Reiss on Brady

There's no question that the loss of the one person he reached out to after every game and spent weeks in the offseason correcting flaws in his mechanics has affected him. The truth of the matter is that he's often struggled with underthrows/overthrows, but having a Welker or the likes of even a Gaffney or Branch helped put consistent numbers on the board. These young guys will catch up. But make no mistake, Wendell is a big part of the problem here. Decline? No. The people around him? A huge part of his problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forum Runner

The rooks are an issue.

The TEs are a train wreck until recently.

The under performance of the Oline is a legit concern. Wendell in particular.

But when all of the above ARE doing their job and multiple receivers are WIDE open and Brady can't see them or come even close to hitting them then sorry Lis, that's on him and him alone.

I don't know where you're seeing a decline in Brady. His offensive line blows. His receivers are young and learning. He's had no tight end. He has had no 3rd-down back for screens. Get a grip.

I think you're overstating things quite a bit. He's clearly on the decline, and his worst season in some time. That said, he's had flashes of his old ability, so I'm confident that once he accepts that it's not just everyone else's fault, and works within the offense rather than forcing everyone else to conform to him, and STILL play like crap; then they'll be on to something.

I think he can.

But this "it's everyone else's fault" stuff needs to stop.

I can't believe this thread is into its second page and no Middy? coffee

I think it is huge missing his Guru, more than we can know. The WR's and TE's don't matter as much as his comfort within himself

A wise observation, imo, and something I've thought since the 2nd game. He's playing uncomfortable and confused as if he doesn't have much confidence that those around him will do their jobs. He's completely thrown off his normal rhythm and that has carried over into his bad throws to wide open receivers. Once everyone steps up a notch he'll gain confidence and feel more comfortable.

A wise observation, imo, and something I've thought since the 2nd game. He's playing uncomfortable and confused as if he doesn't have much confidence that those around him will do their jobs. He's completely thrown off his normal rhythm and that has carried over into his bad throws to wide open receivers. Once everyone steps up a notch he'll gain confidence and feel more comfortable.

Martinez from what I thought worked mechanics. Footwork. Arm slot. Drops. Weight transfer.

I don't think his mentor corrected his ability to see the open guy.

I've said some of this previously...

To me, Brady's strength has never been the long ball. This is not to say that he's never been "good", just not as elite as he has been with short-to-intermediate quick throws and timing throws, and most of the more aggressive passing attack since 2007 has been based on him making a quick read at the snap and getting the ball out lightning fast to a short/intermediate, "just open" target before the defense has a chance to recover. As AWTE has pointed out in the past, many QB's read progressions start with "long" and drop back to intermediate and then short. Brady's reads were almost always "short-to-long".

Now Brady did appear to be "elite" with the long ball in 2007, but a lot of that was due to Moss' exceptional ability to "see" the ball in the air (much like Ted Williams' exceptional ability to "see" the pitch) and make subtle adjustments in speed and stride to get to where the ball was actually going - spot-on accurate or not. Before his injury, Gronk actually showed a bit of that ability, but it wasn't there in the Jets game at all. And, neither KT nor Dobson are consistently close to grasping those adjustments yet.

Second point is that I think that Brady has been throwing deep in a higher percentage of his attempts than in the past, though I have no stats to back that up. While it's true that a significant portion of the sacks/hits he's taken this season have been due to OL breakdowns, more of them than in the past, I feel, have been due to Brady hanging on to the ball a bit longer, looking for that deep throw. Then, when he tries to get the ball to a different read - short or intermediate - the D has had time to recover. IOW, on an increased number of pass plays, he's reading long-to-short now.

