Random Jets Stuff Thread

How Patriots’ ‘eye-opening’ blueprint has shut down Brandon Marshall

http://nypost.com/2015/11/19/how-pa...print-has-shut-down-brandon-marshall/?ref=yfp

When we last left the Jets, their quarterback was throwing an all-or-nothing fourth-down pass from the 4-yard line to a backup blocking tight end in the waning seconds of a massive swing game against the Bills.

You know how that worked out. It didn’t. The Jets lost, failing to get to 6-3 and seize control of the AFC wild-card playoff race, instead dropping to 5-4 with their third loss in the past four games.

Why, you ask, was Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing the most important pass of the game to Kellen Davis, who’d been targeted with one pass all season to that point, and not Brandon Marshall, their star receiver?

Because the Bills were doing everything they could to take Marshall out of the play — out of the game — and they did a damned good job of it with constant double-coverage, holding him to just three catches for 23 yards and a touchdown on 10 targets.

Was Marshall covered on that fateful final offensive play? Yes, but by only one player — Bills safety Bacarri Rambo. Still, the ball was going to Davis the whole time because Ryan’s Buffalo defense was inside the heads of the Jets coaching staff on that play, making them overthink the situation, assuming Marshall was going to be doubled.

This is something the Jets must counterattack as they embark on their final seven regular-season games, beginning Sunday in Houston, if they’re going to make the playoffs.

The numbers do not lie:

• In the Jets’ first five games, Marshall caught 37 passes for 511 yards and four touchdowns on 53 targets, with four games of 100-plus receiving yards. The Jets were 4-1 in those games.
  • In the four games since, he has 20 catches for 242 yards and two TDs on 43 targets, with a single 100-yard game. The Jets are 1-3 in that span.
The line of demarcation for the way opposing defenses have clamped down on Marshall?

“The Patriots game,’’ Marshall told The Post Thursday, referring to the 30-23 loss in New England on Oct. 25. “That’s when it started happening. Before that, teams were doubling me, but they would give us one, two, three shots a game when they weren’t and we were capitalizing on them. In the Patriots game it was more [double-coverage]. Now, teams are saying, ‘Take him out the whole game.’ ’’

Jets No. 2 receiver Eric Decker called the way New England defended Marshall “an eye-opener for some other teams.’’

If the Jets are going to make a legitimate run at a playoff berth, they are going to have to find a way to get Marshall back into the games, making the electrifying plays he made in the first five weeks.

“A high percentage of the time they’re doubling him and we’re trying to find ways to keep him involved,’’ Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said.
“So it’s a chess match of how they play and how we play. Hopefully, we’ll get him the opportunities to get him some more balls. We need him to be involved, to be a successful offense.

“They’re taking him away right now and we don’t have enough other people involved in the passing game to take that away from [the defenses] right now.’’

That’s been an issue. Decker, who has 42 catches and leads the team with seven TDs, has been a big-time beneficiary of the attention Marshall has drawn. But after that, there is a significant fall-off, with no quality No. 3 receiver having emerged.

“I’m at the point in my career where I want to win; I don’t care about the stats,’’ Marshall said. “Don’t force it to me. If Decker is one-on-one, that’s where I expect the ball to go.’’

It’s just that Decker is not the game-changer that Marshall is.

“Obviously, I’m getting paid the big bucks and you don’t pay anyone big bucks to not be a part of it,’’ Marshall said. “Absolutely, I get frustrated. But I get frustrated at the defensive coordinators. I’m like, ‘Let your guy across from me make his money. You’re going to put two guys on me the whole game?’ ’’

Well, yes they are. And that’s not going to change. So, it’s now the Jets move in this chess match. And let’s hope it’s a better move than the one they made at the end of the Buffalo game.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/19/how-pa...print-has-shut-down-brandon-marshall/?ref=yfp

When we last left the Jets, their quarterback was throwing an all-or-nothing fourth-down pass from the 4-yard line to a backup blocking tight end in the waning seconds of a massive swing game against the Bills.

You know how that worked out. It didn’t. The Jets lost, failing to get to 6-3 and seize control of the AFC wild-card playoff race, instead dropping to 5-4 with their third loss in the past four games.

Why, you ask, was Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing the most important pass of the game to Kellen Davis, who’d been targeted with one pass all season to that point, and not Brandon Marshall, their star receiver?

Because the Bills were doing everything they could to take Marshall out of the play — out of the game — and they did a damned good job of it with constant double-coverage, holding him to just three catches for 23 yards and a touchdown on 10 targets.

