Von Miller Says He Will Be a Bronco For Life

I was listening to Sirius XM this AM (I know - probably a mistake) and the morning guys on Mad Dog Radio were talking about how Philly's deal with Fletcher Cox was cheap in the first year and escalates. They suggested that Denver can utilize the same philosophy.

Cox gets $1.3M as his base in 2016 with a signing bonus of $26M. I know there are escalators in there but why couldn't HorseFace do this with Miller?

The clock is ticking...

cuckoo

Von Miller: I won’t sign franchise tag, it’s “a league-wide problem”
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 11, 2016, 4:20 PM EDT

Broncos outside linebacker Von Miller insists that he will not play this season for the $14 million franchise tag, calling the tag itself a problem for players that he can help fix.

“No, I’m not gonna play on the franchise tag. It just doesn’t make sense in any way,” Miller said on ESPN.

Miller claims that his issue isn’t about the money. His issue is that the franchise tag is inherently unfair to NFL players because it restricts their ability to find out their true market value.

“I’ve never really played for money,” Miller said. “It’s bigger than that for me. It’s a league-wide problem that I feel like I’m in a situation to help out with.”

The question then becomes, What if Miller and the Broncos can’t work out a deal by Friday, which is the deadline for franchise players to sign a long-term contract? If that deadline passes, and Miller and the Broncos still haven’t agreed to a deal, there aren’t a lot of good options left.

One option would be for Miller to sign the franchise tag, but he says he won’t do that. Another option would be for the Broncos to agree to pay Miller more than the $14 million franchise tag number on a one-year deal this season, but that seems unlikely: Teams believe they negotiated for the right to use the franchise tag, and they don’t want to give that up. And the final option would be for Miller to refuse to play, on the idea that he could make more as a free agent next year.

Miller is strongly suggesting that he could skip the entire 2016 season. That still seems unlikely, but it becomes more likely if he hasn’t signed by Friday.

So if I'm understanding him correctly, he's basically saying, it's not about the money, it's about fairness.

They should have asked him if more money would make it more fair.

:dith:

So if I'm understanding him correctly, he's basically saying, it's not about the money, it's about fairness.

They should have asked him if more money would make it more fair.

:dith:

Don't forget respect now, how is he supposed to get a phat new pile of bricks with that lousy 14 million dollars? :coffee:

This idea that players are handling their contracts with future players in mind is total PR spin and crapola. Miller wants to get PAID. Period. He deserves to get paid. Not sure why he is so afraid to just say it.

This is an interesting tid bit:

If Miller and the Broncos have not worked out a multiyear contract by 2 p.m. Friday, the two sides can no longer negotiate until Jan. 2, 2017, the day after Denver’s last regular-season game. That would leave Miller with a $14.26 million salary for 2016 as an “exclusive” franchise tagged player.

Miller has vowed he will not play on the tag and his threat is believable because of a collective bargaining agreement provision that could increase his bargaining leverage by sitting out the entire season rather than play on the $14.26 million salary. (Sitting out the year means the Broncos could not again place the “exclusive” franchise tag designation on Miller next year. And the compensation for teams signing him away would drop from two, first-round picks to a first- and a third-round pick.)

Thus, if the Broncos can’t sign Miller to a new deal by Friday, the next best thing would be to trade him away before the deadline in order to maximize his value.

Trade Miller after 2 p.m. Friday, and his new team could only get him on a one-year contract. Trade Miller before 2 p.m. Friday and his new could get him on a multiyear contract.

http://www.9news.com/mb/sports/nfl/...g-on-signing-not-trading-von-miller/269863530

Me thinks Jerrah has already faxed a fat contract to Miller.

For the sake of the Donkos...I hope that Von sinks his anchor down for the long haul.

I mean, he needs to feed his family!!!! :coffee:

This is an interesting tid bit:

If Miller and the Broncos have not worked out a multiyear contract by 2 p.m. Friday, the two sides can no longer negotiate until Jan. 2, 2017, the day after Denver’s last regular-season game. That would leave Miller with a $14.26 million salary for 2016 as an “exclusive” franchise tagged player.

