Should Manning be benched?

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
He was awful yesterday. Threw two horrendous picks that led to Minny's comeback that almost cost them the game. He throws lollipops on every deep ball and just hopes DT can out jump everyone. He can't throw the out without it getting picked and run back. Every positive plays is a LOS throw or a slant. Maybe the most limited offense in football at this point given the talent they have at the WR position.

On the season, Manning has throw 6 Tds to 5 picks. Right now he is ranked 25 out of 32 QBs. I can't believe Elway and Kube will allow this to continue even with the team winning. Yesterday was his ugliest game going all the way back to last year's post-season game vs the Colts.

I was on the Denver boards and the chatter about Oz coming in is getting very loud.

Why should he be benched when the Peyton Manning Pity Tour is in full swing?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13810920/a-diminished-peyton-manning-stands-patriots-super-bowl

DENVER -- Wearing a sweat-soaked T-shirt and game pants, his thigh and knee pads still firmly in place, Peyton Manning worked a receiving line of well-wishers near his corner locker Sunday night while his boss, John Elway, looked on approvingly. The quarterback of the Denver Broncos offered up handshakes and, better yet, semi-meaningful eye contact before joining this procession of giddy, middle-aged men for a photo.

On some level, yeah, Peyton Manning is still Peyton Manning. He still does and says all the right things after a game even before he takes a shower. He's the same person, the same face and voice of the league. Just not the same football player, and it's probably not even close.
And that's OK. Manning gets it. He's ready to win ugly at 39 and prove to his teammates he's willing to be a drummer or guitarist in the background rather than the omnipotent leader of the band.

"He's shown with the new offense we've installed that he's a really unselfish guy," tight end Owen Daniels told ESPN.com after the Broncos beat the Minnesota Vikings 23-20 to make Manning a 4-0 quarterback for the sixth time in his career and to make him the NFL's second starter to win 100 home games (Brett Favre won 113).
"Peyton's been doing this so long his way," Daniels continued, "and to have to change things up at this point of his career, you've got to give him credit for being super unselfish like that."

But guess what? Even at a time when he's better described as super unselfish rather than just plain super, Manning might be the one and only player in the AFC who can prevent the New England Patriots from making their seventh trip to the big game in the Tom Brady/Bill Belichick era. Take a quick look around the conference. If you believe Andy Dalton is your man for the job, good luck with that.

No, on this day Manning didn't look like someone who could stop the defending champs from winning ring No. 5. His two interceptions nearly cost Denver the game. The first set up Minnesota's touchdown at the end of the first half, and the second set up Minnesota's tying fourth-quarter field goal with 5:11 left.

But Manning responded both times on the next possession. He opened the third quarter with an 80-yard drive finished by his 1-yard scoring pass to Daniels (after two Ronnie Hillman runs failed to punch the ball in), and then he drove the Broncos toward the winning field goal that would've been the winning touchdown had Demaryius Thomas pulled in a very catchable ball.
Manning passed five times on that deciding drive, proof the Broncos know their quarterback has to remain a significant player -- just not their only significant player -- if Manning is to win a second title.

Before that possession, right after Manning threw his second ghastly pick, Broncos coach Gary Kubiak told his offensive assistants the following: "We're going to keep throwing it, because he's the guy that will get us back in position to win the game."
How long will he continue to be that guy? Among the Super Bowl winners of his generation, Manning projects the least amount of confidence in playing multiple seasons beyond this one. Drew Brees has said he will play into his 40s. In a private email to a friend made public, Brady predicted he would go another seven or eight seasons while his frenemy Peyton was down to a measly two.

"Brady and Brees both talk about how long they're going to play, and they may very well do it because they're playing so well now," Peyton's father, Archie, told ESPN.com. "But they haven't had four neck operations like Peyton has. And I hope they don't have to."

Excuse the first father of the NFL for sounding a tad defiant. Archie was the one catching passes for Peyton after those surgeries, the one who saw his own flesh and blood struggle to throw a 10-yard lob.

"It was pretty ugly," Archie said. "It made you wonder if Peyton could ever be an NFL quarterback again, and nobody was sure he could do it. There wasn't anyone to build on. No quarterback or baseball pitcher had gone through what Peyton had. But I've never seen anybody work as hard as he did.

More fluff at link.

And the delusion continues ... at this point Bridgewater was a MUCH better QB than Manning, forget Andy Dalton ...

Why should he be benched when the Peyton Manning Pity Tour is in full swing?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13810920/a-diminished-peyton-manning-stands-patriots-super-bowl

DENVER -- Wearing a sweat-soaked T-shirt and game pants, his thigh and knee pads still firmly in place, Peyton Manning worked a receiving line of well-wishers near his corner locker Sunday night while his boss, John Elway, looked on approvingly. The quarterback of the Denver Broncos offered up handshakes and, better yet, semi-meaningful eye contact before joining this procession of giddy, middle-aged men for a photo.

