The NFL Draft, 2022

We gotta take what we can get. The last couple years really have felt different tho. We seem to have a legit GM who’s done a great job of improving the talent on this team. Now it’s up to the coaching staff and Zach Wilson to translate that into wins.
I think the Jets did quite well, difficult for me to understand how anyone could objectively argue otherwise. As inferred above, their long-term problems have extended well beyond players drafted. The Bills were last place for six straight seasons and emerged, the Jets may be next. In addition to organizational management, it partly depends on whether Wilson will emerge or end up going the Sam Darnold/Daniel Jones route.

As for NE, I complained about early picks, liked some later ones, interested to see what the defense will look like. Now, time to move on and hope for the best.

For those wondering, ESPN's Mel Kiper says that the Pats draft was the worst of all 32 teams. :coffee:

As an aside, part of me wonders, do you think teams like the Pats, who knew that they had almost no shot of picking guys like Walker or Hutchinson even include these players on their draft boards?

EDIT: Browsing on Reddit and came across this absolute gem of a comment on the thread regarding Kiper's grade

Mel Kiper gave the Pats an A- in 2019 (4th best). Just a reminder on that class:

1st: N'keal Harry
2nd: Joejuan Williams
3rd: Chase Winovich
3rd: Damien Harris
3rd: Yodny Cajuste
4th: Hjalte Froholdt
4th: Jarrett Stidham

plus, just look at the other teams in the top 5 graded:

Colts, top overall grade: no 1st, 2nd-Rock Ya-sin, 2nd-Ben Banogu, 2nd- Paris Campbell, 3rd-Bobby Okereke
Bengals, 2nd best grade: 1st-Jonah Williams, 2nd-drew sample, 3rd-Germaine Pratt
Browns, third best grade: no 1st, 2nd-Greedy Williams, 3rd: Sione Takitaki, 4th- Sheldrick Redwine
Patriots, 4th best grade, see above
Washington, fifth best grade: 1st-Dwayne Haskins

Do you think any of these teams had a good draft, let alone the top 5 drafts in the league? I see maybe 2 names I think were good value on the 20 names I listed, and I see some absolutely horrific picks (N'keal, Haskins).

Last edited:
Think the Zappe pick has more to do with Stidham than anything.

Looks like Zappe is going to need a lot of practice and game time to get used to the speed of the NFL.

Really concerned with how well the Chiefs and Ravens made out in the draft, fantastic drafts for them. And the AFC East is going to be extremely competitive with Buffalo and Miami.

Is McGrone seriously optionA to fix the terrible run defense? Van Noy actually had a good season and Mr February Hightower to me should get the Bruschi/Troy-Brown treatment and be brought back if he wants to play.

Not trying to start fights, I'm just reallly pissed the way this draft turned out. We all know Bill marches to a different tune when it comes to the draft but I've never seen it this outside the box before. Like I said previously, no one will be more happy to be proven wrong than me, but the way I see it we have a worse roster than the Jets now.
Now I have been around for a few years and I see many post not all that different from what you are posting. Yet I have seen 20+ years of BB drafting like this and some how he seems to do alright. We don't know how some of the young guys are developing like Barmore, Bledsoe, McGrone, and I still think Josh Uche has a lot of upside yet.

I'm gonna sit and wait. I haven't had time to dive into the stats, videos and excessive info on our new players. There are some things that don't translate to paper and something on paper don't translate to the field. And at the end of the day, for me, this is who we have, this is who the staff has to work with so I'm not going to complain about who we didn't get and why we got who we got. Me complaining to the TV screen or on any forum doesn't change the new guys one iota for training camp. JMHO Just me.

Really concerned with how well the Chiefs and Ravens made out in the draft, fantastic drafts for them. And the AFC East is going to be extremely competitive with Buffalo and Miami.

Is McGrone seriously optionA to fix the terrible run defense? Van Noy actually had a good season and Mr February Hightower to me should get the Bruschi/Troy-Brown treatment and be brought back if he wants to play.

I am going to disagree on your Hightower perspective. He looked slow and over matched at times last season, even getting run over a few times. He took a year off, it was his choice which I respect under the circumstances but he's aging and is definitely not the player he once was. For all the questions on how Belichick builds the team, one area he has been pretty good at it is knowing when it may be time to let a player walk.

The one argument you could make to bringing him back at this point is they didn't add at the LB spot this past weekend but the cap is an issue for the Pats at this point and I think they are going to have to see what they have in some of these young players that have been sort of red shirted due to injuries. Not saying it is going to work out in their favor but bringing Hightower back at this point at anything less than a dirt cheap contract doesn't seem like a great option.

Shamelessly stole this from Reddit, but here is what fansided said after the 2014 draft

ngtry7x7frw81.jpg

FWIW that Silas Redd was out the league by the end of 2016, tore his ACL/MCL in the first preseason game of 2015, was suspended twice, once for PEDs and once for Substance Abuse

Note that fansided also graded the N'Keal Harry pick as an A.

It is far too early to give an accurate assessment before any of those drafted have even played a single snap.
Should have been a Super Bowl MVP.

Could have gotten Silas...who?

Should have been a Super Bowl MVP.

Could have gotten Silas...who?

Same "experts" (and a few mixed nuts) are screaming like banshees about this entire draft. Neither the "experts" nor or pissed off PP'ers have a clue how these players are going to turn out.

Exactly, Silas who?

Same "experts" (and a few mixed nuts) are screaming like banshees about this entire draft. Neither the "experts" nor or pissed off PP'ers have a clue how these players are going to turn out.

Exactly, Silas who?
Here's the thing, I think the media got lied to this year, so they're all pissy-pants, and that plays a role in things. It's so petty, but it wouldn't be the Boston BSM if it weren't.

If we get 3 starters and a contributor, that's all you can ask for, and I think Marcus Jones has ROY potential just on return game alone, that kid is electric.

HT is cooked...

I am going to disagree on your Hightower perspective. He looked slow and over matched at times last season, even getting run over a few times. He took a year off, it was his choice which I respect under the circumstances but he's aging and is definitely not the player he once was. For all the questions on how Belichick builds the team, one area he has been pretty good at it is knowing when it may be time to let a player walk.

The one argument you could make to bringing him back at this point is they didn't add at the LB spot this past weekend but the cap is an issue for the Pats at this point and I think they are going to have to see what they have in some of these young players that have been sort of red shirted due to injuries. Not saying it is going to work out in their favor but bringing Hightower back at this point at anything less than a dirt cheap contract doesn't seem like a great option.
HT was garbage last year. Agreed. 100% liability. Everytime that I seen him, it was because he missed another tackle. Similar to Bentley and KVN.

Back