The NFL Draft, 2022

I doubt it, but, if they were stuck, they could have drafted numerous players instead that were graded much higher. But yeah, BB has his own grading system. Jordan Richards was a masterful choice back in the day...
my opinion is that bb values the draft, but not more than anything else ( i.e. pro personnel, udfa). all involve talent evalution and team fit. a lot of us look at the draft as THE be all and end all.

Last edited:
Except for Wynn, I would argue that it is too early to call the rest of those guys mediocre and wrecking the cap.

14M for Agholor this year, 14M for Jonnu this year, Godchaux at 11M, Wynn at 11M... 50M sunk into players who aren't good. And directly led to Mason being traded, a young player who was their best OLineman.

14M for Agholor this year, 14M for Jonnu this year, Godchaux at 11M, Wynn at 11M... 50M sunk into players who aren't good. And directly led to Mason being traded, a young player who was their best OLineman.
The first two I think will do better this next year...Wynn should be a guard. He would be better there. He sux at LT. I'm not impressed with Godchaux.

Shaq Mason was nowhere near the best Offensive Lineman last year, that was Onwenu, Mason was nowhere near good enough last year, a serious regression from his previously high standards.

The first two I think will do better this next year...Wynn should be a guard. He would be better there. He sux at LT. I'm not impressed with Godchaux.

Agree completely. Wynn should be moved to guard. Wynn is an injury prone LT or last year played all year but mediocre. Trent Brown should play LT and Onwenu should play RT. Godhaux is an 11M bust, one of the main reasons the Pats gave up historically bad run defense yardage. He's routinely pushed back.

my opinion is that bb values the draft, but not more than anything else i.e. pro personnel, udfa). all involve talent evalution and team fit. a lot of us look at the draft as THE be all and end all.

BB has been one of the best GMs ever because of his mid to late (and UDFA) picks. His first picks the last 10 years haven't been good aside from Mac. And just forget about DB in the 2nd round.

Shaq Mason was nowhere near the best Offensive Lineman last year, that was Onwenu, Mason was nowhere near good enough last year, a serious regression from his previously high standards.

How can you say this with a straight face and be okay with crappy Wynn getting 11M this year.

BB has been one of the best GMs ever because of his mid to late (and UDFA) picks. His first picks the last 10 years hasn't been good aside from Mac. And just forget about DB in the 2nd round.
i always try to remember that #1, bb was an econ major. that's one reason the middle is his fave. pats have a large middle class of players, a lot of those are mid round/udfa. more cost efficient and lose less when have to replace ("next man up" wise).

How can you say this with a straight face and be okay with crappy Wynn getting 11M this year.

I'm not ok with it, but who else have the Patriots got at OT? Maybe this year Wynn finally shows he's actually worth that 1st round pick that was invested in him? Maybe BB figures "Better the Devil You Know" for this year and then goes out in FA next year and picks up a franchise LT?

Facts.

PFF graded Kenyon Green's 2021 season at 79.8 and he was fine as a 1st round pick.

PFF graded Cole Strange's 2021 season at 86.3 and some have a problem with him as a 1st round pick.
Strange earned an 86.3 PFF grade in 2021 and tested well at the NFL Scouting Combine with a 5.03-second 40-yard dash (89th percentile), 10-foot broad jump (100th percentile), 28-inch vertical leap (52nd percentile), 7.44-second three-cone drill (90th percentile), 4.5-second short shuttle (92nd percentile) and 31 bench press reps of 225 pounds (87th percentile) at 6-foot-5 (70th percentile) and307 pounds (37th percentile) with 33-inch arms (43rd percentile) and 10 1/8-inch hands (73rd percentile).
An AFC executive — not employed by the Patriots, to be specific — said, “He’s a good player, he will be a starter,” he said. “Just picking good players is the key if you like them.”

And the Patriots clearly liked Strange. He was unsurprisingly the top player on their board when they were picking 29th overall, according to head coach Bill Belichick, who also said New England probably would have taken Strange even if they didn’t trade back from No. 21 overall. Belichick also said Strange “wouldn’t have lasted much longer.”

And he might just be correct about that. One source indicated the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, picking 33rd overall, and the New York Jets, selecting 38th overall, also were high on Strange.

2022 NFL Draft: Wide receiver trades, Cole Strange pick ... - PFF​

I'm not trying to diss this player Strange. I think he's going to be a good LG and start right away. He better.

But the Pats right now are worse than last year. Haven't fixed losing JC Jackson, Van Noy, Hightower. Godchaux, Bentley still suck on run defense. All the Pats did was fill a rookie guard after losing an All Pro guard.

spend the next 10 picks all on defense.

yeah...but you know...Jets
Lol normally I would agree. The jury is definitely still out on Wilson but I’m really loving the direction that JD is heading. He did a great job in FA shoring up the OL, Saftey, TE & CB positions and it’s tough to argue with yesterday’s picks.

I think that Agholor, Jonnu, and God all have the ability to be worthy of those contracts.
Without McDaniels, hopefully Agholor and Jonnu will prove that.
Wynn for $11 is serviceable, not spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not trying to diss this player Strange. I think he's going to be a good LG and start right away. He better.

But the Pats right now are worse than last year. Haven't fixed losing JC Jackson, Van Noy, Hightower. Godchaux, Bentley still suck on run defense. All the Pats did was fill a rookie guard after losing an All Pro guard.

spend the next 10 picks all on defense.

Yet you keep ignoring the excellent potential the Patriots already have at LB.

And Mason was not a friggin’ All Pro guard. Former, yes. But you’re high on drugs if you think he was good last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks BB,

The Chiefs have needs at receiver after the Tyreek Hill trade, but instead trade up with the Patriots (who have a real need at cornerback) for Trent McDuffie, the best CB in this draft not named Sauce Gardner or Derek Stingley Jr. McDuffie is an aggressive man cornerback with great range who will fit perfectly in Steve Spagnuolo’s defense.

Back