On some level, yeah, Peyton Manning is still Peyton Manning. He still does and says all the right things after a game even before he takes a shower. He's the same person, the same face and voice of the league. Just not the same football player, and it's probably not even close.
And that's OK. Manning gets it. He's ready to win ugly at 39 and prove to his teammates he's willing to be a drummer or guitarist in the background rather than the omnipotent leader of the band.

"He's shown with the new offense we've installed that he's a really unselfish guy," tight end Owen Daniels told ESPN.com after the Broncos beat the Minnesota Vikings 23-20 to make Manning a 4-0 quarterback for the sixth time in his career and to make him the NFL's second starter to win 100 home games (Brett Favre won 113).
"Peyton's been doing this so long his way," Daniels continued, "and to have to change things up at this point of his career, you've got to give him credit for being super unselfish like that."

But guess what? Even at a time when he's better described as super unselfish rather than just plain super, Manning might be the one and only player in the AFC who can prevent the New England Patriots from making their seventh trip to the big game in the Tom Brady/Bill Belichick era. Take a quick look around the conference. If you believe Andy Dalton is your man for the job, good luck with that.

No, on this day Manning didn't look like someone who could stop the defending champs from winning ring No. 5. His two interceptions nearly cost Denver the game. The first set up Minnesota's touchdown at the end of the first half, and the second set up Minnesota's tying fourth-quarter field goal with 5:11 left.

But Manning responded both times on the next possession. He opened the third quarter with an 80-yard drive finished by his 1-yard scoring pass to Daniels (after two Ronnie Hillman runs failed to punch the ball in), and then he drove the Broncos toward the winning field goal that would've been the winning touchdown had Demaryius Thomas pulled in a very catchable ball.
Manning passed five times on that deciding drive, proof the Broncos know their quarterback has to remain a significant player -- just not their only significant player -- if Manning is to win a second title.

Before that possession, right after Manning threw his second ghastly pick, Broncos coach Gary Kubiak told his offensive assistants the following: "We're going to keep throwing it, because he's the guy that will get us back in position to win the game."
How long will he continue to be that guy? Among the Super Bowl winners of his generation, Manning projects the least amount of confidence in playing multiple seasons beyond this one. Drew Brees has said he will play into his 40s. In a private email to a friend made public, Brady predicted he would go another seven or eight seasons while his frenemy Peyton was down to a measly two.

"Brady and Brees both talk about how long they're going to play, and they may very well do it because they're playing so well now," Peyton's father, Archie, told ESPN.com. "But they haven't had four neck operations like Peyton has. And I hope they don't have to."

Excuse the first father of the NFL for sounding a tad defiant. Archie was the one catching passes for Peyton after those surgeries, the one who saw his own flesh and blood struggle to throw a 10-yard lob.

"It was pretty ugly," Archie said. "It made you wonder if Peyton could ever be an NFL quarterback again, and nobody was sure he could do it. There wasn't anyone to build on. No quarterback or baseball pitcher had gone through what Peyton had. But I've never seen anybody work as hard as he did.

More fluff at link.

Yeah, I saw this, didn't bother reading it. The ball washing is out of control. He's got a whole lot of one-and-done when he could still play. We keep hearing about the might Denver defense- 2 of their "impressive performances" are against an offense ranked 26th overall and one ranked dead last.

Manning will sit at some point this season.

I think so too. After the bye in two weeks he has GB, the Pats, Cincy, Pitt, at Oakland, at SD. I don't think he holds up physically or his play which has been awful ...

I think so too. After the bye in two weeks he has GB, the Pats, Cincy, Pitt, at Oakland, at SD. I don't think he holds up physically or his play which has been awful ...

Denver will get behind in one, or more, of those games and will need to throw the ball down the field in cooler weather. It will be at that point that Elway will make his move and put the kid in, IF they make a comeback with Osweiller against say Cincy, The change will take place and we will see how much of a team player Peyton is.

Remember this

But guess what? Even at a time when he's better described as super unselfish rather than just plain super, Manning might be the one and only player in the AFC who can prevent the New England Patriots from making their seventh trip to the big game in the Tom Brady/Bill Belichick era.

Manning isn't the one player. His defense might be, but not him. He's mush.

And the delusion continues ... at this point Bridgewater was a MUCH better QB than Manning, forget Andy Dalton ...

I thought Bridgewater had a pretty nice game for himself yesterday, especially considering that Denver's pass rush was all over him. He's figuring things out and has his head in the game at all times just as he did at Louisville.

He's on his way to being a good one, but it doesn't appear that Mike Zimmer is going to have a glorious career up in okey-dokey land.

I thought Bridgewater had a pretty nice game for himself yesterday, especially considering that Denver's pass rush was all over him. He's figuring things out and has his head in the game at all times just as he did at Louisville.

He's on his way to being a good one, but it doesn't appear that Mike Zimmer is going to have a glorious career up in okey-dokey land.

