The 2017 NFL Draft

Pats have had to rookies named Malcolm come up big in the last 2 Super Bowls. Any good looking Malcolms out there for next year?

I had lunch yesterday at a bar and they had the sports channel on. The four dudes had their 1st round mocks up and they had either Peppers or Howard at #32. The rich get richer.

Jason ColeVerified account‏<s>@</s>JasonColeBR
DE/OLB Takkarist McKinley said he'll have shoulder surgery (torn labrum, broken glenoid) after full NFL combine workout. 5-6 month recovery.

Ugh. This should drop McKinley 30-45 spots. Shoulder problems often become chronic and frequently recur when under the stress the NFL provides. Hightower is a good example.

Evan Lazar‏<s>@</s>ezlazar <small class="time"> 28m28 minutes ago </small>
One of my favorite tight end options for the <s>#</s>Patriots who's a bit of a sleeper in this draft is Toledo's Michael Roberts. 16 TDs in 2016.
Roberts will also be able to block at the next level with more consistent effort. Just a beast.
6-4, 261 with nearly 12 inch hands and strong. He'd be a really nice Martellus Bennett replacement <s>#</s>Patriots

One of my favorite tight end options for the <s>#</s>Patriots who's a bit of a sleeper in this draft is Toledo's Michael Roberts. 16 TDs in 2016.
Roberts will also be able to block at the next level with more consistent effort. Just a beast.
6-4, 261 with nearly 12 inch hands and strong. He'd be a really nice Martellus Bennett replacement <s>#</s>Patriots

Nice find chev.
Sounds like an excellent guy to keep an eye on.

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/player/michael-roberts/104406

Ourlads' Analysis:

Michael Roberts (Toledo) – 6041, 259, H-11 5/8”, A-33 5/8”. Shrine Game: Huge hands and long arms for the position. Plays faster than timed speed. A red zone target who caught 16 touchdowns in 2016. Demonstrated good run after catch (RAC) ability during the week and on game day. Finishes his runs with power. Can’t be arm-tackled. Could be mistaken for a blocking offensive guard at times. Effective wall off blocker on the line or on the second level sealing linebackers. Lined up in the backfield as an H-back during the week and highlighted his rare talents. Good short area quickness. Good base and redirect quickness

Nice find chev.
Sounds like an excellent guy to keep an eye on.

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/player/michael-roberts/104406

Ourlads' Analysis:

Michael Roberts (Toledo) – 6041, 259, H-11 5/8”, A-33 5/8”. Shrine Game: Huge hands and long arms for the position. Plays faster than timed speed. A red zone target who caught 16 touchdowns in 2016. Demonstrated good run after catch (RAC) ability during the week and on game day. Finishes his runs with power. Can’t be arm-tackled. Could be mistaken for a blocking offensive guard at times. Effective wall off blocker on the line or on the second level sealing linebackers. Lined up in the backfield as an H-back during the week and highlighted his rare talents. Good short area quickness. Good base and redirect quickness

This guy has strong, stout legs and torso. He does actually look like an OG in stature except he doesn't have the gut (and he can run).

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.21%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yWAdc8WAw_s?ecver=2" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" width="641" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SBt8oWK5DOE?ecver=2" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen="" width="593" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Ourlads' Analysis:

Few things scream "potential Patriot" louder than that characteristic.

But the real question is this: was he a team captain? :D

Patriots awarded 1 compensatory pick this year. 5th round. 185 overall.

This is what the 5th rounder is based on:

NEW ENGLAND

Lost:

Hicks, Akiem; Wilson, Tavon

Gained:

McClellin, Shea

Mayock. “This is as good and as deep a class as I’ve seen in a draft in several years—with the exception of quarterback and offensive line. Running backs and tight ends, top end and depth are outstanding. Tight ends—I haven’t seen a group like this in years. Wide receivers, very good. Defensively, it’s unbelievable. The edge rushers … we haven’t seen a group like this in a long, long time. You’ll be able to get a starting edge rusher in the fourth round that last year or most drafts you’d compare to an edge rusher in the second round. Cornerbacks and safeties, it’s the best I’ve seen in 10 years at least.”

Hmmm. With some Stephen Hill-ian perspective, let’s go over the Ten Things Mayock Thinks About the 2017 NFL scouting combine.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/27/nfl-draft-mike-mayock-combine-top-prospects-peter-king

BB is salivating...

looks good in the video you posted, IF I must look for a quick flaw out of the highlight clip I will.