Miller has vowed he will not play on the tag and his threat is believable because of a collective bargaining agreement provision that could increase his bargaining leverage by sitting out the entire season rather than play on the $14.26 million salary. (Sitting out the year means the Broncos could not again place the “exclusive” franchise tag designation on Miller next year. And the compensation for teams signing him away would drop from two, first-round picks to a first- and a third-round pick.)

Thus, if the Broncos can’t sign Miller to a new deal by Friday, the next best thing would be to trade him away before the deadline in order to maximize his value.

Trade Miller after 2 p.m. Friday, and his new team could only get him on a one-year contract. Trade Miller before 2 p.m. Friday and his new could get him on a multiyear contract.

http://www.9news.com/mb/sports/nfl/...g-on-signing-not-trading-von-miller/269863530

Me thinks Jerrah has already faxed a fat contract to Miller.

But he's technically a free agent, how can the Donks trade him?

But he's technically a free agent, how can the Donks trade him?

They can't trade him if he doesn't sign his tender. They would have to arrange a sign and trade with a willing partner.

Schefter just tweeted an ESPN story reporting Broncos have offered 6 yrs, $114.5m. $70m guar.

$70 mil guaranteed is the most in NFL history for a non-QB. Luck just got $87.

That number is mind boggling for a player like Miller who had 11 sacks last year and has a history of disappearing and a drug suspension BUT he was SB MVP. This contract is monstrous but they have no quality QB to pay for the foreseeable future either. lol.

Lost in the Brady discussion is that Miller and Denver agreed to a contract.

The Von Miller contract details

Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2016, 2:50 PM EDT

The Von Miller deal is done. Mike Klis of 9news.com in Denver has most of the details. Here they are:

1. $23 million signing bonus;

2. $2 million “salary and workout bonus other bonuses” for 2016, all guaranteed. (It’s technically too late to earn workout bonuses; the offseason program is over.)

3. $17 million in salary and bonuses for 2017, fully guaranteed.

4. $19 million salary and bonuses for 2018, guaranteed for injury only at signing and fully guaranteed on March 2017.

5. $17.5 million in salary and bonuses, $9 million of which is guaranteed for injury only at signing, in 2019. The $9 million becomes fully guaranteed in March 2018.

6. A total of $36 million in salary and bonuses for 2020 and 2021 combined. None of which is guaranteed.

It works out to $42 million fully guaranteed at signing, $61 million fully guaranteed by March 2017, and $70 million fully guaranteed by March 2018.

As a practical matter, he’ll get the $70 million. If they cut him before March 2017, they’ll have $35.4 million in dead money under the cap. If they cut him before March 2018, they’ll have $32.8 million in dead money under the cap.

So it’s a three-year, $70 million deal with a team option, year-to-year, for the back end at three more years and an extra $44.5 million.

In all, it’s the richest deal ever given to a defensive player. Imagine how much more he would have gotten if he’d been able to go to the open market.

This is great. Denver forking over all that money to a defensive player who is one violation away from being suspended for an entire season.

This is great. Denver forking over all that money to a defensive player who is one violation away from being suspended for an entire season.

This is awesome. Hope they like Butt Fumble.

I cannot believe they gave Miller QB money.
I admit I chuckle thinking it might be PM's fault indirectly for sucking so hard that the only thing that saved them was Miller's play ion the playoffs so they think he'll be better than he is.

A guy walking a very thin tightrope imho. You'd have to have serious concerns about his.....let's call it, "unnatural abilities".

I cannot believe they gave Miller QB money.
I admit I chuckle thinking it might be PM's fault indirectly for sucking so hard that the only thing that saved them was Miller's play ion the playoffs so they think he'll be better than he is.

Hell they gave him epic Qb money. lol Going to be hard to get a good Qb in there for awhile.

Hell they gave him epic Qb money. lol Going to be hard to get a good Qb in there for awhile.

His cap hit this year is $11.4M but the next 5 yrs it is $20M+/-.

The Sporting News compares his contract to other top defensive players in the league in an informative article regarding the signing bonus, cash flow and cap hits.

CASH FLOWS
von-miller-contract4_1ech5w5eit0v915v4qhek7byum.png

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...akdown-info-broncos/r2c64ya3tbhf1ftbhdgfdq2id

Back