And part of the problem with THAT is that I believe that Brady's accuracy has always suffered a bit when he's taken more time than less. I believe he may have a tendency to overthink his throws at times when he holds the ball for awhile, and I also think that has an impact on his mechanics (and a consequent effect on his accuracy). When he's in snap-read-throw mode, his mechanics are more a matter of muscle memory. Back in 2010, he appeared to be having difficulty finding Brandon Tate on deep throws (plays that took awhile to develop), but, on one play I remember, Brady was forced from the pocket as protection broke down. He scrambled first to his right, then cut back left. Tate, who'd initially been running a deep post was smart enough to come back a bit and mirror his QB toward the sideline. Brady, running as fast as he ever could while looking elsewhere, suddenly saw Tate and instantly threw a 30-yd bullet right into his hands. No overthinking about that throw - he just did it.

So, perhaps a subtle-but significant change to the offensive scheme, in combination with a whole bunch of new targets who he's not sure of yet, have aggravated that overthinking tendency with consequences to his mechanics and accuracy. One age-related factor may be that he's not quite as adaptable to new circumstances as he was when younger.

The above isn't intended to be a whole-cloth alternative explanation for Brady's woes, or any kind of excuse, just an exploration from a slightly different perspective. In any case, to me it seems to beat the f**k out of simply saying, "He's getting old and is in obvious decline."

I can't believe this thread is into its second page and no Middy? coffee

Midgar is taking a sabbatical from posting, which was probably a good idea. I think it's good for everyone to do from time to time. Lord knows, I have :)

Midgar is taking a sabbatical from posting, which was probably a good idea. I think it's good for everyone to do from time to time. Lord knows, I have :)

I feel sorry for him this year. We all hate it when Brady plays bad, him as much as anyone. No one hates it as much as he when Manning plays good. Midgar must be a in perpetual state of depression right now. Maybe the worm will turn for him.

I've said some of this previously...

To me, Brady's strength has never been the long ball. This is not to say that he's never been "good", just not as elite as he has been with short-to-intermediate quick throws and timing throws, and most of the more aggressive passing attack since 2007 has been based on him making a quick read at the snap and getting the ball out lightning fast to a short/intermediate, "just open" target before the defense has a chance to recover. As AWTE has pointed out in the past, many QB's read progressions start with "long" and drop back to intermediate and then short. Brady's reads were almost always "short-to-long".

Now Brady did appear to be "elite" with the long ball in 2007, but a lot of that was due to Moss' exceptional ability to "see" the ball in the air (much like Ted Williams' exceptional ability to "see" the pitch) and make subtle adjustments in speed and stride to get to where the ball was actually going - spot-on accurate or not. Before his injury, Gronk actually showed a bit of that ability, but it wasn't there in the Jets game at all. And, neither KT nor Dobson are consistently close to grasping those adjustments yet.

Second point is that I think that Brady has been throwing deep in a higher percentage of his attempts than in the past, though I have no stats to back that up. While it's true that a significant portion of the sacks/hits he's taken this season have been due to OL breakdowns, more of them than in the past, I feel, have been due to Brady hanging on to the ball a bit longer, looking for that deep throw. Then, when he tries to get the ball to a different read - short or intermediate - the D has had time to recover. IOW, on an increased number of pass plays, he's reading long-to-short now.

And part of the problem with THAT is that I believe that Brady's accuracy has always suffered a bit when he's taken more time than less. I believe he may have a tendency to overthink his throws at times when he holds the ball for awhile, and I also think that has an impact on his mechanics (and a consequent effect on his accuracy). When he's in snap-read-throw mode, his mechanics are more a matter of muscle memory. Back in 2010, he appeared to be having difficulty finding Brandon Tate on deep throws (plays that took awhile to develop), but, on one play I remember, Brady was forced from the pocket as protection broke down. He scrambled first to his right, then cut back left. Tate, who'd initially been running a deep post was smart enough to come back a bit and mirror his QB toward the sideline. Brady, running as fast as he ever could while looking elsewhere, suddenly saw Tate and instantly threw a 30-yd bullet right into his hands. No overthinking about that throw - he just did it.