I am concerned a few times the ball went to the body and was not caught with his hands bringing the ball into the DB's strike zone to knock it out or it was a bobbled catch, not clean in the fingers/hands.

I would love to see a pancake highlight clip.

Mayock. “This is as good and as deep a class as I’ve seen in a draft in several years—with the exception of quarterback and offensive line. Running backs and tight ends, top end and depth are outstanding. Tight ends—I haven’t seen a group like this in years. Wide receivers, very good. Defensively, it’s unbelievable. The edge rushers … we haven’t seen a group like this in a long, long time. You’ll be able to get a starting edge rusher in the fourth round that last year or most drafts you’d compare to an edge rusher in the second round. Cornerbacks and safeties, it’s the best I’ve seen in 10 years at least.”

Hmmm. With some Stephen Hill-ian perspective, let’s go over the Ten Things Mayock Thinks About the 2017 NFL scouting combine.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/27/nfl-draft-mike-mayock-combine-top-prospects-peter-king

BB is salivating...

Let the sleeper talk begin. I give you Adam Shaheen. 6'6" 265.

Sure he played at a tiny DII school. Just watch and tell me he wouldn't be an interesting late round selection.

"I watched him for two games and turned the tape off because I want to see him live in Indy before I develop any more of an opinion of him. I saw some things that has me very excited." - AFC pro personnel director

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vDJLRgh2vp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've been warning about this for years. Bama players weigh in on why Bama prospects are so often injured and worn out.

On the same day that Alabama's Cam Robinson told Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle that he was the best tackle in this draft class, he begged off on the bench press, citing a shoulder injury.
Now, players get hurt. It happens.
But with Alabama players, this is a trend. An alarming trend stretching back more than a few years.
Per Ian Rapoport of NFL.com, Robinson's teammate (and fellow first-round prospect) Jonathan Allen hopes to lift in Indy later this week to allay the same concerns that Robinson just raised...
That the Crimson Tide's grueling practices have left him damaged goods.
As Joe Schad of the Palm Beach Post reported, former Crimson Tide player Joel Steen went so far as to infer banged-up Alabama players are encouraged to play through injuries they possibly shouldn't.
"If you can work through pain, you can go," he said. "But at 'Bama, that was the problem. A lot of things you went through and you shouldn’t have. You should have stayed off of it. That’s why a lot of guys from 'Bama are hurt."
As Gregg Bell of the Tacoma News-Tribune tweeted, Robinson himself admitted to reporters at the combine that Alabama's practices are often more grueling than their games.
Some will call this making a mountain of a molehill. And Nick Saban's job isn't to get his players ready for the NFL. It's to win games in Tuscaloosa. But more than once we've seen high-end Alabama prospects enter the NFL nicked up.
And don't think for a second scouts haven't noticed.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Mountain or mole hill? I say big deal but if it drops Foster to the Pats I'm a happy camper.
Adam Schefter

<a class="_5pcq" href="https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/1423883137664323" target=""><abbr title="Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 6:27am" data-utime="1488626838" data-shorten="1" class="_5ptz timestamp livetimestamp"></abbr>

NFL officials are reviewing the procedures that contributed to Alabama LB Reuben Foster getting into a "heated altercation" with a hospital worker to see if they can make improvements and ensure it doesn't happen again, per league sources. Another league source said there was a "miscommunication" that allowed the argument between Foster and a hospital worker to escalate. Foster had been waiting for an extended period for what the NFL calls his "pre-exam", when he grew increasingly impatient and began questioning a hospital worker. The hosptial worker did not take kindly to Fosters words and eventually the two were face to face, in a heated exchange. Other players were there at the time and the NFL is questioning them to get a full account of events. But one league source said the league has to review the procedures and create better communication so that players understand what is happening and why there are delays. Foster is a potential top 10 pick and one executive from team said last night he thought, coming into the combine, that "Foster was a legitimate top 3 pick."
edit:
Robert Klemko‏Verified account <s>@</s>RobertKlemko<small class="time"> </small>
Adding some detail to Reuben Foster incident which led to his dismissal from combine, per source...
Foster grew impatient with long line for exams... pulled the 'do you know who I am?' card.
A male hospital employee, unimpressed, told him he would wait like everyone else.
Foster warned the man that he'd put hands on him, and the employee said, simply, Do it.
That's when the "face to face, heated exchange" happened, as Schefter reported.

After reading Klemko's account my caution alarm went off loudly. Saban has the answers for BB.

Back