What job skills do you bring to post-apocalyptic survival?

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
And I don't mean things you might already know. Like, if you are a weekend survival warrior leaving off the land, but in your day job, you sell ice cream cones, only looking for your ice cream cone skills here. What, if anything, from your CURRENT career would be useful in a post-apocalyptic world? (Think The Stand, Walking Dead, etc...).

Considering I live in a cube staring at a computer screen all day, I don't think I have anything that would translate well to a world without power.

I've just recently been given some managerial responsibilities, with one of them having to rank my team members 1-n. The way my manager put it, if you had to start throwing people off the life boat, what order would you do it. My wise ass response was whoever ate the most food.

That being said, I'm just a software engineer, so my skills don't translate to world without computers. So I better start eating less.

Ditto on "work skills useless in world without power"
My kids are into the survivalist stuff and I bought them a book on how to survive in the woods. Was interesting as I hadn't thought of some of the stuff they had in there... like eating Birch Bark! :)
and eating bugs... lots of bugs. Yum!

I draft maps, not sure how that would work in case of an emergency but my years in the field with a machete in the woods determining property lines or the time I spent working on construction sites doing everything from design to the welding of steel 4 stories up (and every job in between - benefit of non-union work) may be of some use.

Well until my 3rd and final retirement I built shelters for people in areas after disasters using mostly scavenged materials. I also was part of the team to set up medical and food distribution systems many times salvaging from the remains of bombed out hospitals, medical storage locations former stores and food storage buildings. I also have many skills from former training and have blacksmithing and gun smithing abilities.

I can do clam bakes. Have a quick temper . So watch out your be on the fire ;).

I am an electrical engineer and, though I do identify as an inventor, any talents and skills that I posses on the invention side of things, all require alternating and direct current. So, I'd likely just sit in the corner twiddling my thumbs.

I'm not very good with guns but I can design and build things. I could come up with some mean vehicles and plenty of other gadgets that would come in handy.

As a plumber, I would hope I would be one of the last ones eaten. The world would be a shitty place without plumbers.

30+ years ago when I was in the Army, I was pretty good at compass and map reading. I wonder if they still make maps (the paper kind, not on a computer) and compasses?

:shrug_n:

Well. I can cook a little. I can fish. I can hunt. i can build soil and grow vegetables. I have good orienteering skills. I'm decent with a bow and arrow (though I've never hunted thusly). Qualified expert with m-1, m-16, m-16 carbine and the m1911A1 .45 caliber automatic pistol (Today it would just knock me on my ass, prolly). I'm not afraid of the dark but can start a fire with bow and spindle and flint and steel. And accelerants, preferably. Find me the ingredients and I'll make some beer. Yes, I was a dedicated Boy Scout).
Yet I wouldn't last a week. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Laborers Union 22. Familiar and comfortable with lots of tool. Learned a lot about inferstrucure, inside workings of a building, whether it be a regular house of huge office buildings. Also improvising and using what I have at my disposal. You see guys building a sidewalk, tearing down something, building something laborers always involved.

Also dealing with different types of people. LoL no one wakes up wanting to do what we do so you will always have people that are unhappy and dont want to work. But the show must go. Most of the time your working close to carpenters, electricians etc so it does take a little delegating and atta boys.

Also just knowing what jobs are where would help me in terms of weapons, food and shelter.

Besides that Im filled with sarcasm and have a general hatred for most people who I find to be useless and stupid. I'd have zero problem protecting my family and killing anyone. I'm somewhat anti social and would stay away from large crowds at all times. Its impossible to feed, give shelter and keep thousands or even hundreds of people in check.
A lot easier protecting , feeding and sheltering 5-10 people.

I grew up in charlestown. So I'm comfortable handling hand guns, rifles, knives for example. And growing up there you can spot bs from miles away.

I'm not saying this all chest out or anything. I'm not some big tough guy, lost more fights than I won lol. Just being honest.

I don't have job-related skills that would be useful in a post-apocalyptic world. But I do have most of the things on this list:

ext

As a plumber, I would hope I would be one of the last ones eaten. The world would be a shitty place without plumbers.
shit happens

30+ years ago when I was in the Army, I was pretty good at compass and map reading. I wonder if they still make maps (the paper kind, not on a computer) and compasses?

:shrug_n:
yes I still use paper maps

Laborers Union 22. Familiar and comfortable with lots of tool. Learned a lot about inferstrucure, inside workings of a building, whether it be a regular house of huge office buildings. Also improvising and using what I have at my disposal. You see guys building a sidewalk, tearing down something, building something laborers always involved.

Also dealing with different types of people. LoL no one wakes up wanting to do what we do so you will always have people that are unhappy and dont want to work. But the show must go. Most of the time your working close to carpenters, electricians etc so it does take a little delegating and atta boys.

Also just knowing what jobs are where would help me in terms of weapons, food and shelter.

Besides that Im filled with sarcasm and have a general hatred for most people who I find to be useless and stupid. I'd have zero problem protecting my family and killing anyone. I'm somewhat anti social and would stay away from large crowds at all times. Its impossible to feed, give shelter and keep thousands or even hundreds of people in check.
A lot easier protecting , feeding and sheltering 5-10 people.

I grew up in charlestown. So I'm comfortable handling hand guns, rifles, knives for example. And growing up there you can spot bs from miles away.

I'm not saying this all chest out or anything. I'm not some big tough guy, lost more fights than I won lol. Just being honest.
Lighten up Francis!!

:coffee:

Since according to this thread the post-apocalyptic world will be filled with men, I'm all set.

:coffee:

Back