I thought Bridgewater had a really nice game but honestly Turner did him no favors. To have him drop back and look to go deep as often as he did was dumb. They also needed to find creative ways to get AP the ball. I was waiting all day for the jet sweep with him or a screen but it never came. A shame as Manning basically gave them the game with his picks and they were not able to take advantage.

I thought Bridgewater had a really nice game but honestly Turner did him no favors. To have him drop back and look to go deep as often as he did was dumb. They also needed to find creative ways to get AP the ball. I was waiting all day for the jet sweep with him or a screen but it never came. A shame as Manning basically gave them the game with his picks and they were not able to take advantage.

It's really pretty pathetic to see other teams trying to throw deep while their QBs get killed. It's not just a lack of good QBs, it's pathetic coaching. Hey, NFL Coaches, scheme to have your QB get rid of ball QUICKLY!

BB/TB watched those games this wkend and they're salivating today.

It's really pretty pathetic to see other teams trying to throw deep while their QBs get killed. It's not just a lack of good QBs, it's pathetic coaching. Hey, NFL Coaches, scheme to have your QB get rid of ball QUICKLY!

BB/TB watched those games this wkend and they're salivating today.

I think the lack of practice time is really effecting the o-line play across the league. I can't remember the last time I've seen this many terrible offensive lines. As a result, the QBs really do have to make quicker decisions than ever before, (or risk getting hurt).

You want delusional? Here is your delusional post from the Bronco forum......

On Probation

Yes. I am actually impressed with Peyton Manning's play.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I thought it was stupid for Elway and Kubiak to spend the off-season fixing something that wasn't broke. For better or worse, the quarterback is always going to receive the bulk of the blame when an offense or team is struggling in addition to all the praise when that offense dominates; it's just how it works. Peyton Manning can't do anything about his physical neck-fused limitations... I can't for the life of me figure out what Elway and Kubiak were thinking other than the possibility that they are trying to muscle PFM into retirement. Otherwise, only two games into the season they are both eating crow--and it does pain me to see our offense (under a young and/or unfamiliar offensive line) have to "find their identity," to use Manning's words, during the regular season when this is something that should have been addressed months ago.

That said, we are 4-0 and our defense is destroying people. Of course Peyton's arm isn't what it used to be but his football intelligence is off the charts. Am I the only one impressed with his clutch game-winning drives, his composure, and game management? I don't think QB statistics accurately reflect Manning's performance this season. Unfortunately, however, stats are the layman "idiot's guide" to talking about football.

Mark my words: our offense WILL continue to improve and if this team stays healthy I just don't see any other AFC team stopping us. Yea, I said it.

The Patriots and their SEE!-WE-DON'T-NEED-TO-CHEAT! numbers don't scare me. That number one seed is going to be decided at Mile High. And if the Broncos can secure it, so is the road to the Super Bowl.

You want delusional? Here is your delusional post from the Bronco forum......

On Probation

Yes. I am actually impressed with Peyton Manning's play.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I thought it was stupid for Elway and Kubiak to spend the off-season fixing something that wasn't broke. For better or worse, the quarterback is always going to receive the bulk of the blame when an offense or team is struggling in addition to all the praise when that offense dominates; it's just how it works. Peyton Manning can't do anything about his physical neck-fused limitations... I can't for the life of me figure out what Elway and Kubiak were thinking other than the possibility that they are trying to muscle PFM into retirement. Otherwise, only two games into the season they are both eating crow--and it does pain me to see our offense (under a young and/or unfamiliar offensive line) have to "find their identity," to use Manning's words, during the regular season when this is something that should have been addressed months ago.

That said, we are 4-0 and our defense is destroying people. Of course Peyton's arm isn't what it used to be but his football intelligence is off the charts. Am I the only one impressed with his clutch game-winning drives, his composure, and game management? I don't think QB statistics accurately reflect Manning's performance this season. Unfortunately, however, stats are the layman "idiot's guide" to talking about football.

Mark my words: our offense WILL continue to improve and if this team stays healthy I just don't see any other AFC team stopping us. Yea, I said it.

The Patriots and their SEE!-WE-DON'T-NEED-TO-CHEAT! numbers don't scare me. That number one seed is going to be decided at Mile High. And if the Broncos can secure it, so is the road to the Super Bowl.

Then there are those Broncos fans that actually have a clue like this guy:

Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
Frankly I think with Osweiler we'd be running Kubiak's offense from under center, often with a fullback, and it would be better in virtually every way. And I'm not even a big Osweiler guy. This hybridization of the two systems is just not good, and it's not even worth it since Manning is pretty much done.<!-- / message -->

I think the lack of practice time is really effecting the o-line play across the league. I can't remember the last time I've seen this many terrible offensive lines. As a result, the QBs really do have to make quicker decisions than ever before, (or risk getting hurt).

BB has been playing 3 rookie interior O linemen so are you saying BB is cheating to get more practice time? :poke:

Back