So, perhaps a subtle-but significant change to the offensive scheme, in combination with a whole bunch of new targets who he's not sure of yet, have aggravated that overthinking tendency with consequences to his mechanics and accuracy. One age-related factor may be that he's not quite as adaptable to new circumstances as he was when younger.

The above isn't intended to be a whole-cloth alternative explanation for Brady's woes, or any kind of excuse, just an exploration from a slightly different perspective. In any case, to me it seems to beat the f**k out of simply saying, "He's getting old and is in obvious decline."

IIRC, that was the Chicago game, in the snow.

IIRC, that was the Chicago game, in the snow.

Maybe. I sorta remember it happening on a snow-free field, though, and was thinking it was at Gillette in wk-3 vs. the Bills. Looking back, Tate had a great first four games, there. Posted 11 receptions for 135 yds as the #4 WR plus those great KRs, including the two TDs. I still can't figure out his sudden decline.

I feel as though Mike Reiss was using a straw man argument in his attempt to paint fans as ignorant boobs who are ruled only by emotion. He basically stated that the same fans who were asserting that Brady is in decline after Sunday's game were saying Brady was in his prime after the Saints game.

How would he know that? Does he keep track of every fan? I have thought all season that Brady has been showing clear signs of decline. I was happy to win the Saints game, but I did not in anyway think the overall performance by Brady was anything like a prime Brady. I also didn't hear too many fans saying that either. Who I DID hear saying things like that were members of the media.

So Reiss ascribes an overreaction to the Saints game's final drive by the media to fans, in order to paint fans as inconsistent emotional idiots, while implying that the media--including him--always keeps an even, logical approach. He also asserted that the 36-year-old Brady of 2013 is the same old Brady of the past, which is clearly false.

If the shoe fits, wear it...

Maybe. I sorta remember it happening on a snow-free field, though, and was thinking it was at Gillette in wk-3 vs. the Bills. Looking back, Tate had a great first four games, there. Posted 11 receptions for 135 yds as the #4 WR plus those great KRs, including the two TDs. I still can't figure out his sudden decline.

it was in Gillette and I think you have the correct game - Bills

but, on one play I remember, Brady was forced from the pocket as protection broke down. He scrambled first to his right, then cut back left. Tate, who'd initially been running a deep post was smart enough to come back a bit and mirror his QB toward the sideline. Brady, running as fast as he ever could while looking elsewhere, suddenly saw Tate and instantly threw a 30-yd bullet right into his hands. No overthinking about that throw - he just did it.

It was in the Third Quarter against the Vikings. Tate ran a back-side hitch on a play action pass the other way, Brady ran out of a sack, pump faked the Hitch, spun and found Tate who had released deep off the scramble.

and here it is!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hrL1ES-FfjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It was in the Third Quarter against the Vikings. Tate ran a back-side hitch on a play action pass the other way, Brady ran out of a sack, pump faked the Hitch, spun and found Tate who had released deep off the scramble.

and here it is!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hrL1ES-FfjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hmm. The vid crashes before brady gets out from in under the center. :shrug:

Cheers

it was in Gillette and I think you have the correct game - Bills
oops

and here it is!

great memory

Brady is clearly slowing and showing his age. The only human who somehow doesn't age is David Ortiz. Maybe they should hang out

OK this Brady is losing it is a bunch of Bullcocky. #1 I haven't seen so many dam dropped passes by the Pats ever..If that doesn't shake a QB's confidence nothing will..
Its quite obvious the changes to the offense was too much for Brady. To think he could keep the same numbers as having a Woodhead, Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, Ridley not getting punished,no Vereen, and combine that all with poor offensive line play can explain a lot about what happen to Brady... Ive never really thought Brady was all that great a deep ball passer, but IMO he had or has the best short and intermediate passing game ever still. I have not one shred of doubt that we will see Tom Brady regain his confidence as long as we don't keep losing guys on the offensive line...TB is not a Super Human QB, and never was,but he is the Best ever, and he's far from done...

Back