Was Marshall covered on that fateful final offensive play? Yes, but by only one player — Bills safety Bacarri Rambo. Still, the ball was going to Davis the whole time because Ryan’s Buffalo defense was inside the heads of the Jets coaching staff on that play, making them overthink the situation, assuming Marshall was going to be doubled.

This is something the Jets must counterattack as they embark on their final seven regular-season games, beginning Sunday in Houston, if they’re going to make the playoffs.

The numbers do not lie:
  • In the Jets’ first five games, Marshall caught 37 passes for 511 yards and four touchdowns on 53 targets, with four games of 100-plus receiving yards. The Jets were 4-1 in those games.
  • In the four games since, he has 20 catches for 242 yards and two TDs on 43 targets, with a single 100-yard game. The Jets are 1-3 in that span.
The line of demarcation for the way opposing defenses have clamped down on Marshall?

“The Patriots game,’’ Marshall told The Post Thursday, referring to the 30-23 loss in New England on Oct. 25. “That’s when it started happening. Before that, teams were doubling me, but they would give us one, two, three shots a game when they weren’t and we were capitalizing on them. In the Patriots game it was more [double-coverage]. Now, teams are saying, ‘Take him out the whole game.’ ’’

Jets No. 2 receiver Eric Decker called the way New England defended Marshall “an eye-opener for some other teams.’’

If the Jets are going to make a legitimate run at a playoff berth, they are going to have to find a way to get Marshall back into the games, making the electrifying plays he made in the first five weeks.

“A high percentage of the time they’re doubling him and we’re trying to find ways to keep him involved,’’ Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said.
“So it’s a chess match of how they play and how we play. Hopefully, we’ll get him the opportunities to get him some more balls. We need him to be involved, to be a successful offense.

“They’re taking him away right now and we don’t have enough other people involved in the passing game to take that away from [the defenses] right now.’’

That’s been an issue. Decker, who has 42 catches and leads the team with seven TDs, has been a big-time beneficiary of the attention Marshall has drawn. But after that, there is a significant fall-off, with no quality No. 3 receiver having emerged.

“I’m at the point in my career where I want to win; I don’t care about the stats,’’ Marshall said. “Don’t force it to me. If Decker is one-on-one, that’s where I expect the ball to go.’’

It’s just that Decker is not the game-changer that Marshall is.

“Obviously, I’m getting paid the big bucks and you don’t pay anyone big bucks to not be a part of it,’’ Marshall said. “Absolutely, I get frustrated. But I get frustrated at the defensive coordinators. I’m like, ‘Let your guy across from me make his money. You’re going to put two guys on me the whole game?’ ’’

Well, yes they are. And that’s not going to change. So, it’s now the Jets move in this chess match. And let’s hope it’s a better move than the one they made at the end of the Buffalo game.
Imagine that? Double the team's best receiver and force their journey man QB to beat you with the other guys. I mean are the other coaches absolute dolts or does Bill just have to do it first for them to believe?

Per Schefter about a minute ago: Jets waived former former first-round pick OLB Quinton Coples, whom they once drafted ahead of Chandler Jones.

Per Schefter about a minute ago: Jets waived former former first-round pick OLB Quinton Coples, whom they once drafted ahead of Chandler Jones.

Isn't that the dude who always looked like it was 420 somewhere? ROFL

And I agree with the article UT posted, the Pats don't break teams...they give other teams an idea for the gameplan to break them...and if those teams can, they do.

Isn't that the dude who always looked like it was 420 somewhere? ROFL

And I agree with the article UT posted, the Pats don't break teams...they give other teams an idea for the gameplan to break them...and if those teams can, they do.

I dunno. I'm willing to believe that in a way, the Pats DO break teams.

Situation: Next week is the Pats.
Approach: Hard work. Bright failproof game plan to stop Gronk Edelmn and
crush TFB.
Mental component: Remember, this is our super bowl. Those Pats are cheaters. Coach is proud of us, Coach BELIEVES in us. We can do this. We're so much better this year. On three; Victory - 123 VICTORY!!!!
Result: Pats by 17.
Post game mental evaluation: Farkety fark fark.

I believe the Pats take an emo toll on everyone they play. Plus they hand out the blueprint.

Cheers, BostonTim

Cheers, BostonTim

Back in the playoff hunt!......... Kinda

Hey, that's a big damn deal considering where you guys were last year.

If Cincy beats Denver, you'll probably get them in the Wildcard round. Can't wait to see that 6-3 rockfight.

Back