Stephon Gilmore?

Reiss on Gilmore's contract: 5 years with a $65M max value (base value, which is relevant for comp pick calculation, still unkown), includes $18M signing bonus.

Jeff Howe adds some pieces to the puzzle: $23M in year one and another $9M in year 2. Those $32M are fully guaranteed.

With the $18M signing bonus, another $5M in year one and $9M in year two, his cap hits should be $8.6M in 2017 and $12.6M in 2018.

Jeff Howe has all numbers on that deal.

$18M signing bonus, $500k in per-game roster boni ($31,250 per game) each year and base salaries of $4.5M, $8.5M, $9.5M, $10.5M and $11.5M.

The first two base salaries are fully guaranteed, the third is guaranteed for injury only and will become fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2019 league year.

So the $13M/year average is real.

I don't think people should be reading anything into this signing as being any kind of reflection on Butler. Butler has a 1st round tender sitting on him right now. That really says the Pats don't want him to go anyplace and are going to be willing to pay him well for it. If they had only wanted to sign and trade they could have put a franchise tag on him. This way they get to see what kind of offers are out there without the risk of his going anyplace. He will get signed to a good for him and the team contract long before the season starts.

I don't think people should be reading anything into this signing as being any kind of reflection on Butler. Butler has a 1st round tender sitting on him right now. That really says the Pats don't want him to go anyplace and are going to be willing to pay him well for it. If they had only wanted to sign and trade they could have put a franchise tag on him. This way they get to see what kind of offers are out there without the risk of his going anyplace. He will get signed to a good for him and the team contract long before the season starts.

What is interesting about Butler is he is considered a #1 corner right now if he plays with the Pats this year he will be our #2 with Gilmore as our #1. That could hurt Butler's worth for next season when he tries to get paid and he may be looking at a Logan Ryan type of deal. The more I think about this, the more his agent really screwed things up for him.

Why couldn't he be used basically as always. And why might he not be improved in year 4?

Doesn't seem it should hurt value that much if any. Does his making less money make #2 or do you think Gilmore will be better than Butler? Seems many think Butler is better.

Me,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UmzsWxPLIOo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers, BostonTim

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Stephon Gilmore's new baby daughter is named Gisele. He and his wife wanted a "G" name.</p>— Phil Perry (@PhilAPerry) <a href="https://twitter.com/PhilAPerry/status/841354128156692483">March 13, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

People shouldn't read anything into this as any reflection on Butler is all well and fine, but If I'm Butler I'm going to wonder why the Pats didn't give me the Gilmore Deal. In his shoes who wouldn't feel that way?

People shouldn't read anything into this as any reflection on Butler is all well and fine, but If I'm Butler I'm going to wonder why the Pats didn't give me the Gilmore Deal. In his shoes who wouldn't feel that way?

1. Butler isn't a free agent and won't be for another year. Gilmore is. Gilmore was in the same position 2 years ago.
2. Butler has trouble with tall WRs. That's a weakness of his. See Julio in the SB. Gilmore is 2.5 inches taller and has longer arms.
3. The NFL allows the Pats to put a 1st round tender on him.
4. The Pats didn't give Butler the same deal bc they didn't have to.
5. This is business. Butler's agent should tell him all this.

1. Butler isn't a free agent and won't be for another year. Gilmore is. Gilmore was in the same position 2 years ago.
2. Butler has trouble with tall WRs. That's a weakness of his. See Julio in the SB. Gilmore is 2.5 inches taller and has longer arms.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/malcolm-butler-wants-out-of-new-england-reportedly/

Evidently none of those reasons have Butler overjoyed and its looking more probable than not the Pats will get him on the cheap for 1 more year, after that he'll be gone. I don't see him signing anything long term in NE this season
for less than Gilmore dollars.

Stephon Gilmore said his new daughter is named Gisele.

All of this is true.
To me, Butler is still the type of player the Pats should sign. I just hate to think of another Branch type situation (not the actual circs, but the result,losing a great young player and hurting the team) happening.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/malcolm-butler-wants-out-of-new-england-reportedly/

Evidently none of those reasons have Butler overjoyed and its looking more probable than not the Pats will get him on the cheap for 1 more year, after that he'll be gone. I don't see him signing anything long term in NE this season
for less than Gilmore dollars.

He should get an agent that understands NFL Contracts, and what Restricted Free Agency is.

It's clear that he does not understand either of those things.

He's also counting on you, PatriotsFan, to not understand those things either.

He should get an agent that understands NFL Contracts, and what Restricted Free Agency is.

It's clear that he does not understand either of those things.

He's also counting on you, PatriotsFan, to not understand those things either.

I get that, but its not like he is the first player in the league to want a better contract. Its not like he is holding out, at least not yet.

He deserves to get paid imo. But I have no idea what he is demanding or what he has been offered. I think someone should remind him that his teammate once gave him a car tho.

Back