Radio Wars...Or, WEEI Is Gasping For Breath

Listening to WEEI-nie is on par with watching Jerry Springer, but not nearly as entertaining, IMO.

NFL Radio on Sirius/XM is the way to go.

They updated the article with the ratings for mid day and afternoon drive (plus I didn't notice the Pete Sheppard mention before so maybe that was added at the end:

"During midday (10 a.m.-2 p.m.), The Sports Hub's Gresh and Zo program was third (7.8), trailing WZLX and WBOS programming. WEEI's Mut and Merloni program was seventh (4.2.)

In afternoon drive (2 p.m.-6 p.m.), Felger and Massarotti of the Sports Hub was tops with a 12.3, beating runner-up WZLX's programming (7.0) by a significant margin. WEEI's Salk and Holley Show was fifth (5.4).

In the evenings (7-p.m-midnight), The Sports Hub, featuring the Baseball Reporters, the Adam Jones Show and Bruins game broadcasts, was first with a 13.4 share, including a massive 16.2 in June. WEEI's nighttime programming, including the Planet Mikey Show and Red Sox and Celtics broadcasts, was second (9.7, including a 10.2 in June).

The Sports Hub also topped the fall and winter ratings periods.

Last spring, when the Celtics made a deep postseason run before falling to the Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals, WEEI, which carries their games, was second. The Sports Hub was fourth then.

WEEI (850-AM), which is now ESPN Radio, was tied for 23d with a 0.7 share. WUFC (1510-AM), which carries NBC Sports Radio programming and Pete Sheppard's afternoon program among other shows, was not listed on the Arbitron ratings overview sheets."

Boston Radio Watch®‏ @bostonradio
Both sports stations dropped in December but WEEI’s drop is more significant because it’s typically not that low this time of year - 736k to 444k. The Hub went from 808k listeners to 691k.

45% drop for eei thanks to lousy programming with Mut, Tomase, Reimer, Dickinson et al. Weei is a few months from playing country music. I rarely listen to either channel. Constant negativity even though local sports teams are crazy successful makes no sense at all. I loathe Adam Jones on the Hub. Programmers for both stations better wise up real soon.

Both stations are awful. I'll never listen to EEI as long as KKKallahan is employed there. The other station isn't any better. The Douche and Chihuahua have been well documented. There isn't a negative angle they can't find. Fred Toucher is an abomination, has little sports knowledge, hates Boston sports and is not the least bit funny, which is made worse because he thinks he is.

I do like Rich who can somewhat negate Toucher and at least Zo and Bertrand bring some knowledge and can be positive, but that's damning with faint praise.

I miss good sports radio.

Both stations are awful. I'll never listen to EEI as long as KKKallahan is employed there.

This. :coffee:

The fact that T&R out-rates WEEI's morning product, and it's not even really a sports show, demonstrates that this is pretty common.

You guys ever get Artrell Hawkins and Andy furman?

No, but Artrell Hawkins played for the Pats. He came in from Cincy and had one pretty good year at Safety. I recall that he had a real deep voice and sounded a little like Barry White.

Can I assume they are Indy Sports talk guys?

I'll also comment that the ONLY time I listen to sports talk radio is pre or postgame stuff when I'm driving to and from Gillette and that helps remind me why I stopped listening to sports talk.

I get that ratings are driven by controversy, but I just don't find listening to people that are trying to bait me and piss me off to be entertaining, so I don't. There just wasn't enough quality info to make it worthwhile.

I check out 98.5 along with a few sports stations I now get on SiriusXM. I know Felger & Mazz is a predictable shtick but they can be funny. Big Jim Murray may be the best one on that show.

I’ve pretty much given up a long time ago on WEEI as well as 98.5.

I always liked Holley and when he left my last reason to listen left with him.

The knuckleheads on 98.5 are as insufferable as on EEI. There’s just no intelligent life out there.

It’s a captive market.

NE fans are REALLY into their sports. They don’t necessarily care for the programming, but they want to stay up to date with the information.

That’s a precarious position to leave oneself in. Just like EEI was the top dog when 98.5 blossomed, you suffer a mass exodus.

Both better hope an easy alternative doesn’t present itself. Bedard, part or full owner of BSJ, is a perfect example of someone who could branch into strong informative talk without the schtick/antics/shouting. He’d crush it.

I'd rather have shitty sports talk than no sports talk.:sulk:
truth.

I have it on as background noise at my desk. I feel less alone in my office listening to the bickering. In a way it reminds me of being a kid with my brothers and cousins fighting over the local 4.

I'd rather have shitty sports talk than no sports talk.:sulk:

When the anti-patriots/ screaming snowflakes are on I am totally gone. There combo of sports negativity and modern day ultra knee-jerk liberalism is 100% intolerable IMO. And with my deafness, barely augmented with hearing aids, and whoever is on sreaming over the top of each other I generally can't hear a word. Radio so bad that Marconi is rolling over in his grave. :facepalm:

Cheers

When the anti-patriots/ screaming snowflakes are on I am totally gone. There combo of sports negativity and modern day ultra knee-jerk liberalism is 100% intolerable IMO. And with my deafness, barely augmented with hearing aids, and whoever is on sreaming over the top of each other I generally can't hear a word. Radio so bad that Marconi is rolling over in his grave. :facepalm:

Cheers

Ultra knee-jerk liberalism????
What shows are you listening to? The only show that talks politics is the shitbag KKKallahan and he's propaganda for the extreme right wingers.

What shows are you listening to? The only show that talks politics is the shitbag KKKallahan and he's propaganda for the extreme right wingers.

Whenever Tomassi, Trenny and the new guy on the morning show are on among others. I'ts awful.

Whenever Tomassi, Trenny and the new guy on the morning show are on among others. I'ts awful.

Since I don't listen to WEEI, I wouldn't know. But at best, they would balance KKKallahan's bullshit. And that's an indictment on the station for allowing politics to creep into a sports show. But that's always been my major beef with WEEI.

There's no political talk on 98.5, just bad radio.

OK. expected and respect blowback. Since the day the morning show brcame a "lets not spend more than 5 minutes on sports" show, I have resented every minute of politics. I don't hate everything Kallahan believes but I have 0 use for it,.

I am more offended however at Reimer and Tomase, simply because I am a conservative as you know and so their politics pain me. Plus TOMASE the ultimate Pats enemy.

Cheers :toast:

OK. expected and respect blowback. Since the day the morning show brcame a "lets not spend more than 5 minutes on sports" show, I have resented every minute of politics. I don't hate everything Kallahan believes but I have 0 use for it,.

I am more offended however at Reimer and Tomase, simply because I am a conservative as you know and so their politics pain me. Plus TOMASE the ultimate Pats enemy.

Cheers :toast:

And Tomase with his his snarky, elitist voice drives me nutz. A little self-deprecation would go a long at making him tolerable.

Back