Reports that Stork and Nate Washington to be cut

Info already in a mega-thread, but I don't care. :harumph:

I heard a report that Brady got cut, too.

:coffee:

Michael Giardi ‏<s>@</s>MikeGiardi <small class="time"> </small> Stork was a Dave DeGuglielmo guy.
Logan Mankins was great to some of us <s>@</s>MutWEEI. And Stork is wildly inconsistent. WILDLY
Belichick had nice things to say about Karras when I asked Monday.

CqoQleQW8AQoE-3.jpg

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet A stunner: Former starting center Bryan Stork is being released by the <s>#</s>Patriots today, I'm told. Crazy.
Michael Giardi added,
Not stunning. Scarnecchia opened the competition all the way back in the spring.

Stork was too big of an injury risk. It didn't help he returned from a concussion and decided to headbutt a bears linemen during a fight.

I do not think Bill cares if he spoke to the media or not.

Looks like Dobson might clitch another roster spot. No other WRS has done anything to take it away the final spot from him .

From Pat's Pulpit.

Patriots QB Tom Brady preferred David Andrews over Bryan Stork at center

By Rich Hill  @PP_Rich_Hill on Aug 24, 2016, 11:30a 3

The center that Brady wanted ended up winning the starting job

ew England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady received snaps from sophomore center David Andrews during camp. Back-up quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo played with Bryan Stork. When Brady and Garoppolo rotated in with the first team, they brought their center along with them.

Now the dynamics of the competition changed once training camp was in full swing, but it seems like Brady was quietly rooting for Andrews to win the starting job the whole time.

Tom Brady's preferred center, David Andrews, has won the job. Bryan Stork was released this morning, per source.
— Jeff Howe (@jeffphowe) August 24, 2016

Howe added that Andrews “basically solidifed the job” when Stork was tossed from joint practices for fighting.

When Brady was asked about playing with Andrews last season, he had nothing but good things to say.

“He's done exceptionally well,” Brady said before the week 9 match-up with Washington. “It's impressive to be a rookie ... When I was a rookie I was the fourth quarterback on the roster. I got to like, eat nachos before the game, and I wasn't dressing or active. I just had to bring my playbook to the meeting. That was about as much as I had to do right that year.

“So for him to come in there and play every snap as an undrafted free agent. He came in and Wendy [Ryan Wendell] was there, Stork was there, he's fighting to make the team, and then gets the opportunity and takes advantage the way he did was very, very impressive. So he's a great kid, a lot of fun to be out there with. So I can't say enough good things about him.”

Howe reports that “Brady had gotten into it with Stork for not knowing the line checks. Andrews is more cerebral, knows plays in & out.” ESPN’s Mike Reiss notes that Andrews has “endeared himself” to offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia. Howe also notes that the coaching staff didn’t like how Stork couldn’t “couldn't harness the attitude on the field.”

Here’s a potential miscommunication on the goal line between Stork and Josh Kline that likely caught the attention of the coaching staff.

All things considered, Andrews held the edge on Stork in almost every evaluation category other than raw size. Andrews won an off-season award for his time in the weight room, so clearly the coaching staff is comfortable with his growth.

Brady wants a player that he can trust and a player that can be consistent. Stork, for all of his potential and contributions to the Super Bowl XLIX run, was not consistent in his availability or in his mental approach to the game.

For those reasons, Brady wanted Andrews to be the team’s starting center in 2016.

Belichick agreed.

I can see these reasons as being legit, but it wasn't just lack of mental preparedness that got him a cardboard suitcase and a bus ticket.

Stork just wasn't able to stay with his man or move anybody despite showing really good power as a rookie and earlier in his career.

I thought the guy was going to be our center for ten years the way he looked, but he hadn't approached that level of play in some time.

Maybe the concussion stuff was for real, but, whatever, I'm not surprised that he is gone after playing poorly late last season and through the first two preseason games.

Andrew showed he wanted it more and appears to have added some muscle, which was his (and still is) his biggest issue.

Before the release became official, NE actually traded Stork to Washington.

Cut > traded to the Redskins (from Stork's perspective)

Depends. If he gets more on his remaining contract than his agent thinks he could get on the open market (barring any offset language, not sure on that in his deal) it might not be bad. Division winning team with a lot of talent on offense. Division is not that great so should be competitive.

Back