What do you drive?

I have a project BMW in the backyard that I think is a couple of weeks away from running. it's a 1991 3 series convertible. I got it from some older friends of mine who had stopped driving it five or six years ago when it died. They decided that they didn't want to spend the time and effort on it. So it's been sitting for a long time and it's absolutely filthy. But there is no rust and it's never had a collision. The best part is they gave it to me. View attachment 96086

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am 100% sure that I am going to buy an old SL at some point.
As I can't really afford to pay six figures for a nice 1955-60ish 190SL, it'll probably be a 1970ish one. Like this one:

44602634-770-0@2x.jpg

I am 100% sure that I am going to buy an old SL at some point.
As I can't really afford to pay six figures for a nice 1955-60ish 190SL, it'll probably be a 1970ish one. Like this one:

44602634-770-0@2x.jpg

Word: Make sure you can find a private MB certified mechanic since dealerships are too expensive.

If I wanted a fast car, I would get a somewhat of a sleeper of a fast car.

001-2016-cadillac-cts-v-1.jpg

Corvette engine but four doors.

2008 madza CX-7 . The dealership lied there ass on me when I brought it.

Have a 2007 BMW 335i that has a mod list as long as your arm. Recently converted it to a single turbo and put an LSD and a bunch of other parts in it. Currently putting down 700hp/680tq.

4WYyuOr.jpg

V6n3cGT.jpg

And just picked up a daily 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 w/ Lux II

s5I6jFA.jpg

Have a 2007 BMW 335i that has a mod list as long as your arm. Recently converted it to a single turbo and put an LSD and a bunch of other parts in it. Currently putting down 700hp/680tq.

4WYyuOr.jpg

V6n3cGT.jpg

And just picked up a daily 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 w/ Lux II

s5I6jFA.jpg

Sweet.

Cheers

I've been tooling around in a '97 Maxima for some time now. Overall it's been reliable, with some hiccups, and comfortable to drive, but it's over 160K now and it has some creaks and complaints that make me nervous to drive it any significant distance. Good news is I just got a new job, so I'm gonna get something new, probably in September. Planet, please advise :Lecture:

I want to spend probably 20K, but no more than 25. I want something that's comfortable for driver and passengers, a 4-door of some sort. Also something that's reliable with decent mileage. My main target has been Ford Focus, I drove a rental once and liked it. I've seen the Mazda 3 talked about as comparable, and a good choice, but I don't know much about it.

Oh, and Mrs. Shoulder drives an FJ Cruiser. It's sometimes nice when we're camping or something, but I hate driving it. The visibility is awful, changing lanes an adventure. Also, it seems we get a recall notice on some part or other every year. Hasn't had any serious issues with it though.

I'm considering a used 4runner or Highlander for my next (even browsed Sequoias a bit). Personally, I have never owned Toyota, but plenty of my family members have, and I have always wanted to have that reliability.

Highlander would be an excellent choice! Great SUV, Toyota dependability, built on a Camry chassis (the 4-runner is built on a Tacoma chassis which equals much harder ride, which takes its toll if you have lots of miles to drive).

I was looking for a used Highlander a few years back and found a Lexus RX300 (which is the Lexus version of the Highlander) for around the same price. Absolutely loved it! Now updated with a used Lexus RX400H which is the hybrid version. Absolutely love it! (Ok, my wife loves it and I do when I get to drive it. Otherwise I'm in my Toyota Echo, which is bombproof.) Toyota and most independent mechanics like to work on them, unlike other luxury brands, and they are as reliable, or more so, than Toyota.

Since the OP is considering an SUV, I thought I would chime in.

I have a 2011 RAV4 that I bought new in California.

It's the Sports package with 4WD and a V6.

But you can't buy a new RAV4 with those options anymore - Toyota stopped offering the V6 after the 2012 model. Which is too bad, the V6 gets decent mileage for a vehicle this size (25 MPG highway), and is plenty quick when merging onto the highway.

I have had only one problem with it - the CD changer ate some CDs and stopped working about 1 month after the warranty ran out. Toyota put in a new unit for free (never got my CDs back, though).

I drive a 2011 Mazda3 Speed Sport LE. It's the hatchback model. It does everything but wash itself. Leather heated seats, Bose system. Absolutely freakish fast. You can hit 80 in no time and the control is amazing. Perfect size for me, but the Grease Monkey can barely get behind the wheel. He's just too damned big for the vehicle. I could see myself getting a Mazda 6 for the size, but do not want to lose the speed.

I've been tooling around in a '97 Maxima for some time now. Overall it's been reliable, with some hiccups, and comfortable to drive, but it's over 160K now and it has some creaks and complaints that make me nervous to drive it any significant distance. Good news is I just got a new job, so I'm gonna get something new, probably in September. Planet, please advise :Lecture:

I want to spend probably 20K, but no more than 25. I want something that's comfortable for driver and passengers, a 4-door of some sort. Also something that's reliable with decent mileage. My main target has been Ford Focus, I drove a rental once and liked it. I've seen the Mazda 3 talked about as comparable, and a good choice, but I don't know much about it.

Oh, and Mrs. Shoulder drives an FJ Cruiser. It's sometimes nice when we're camping or something, but I hate driving it. The visibility is awful, changing lanes an adventure. Also, it seems we get a recall notice on some part or other every year. Hasn't had any serious issues with it though.

If you are interested in the Focus, I would definitely check out the Mazda too, but the new Corollas seem much bigger too and worth looking at in that class I think.

Highlander would be an excellent choice! Great SUV, Toyota dependability, built on a Camry chassis (the 4-runner is built on a Tacoma chassis which equals much harder ride, which takes its toll if you have lots of miles to drive).

I was looking for a used Highlander a few years back and found a Lexus RX300 (which is the Lexus version of the Highlander) for around the same price. Absolutely loved it! Now updated with a used Lexus RX400H which is the hybrid version. Absolutely love it! (Ok, my wife loves it and I do when I get to drive it. Otherwise I'm in my Toyota Echo, which is bombproof.) Toyota and most independent mechanics like to work on them, unlike other luxury brands, and they are as reliable, or more so, than Toyota.

Yeah, I am not buying any time soon, but I like the truck based aspects of the 4runner, not so much the mileage. The Comfort on the Highlander I test drove was very nice so that is probably the way that I would lean.

Considering used RXs too, but if I am going that class, my wife kind of wants the 3rd row for the very rare times we could use it.

Since the OP is considering an SUV, I thought I would chime in.

I have a 2011 RAV4 that I bought new in California.

It's the Sports package with 4WD and a V6.

But you can't buy a new RAV4 with those options anymore - Toyota stopped offering the V6 after the 2012 model. Which is too bad, the V6 gets decent mileage for a vehicle this size (25 MPG highway), and is plenty quick when merging onto the highway.

I have had only one problem with it - the CD changer ate some CDs and stopped working about 1 month after the warranty ran out. Toyota put in a new unit for free (never got my CDs back, though).

Yeah if I cant get the larger vehicle I want when I am ready to move, I would consider the RAV as an interim vehicle. Would probably find a 2012 Limited V6.

Back