What was the last show you binged, and was it worth the time?

this thread feel back several pages... I'm watching Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix. still have 2 more episodes to go.
if you like well animated (looks really good) samurai style action and a good story, it's a good one.
takes place during 17th century "Edo" period in Japan.
can't say much more as first episode ends with a twist that any research before watching gives away. glad I just bumbled across it and started watching.

Mayor of Kingstown and 1923 continue to kick ass.
Mayor of Kingstown is brilliant. It's really dark, but superb.

There is a ratings mismatch between the critics ("unremittingly bleak" AKA the whole fucking point) and viewers, who understand that's the point.

If you have faith in humanity, don't bother. If, like me, your faith in humanity disappeared in childhood, it's brilliant.

Bosch: Legacy is good. It follows on from Bosch, based on Michael Connolly's books. The stories are great and you can tell that real Police Officers have consulted on the programme - not for the storylines, but just for the procedural side of it.

I play streaming service musical chairs. My HBOMAX subscription is up this month and while I did not get around to The Last of Us, I did (finally) watch The Wire, House of the Dragon and Succession.

All were good but Succession creeps to the top of the pile for me (new season starts next month but I will circle back to HBO to wrap it up sometime in the distant future).
I keep hearing good things about Succession, so will have to watch it. I'd be interested to see The Last of Us, given that the first is one of my favourite ever games.

I keep hearing good things about Succession, so will have to watch it. I'd be interested to see The Last of Us, given that the first is one of my favourite ever games.
I did not play the game but my boys are pressing to watch the series.

Always. been a Jane Austin fan. Just binged the six part 1995 Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice mini series. Wonderful job bringing all of the eccentric characters (the girls especially) fully to life and wonderful rendering of Austin's brilliant depiction of the absurd complexity and treachery of Victorian etiquette. A strong 2 thumbs up.

I didn't know where else to put this. I watch "Brooklyn 99" a lot.

Actor Andre Braugher, best known as Captain Raymond Holt, passed away yesterday.

1702485644055.png

I really liked him in "Homicide, Life on the Streets", too.

Currently binging Joe Pickett, what is it with small towns in Wyoming having so many homicides (ie Longmire)?

Currently binging Joe Pickett, what is it with small towns in Wyoming having so many homicides (ie Longmire)?
Hardly anyone lives there…

Last edited:
Attack on Titan one of the greatest plots in history I truly recommend it even if you're not into anime

Long long time favorites, the two great George Smiley miniseries, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy & Smiley's People. Brilliant Cold War espionage thrillers. Have both on disc. But Just stumbled on them presented together, 10+ hours, free on plain old You tube. Alec Guinness is stunning as George Smiley in LeCarre's finest work. So I watched it again for the umpteenth time on you tube. There is probably very little I would ever recommend more highly.. Oldman's movie version of Tinker was good, but not even close imo.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ld2X0Fvypw&t=35606s

Cheers

Last edited:
Long long time favorites, the two great George Smiley miniseries, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy & Smiley's People. Have both on disc. But Just stumbled on them presented together, 10+ hours, free on plain old You tube. Alec Guinness is stunning as George Smiley in LeCarre's finest work. So I watched it again for the umpteenth time on you tube. Their is probably very little I would ever reccomend more highly.

Cheers
Such great stuff. Fantastic recommendation.

I just finished the "original" Money Heist on Netflix. 5 seasons and it was amazing.

A Spanish production, so the dubbing was not that great at times, but it has to be one of the best "heist" movies/shows I've seen in some time, perhaps ever.

It does a really good job of making you think "Oh shiite, they're fracked now" and then pulls a trick that has you saying "damn they have everything figured out!"

Will admit, there were somethings in the last season that stretched credibility a bit, but hey, every show is allowed one or two of those.

Long long time favorites, the two great George Smiley miniseries, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy & Smiley's People. Brilliant Cold War espionage thrillers. Have both on disc. But Just stumbled on them presented together, 10+ hours, free on plain old You tube. Alec Guinness is stunning as George Smiley in LeCarre's finest work. So I watched it again for the umpteenth time on you tube. There is probably very little I would ever recommend more highly.. Oldman's movie version of Tinker was good, but not even close imo.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ld2X0Fvypw&t=35606s

Cheers

Just saw this post now; I absolutely loved Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People. I have them on DVD and watch them both about once a year. Guinness is incredible in both series. The pace of the series as well is brilliantly done and is something lost these days where producers and directors want everything to smash you in the face. You can't beat a slow-paced thriller that takes time to frame the story in the characters.

I just watched season 5 of True Detective, since I'm a sucker for anything set in Alaska and I had heard some positive buzz suggesting that
this season would be as good as season 1, which was, by far, the best. For those unfamiliar, each season has completely
different actors, plots and everything else.

During the first 4 episodes I sometimes had the feeling that there were too many threads hanging to resolve them all and I started
to get a sinking feeling that they were just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it stuck. Turns out I should have listened to my gut
and just moved on.

Then, I watched the finale. Episode 5 resolved some of the major hanging questions, but left massive, gaping holes in others. I felt like
it was like practically every other HBO/MAX series since the Sopranos fizzled out. The network that gave us so many clever series
with smart writing and smart everything has sacrificed their integrity in order to push their political agendas, which tend to be
ludicrously predictable, boring and lazy and this piece of shit was right in their Woke-ass breadbasket. I don't care if you have
asshole greedy white guys in every show who are guilty of exploiting women, minorities, kids, animals and the enviornment as long as
you put some believability, intelligence and artistic skill into it, but.......they apparently can't do so any more or don't think they need to bother.

I won't give away any spoilers, but I hated how they wasted some really creepy set-ups in one of the creepiest places on planet
earth and some good acting performances. Great, actually, when you consider the shit script they were trying to work with. They must
have looked at each other at the table read and said oh, shit.....

If you're dying of curiosity and have to watch then don't say I didn't warn you. I'd recommend skipping it and watching season 1 and
quitting there.

The series I liked the most on HBO recently was The Last of Us, I didn't feel any letdown at all, except that it will be 2 years before there is a season 2.
The family and I loved this series. Two years? Dang it.

The family and I loved this series. Two years? Dang it.

I didn't know it was that long. Cutting MAX today.

Plus, Pedro Pascal is in the new Fantastic Four lineup (playing Reed Richards) and that'll be a very big deal for
Marvel to try to reboot the fading MCU. I don't know how he can do two high-profile franchise shows like
those at the same time.

Back