So I quit my job today......

My first job, when I was 16 was at this crappy little department store, where my mom also worked. She got me a job in layaway. Layaway at a freakin' KMart knock off. In case you've ever wondered what people put in layaway, it's everything. Sticks of deoderant, anything that isn't perishable, they'll put it in their layaway for a couple months.

Well, the thing about Layaway is that there's really nothing going on back there until around September, with people putting their Christmas stuff in. So, you get bored. You might see 3 people in a five hour shift. (On the other hand, around Christmas, it's insane, and they were telling me I'd have to work until 1 a.m., despite me being 16, and that being illegal).

So, I'd go around and grab things off the shelves, and call people back from those departments to pick them up. Just to have someone to talk to. Mostly shoes. Because it was right in front of us, and the shoes girl was HOT.

We had a rat in the Layaway, and she told the bosses, and I got yelled at. So, I walked in the office, grabbed my timecard, and flung it through the window of the office.

My whole way out of the store, they were frantically paging me over the intercom. Sweetest walk ever, right there.

Never walked out under those types of circumstances.

In the high tech industry, it's usually prudent to get another job first and then leave gracefully, no matter the circumstances. References are critical to getting jobs. Burning bridges will usually come back to haunt you in high tech. In this area, many people know and have worked with many others in different companies.

Ive walked away from many good jobs....friends say Ive got brass balls.I just smile and wave goodbye....The thing is if you work hard at everything you do,and watch the little details...you will always be valuable to some other company.Take your excellence elsewhere where its appreciated.I might add Ive never been fired.:rockon:

I never did this, and the one job that I had where I REALLY wanted to do it, I didn't and lined up another job before I left. I even sucked it up through the exit interview (which was bullsh*t - just the ahole manager & me, no HR, no witnesses).... all with the advice of not burning any bridges ringing in my ears.

I've been watching the group that I left crash and burn since :) and that's pretty satisfying... not quite as satisfying as seeing the look on that bastard's face, but satisfying enough.

Never walked out under those types of circumstances.

In the high tech industry, it's usually prudent to get another job first and then leave gracefully, no matter the circumstances. References are critical to getting jobs. Burning bridges will usually come back to haunt you in high tech. In this area, many people know and have worked with many others in different companies.

Agreed. I'm just too fond of sleeping inside and eating every day.

I agree with everyone else that said you are nuts.:doh: I hope you find something quick. I never realized how bad the economy was until I started looking for a job. I have 10 years in my field and great references and am having an extremely hard time finding a job. :( I hope you have much better luck.

As a teenager I left a job at lunchtime on the first day never to return...

I also almost worked at McDonalds that same summer. I wen't to the orientation, got my uniform and schedule but just couldn't do it...they kept calling me to get the hat and shirt backROFL

Good Luck Wise! (I'll always call you "wise")

I quit a paper route once.

I also quit a job assembling baby furniture at a BabiesRus type of place before there werre BabiesRus. Boss was an azzhole. He drove a convertible Jag and came into the store and said go wipe my window off for me...so i go out there and he OBVIOUSLY tried to huck a lungie and caught the window...I walked back in and said "You don't pay me enough to clean your spit...I quit"

I worked at a car dealership as a lot boy and my boss brought me in and said "what are you doing here? you want to end up like all these miserable people? why don't you go to college or join the military?"

The rest is history.

yeah I quit a job once while holding a box knife in my hand (not on purpose I was using it when the urge to quit hit me) and the poor guy later told me he thought I was going to cut him.

I also quit a job where I was manager of a survey department, I told the boss "if you hire a certain person, I quit"....he hired him so I quit and had two job offers within 24 hours. funny thing is that company went from doing extremely well (I managed about 2/3 of the accounts) to closing the doors in two years. The person he hired screwed up so much the company was paying out too much in errors that were stupid mistakes.

I saw the boss right before the doors closed and he admitted to me he screwed up not listening to me about the kid - I had 4 resumes and each one he sent over the previous 4 years had different info

Not a quitting story, but I think funny nonetheless.

Back in highschool I worked for McDonalds in the grill area. This was around the time Beavis and Butthead were big and I did a mean Butthead. I can still do it well enough to get the point across, but back then... I was the shit.

As luck would have it I was with a character who had Beavis down doing a 12-6 shift. Somehow we decided to do the entire shift as Beavis and Butthead. I'm not sure how we came to that agreement - it was pretty organic, we certainly didn't discuss it - but the decision was made. Those familiar with the show will recall B&B's antics at the restaurant; frying up toys, tossing uncooked meat around, we did it all and then some. Never once did we go out of character.

