntley and Brinkley, Howard K. Smith, Harry Reasoner - they were all pretty much the same, as I recall.

The man had a great life. Saw the entire World & reported the things he saw & he had seen it all.
Lived a nice long life. No real reason to be sad but more of a time to celebrate a great mans great life.

RIP Walter.

"And that's the way it is".

The man had a great life. Saw the entire World & reported the things he saw & he had seen it all.
Lived a nice long life. No real reason to be sad but more of a time to celebrate a great mans great life.

RIP Walter.

"And that's the way it is".

Agree! Walter was the "most trusted man in America" for a reason. He reported the news, he did so without bias or putting his own spin on it, and he did it with feeling. I will always remember his tearing up at reporting JFKs assassination, among many other memorable moments in history. If only we had a Walter as an active anchor today! :( RIP, and thank you!

Sad. But I do think I had him in the pool...

Too bad that he didn't stick with reporting on NASA. He tried to Dan Rather a whole generation of US troops when he put his spin on the situation in Vietnam (as did most of media). I hope that God is more forgiving than many veterans will be. RIP, just wish that you had kept the integrity you demonstrated as a war correspondent in WW II and earlier in your career with CBS.

I've gone from the most trusted man in America to one of the most debated.
RIP Walter

Too bad that he didn't stick with reporting on NASA. He tried to Dan Rather a whole generation of US troops when he put his spin on the situation in Vietnam (as did most of media). I hope that God is more forgiving than many veterans will be. RIP, just wish that you had kept the integrity you demonstrated as a war correspondent in WW II and earlier in your career with CBS.

Agreed! He helped turn a military victory into a political defeat. He will never be forgiven by many Vietnam Vets for that. That lifted the enemy morale and cost more US casualties.

The "most trusted man" couldn't be trusted to report the facts.

Back in a simpler time, he was great. My favorite. He was the best, and nobody is even close. And he was a reporter in WWII-he saw death and destruction. And he reported honestly about it.

I don't even watch the 3 "big" network's news anymore. It's just a different time in our society...there are so many choices to get news. A Walter Cronkite would not get the "viewership" today.

A day to remember, reflect, and rejoice. To many Americans, he WAS the news. It's sad that he couldn't make it past the 20th of July, but I'm sure he's got an exclusive up in heaven with God right now.....

RIP.

I don't think it's entirely fair to blame the present media we have today on him.

Yes, the media today frames the news, and thus the debate, far more than simply reporting it, but that didn't start with him.

He may have been the watershed in TV news reporting, but the other types of media have had their own examples of individuals framing the news.

Radio had Walter Winchell, newspapers had "Yellow Journalism" (OT: it is certainly ironic that the most prestigious award in newspaper journalism is named after one of the most blatant practitioners of Yellow Journalism).

Cronkite was simply the man at the desk when TV news came to dominate the media, and it really isn't his fault that it evolved into what we have today.

He lived a very full life. What I think makes it saddest is that he represents an era in tv news reporting that is long gone - and it was much better than what we have now.

There's truly very few people that are seen by everyone across the board as the epitome of what someone in their profession should be. Cronkite didn't just read the news, he wrote the copy & supervised the reporters. CBS made him retire at 65, but from what I saw of him in interviews, he could have kept going into his 80s and still been the best.

....and that's the way it is.

RIP

Agreed! He helped turn a military victory into a political defeat. He will never be forgiven by many Vietnam Vets for that. That lifted the enemy morale and cost more US casualties.

The "most trusted man" couldn't be trusted to report the facts.

That's seriously a case of blaming the messenger. When was Vietnam ever close to being a victory?

Cronkite did one commentary segment (labeled as such) and then continued to report the facts accurately and without bias. The country was fed a long line of BS and its most prominent reporter was moved to call that out. There really isn't much historical debate over whether the more accurate depiction of reality came from the Johnson administration's spin or Cronkite's commentary.

This isn't sad to me. I won't say why as this is not the political forum.

WOW..mature post there. A man died but it isn't sad that a life has passed. He wasn't terrorist or bad person yet because one of your history versions isn't happy with something he did you don't care.

Just don't post anything for goodness sakes! Talk about passive aggressive jeezus.:banghead:

Back