That day the store manager was running the floor. She was (and almost certainly still is, thankfully I haven't seen this woman in a decade) a big, ugly, heavyset woman without a single redeeming quality. Truly a dispicable piece of shit.

Well, after the lunch rush was over this behemoth storms over to me like an enraged bull and literally starts screaming at me while poking her finger into my chest. I can still recall feeling he spit glisten my face.

She says her piece and stops, but doesn't back away. It was obvious to everyone that the conversation closer was an apology by me, and the entire place was as silent as I can ever remember it being. Food service veterans will know how loud it is in the back of restaurants. For whatever reason the entire place just seemed preternaturally quiet.

So I turn my head slowly to look at my partner, shake my thumb towards my boss (in a "look over there" type manuever) and say in my best Butthead voice, "What a Dumbass!" and walk away.

I've never seen a face get that red so quickly. How I wasn't fired that day I will never know.

Ive quite a few jobs and every time I did I found a job that paid better than the previous job... In today's job market it can be really tough if your stick with one skill,but I do everything so it doesn't matter...Heck if it came right down to it I would go to the elderly home and pimp myself...I know good OL' Helda would appreciate getting slammed one more time and besides the money is good...

I think I've told this story here before but I once walked out of a part-time summer job. Nothing more exciting than standing in front of a conveyor belt pushing the hot peppers down so the machine could put covers on the bottles and then to find out you are required to work ot.

First day on the job.

8AM - Punch in
9AM - Bored as hell and smelling like a hot pepper.
10AM - Still bored as hell and now realizing I will smell like a hot pepper for weeks regardless of how many showers I take.
11AM - Shift supervisor: "We are working mandatory OT tonight."
Me: "I have another job (which I did) and have to leave at 5PM."
Shift supervisor (with sh!t eating grin): "Well, we are working mandatory OT tonight."
Me: "OK"
12PM: Punch out for lunch (and forever), hasta la vista baby.

One thing Ive learned through the years in the business world most employers and I'm not saying all here, don't give two shits about you and your family...The Bottom line is if your making them money your a hero and if your not your scum to them...Ive actually had a few employers that Ive made friends with and they are very decent people,but that's usually the minority and they were in construction... Bottom line is its a cruel world and if your lucky to find a employer who gives a rats ass about ya hang on to that job for dear life!!!

I basically told off my boss at My second Job I had at 17 years Old. i worked as a baggier at stop and shop in Newport. The boss and management were A-holes. They kept scheduling me to work when i had practice after school or doing games or a meet. I basically told them when they wanted me to work during JV states for outdoor track. Screw you I quit over the phone.

One thing Ive learned through the years in the business world most employers and I'm not saying all here, don't give two shits about you and your family...The Bottom line is if your making them money your a hero and if your not your scum to them...Ive actually had a few employers that Ive made friends with and they are very decent people,but that's usually the minority and they were in construction... Bottom line is its a cruel world and if your lucky to find a employer who gives a rats ass about ya hang on to that job for dear life!!!

:sulk::sulk: I iz teh stoopid.

I've worked in smaller companies for most of my career for this very reason. I've always felt that the size of the organization contributes to how much your employer "cares" about you. When you are an integral part of the organization, and not just another cube dweller, then employers seem to appreciate you more. At least that's been my experience.

Bad move in this economy unless you have somewhere else to go. I would have secured a job first. You can't even collect unemployment now.

Heck, I was networking before I even left the building. That's one of the positive things about the quick service industry - it's hard to find certified managers even if you train them from the ground up. I've filed for unemployment already, and if I get it, great, if not, then so be it. I've also thought about holding a couple of part time jobs and taking some online college courses as well.

And thanks to all the well-wishers. I'm generally a pretty even-keeled guy, but I do have some fire in the belly if you cross me......:fire:

Heck, I was networking before I even left the building. That's one of the positive things about the quick service industry - it's hard to find certified managers even if you train them from the ground up. I've filed for unemployment already, and if I get it, great, if not, then so be it. I've also thought about holding a couple of part time jobs and taking some online college courses as well.

And thanks to all the well-wishers. I'm generally a pretty even-keeled guy, but I do have some fire in the belly if you cross me......:fire:

Next time I'm in your neck of the woods, I'll boycott teh BK, my friend.

In solidarity, brother,

Claremonster

Back