Babalu

His eyes were mostly closed, that is until his very pretty, young nurse came into the room and introduced herself to us. As soon as she started talking his eyes popped right open. She was there to give him some meds and take his temperature. He watched her the entire time.

No sponge bath for Babs:shrug:

see if the German lady from your work were to arrive with a bucket of cold water and a sponge I could see a quicker recovery than a hot nurse with warm water and a gentle caress

but that thar is how I roll

Good point. He'd be out of that bed in a heart beatROFL

Lots of excellent reports of late! :toast:

Continued thoughts and prayers to babs and his family and friends!

I'm bettin the bastid is just waiting for the Super Bowl to make his grand return... :cuss: :banghead: >)

His eyes were mostly closed, that is until his very pretty, young nurse came into the room and introduced herself to us. As soon as she started talking his eyes popped right open. She was there to give him some meds and take his temperature. He watched her the entire time.

No sponge bath for Babs:shrug:

Ahhhhhhh.

Now we know!

He's milking this thing.:coffee:

A little while after you left, Maureen and the kids showed up. One of the kids brought a toy that played "Jingle Bells." They were playing with it and singing and Jeff was singing right along with them. Singing the whole song. He was alert and interacting with Maureen and the kids while they were there. When they were leaving he was able to raise up both arms and give the kids a great big hug.

I'm going to stop by this afternoon before the Bruins game. I'll let you know how it goes.

Singing is good therapy for neurological recovery.

That's the first thing the speech therapist tried to do with my mother-in-law's stroke, have her try to sing "happy birthday".

She said that very familiar songs can be sung almost on "auto-pilot" and that can help get the whole speaking process going again.

Good to hear he was able to sing along.

I had an awesome visit with Jeff today. When I arrived he was sitting in a wheelchair and had just returned from Occupational Therapy. His therapist said he did a great job and that he had Speech Therapy at 1 and Occupational Therapy at 2:00 PM. He was awake and alert. I asked him how he was doing. He responded in a pretty loud voice with “pretty good.” I got to spend the next hour and a half with him one on one. We were able to have a real conversation. I was able to hear and understand almost everything he was saying. Although he had a couple times where either I couldn’t understand what he was saying or what he was saying didn’t quite fit into the conversation. But overall he was doing great.

I told him I was dragging his ass to the National Homebrew Convention in June in San Diego. Iasked him if it was OK and he said. “Yeah that’s OK.” So I told him he needed to brew something and enter it into the Nationals, and I said it would be great if he won it this time. He said, “that would be nice.”

I asked him what we should brew. “Bass.” I said, we should brew a Bass clone? “Yeah, a Bass clone.” What else should we brew I asked. “Maybe a Porter or something like that.” I said, maybe we should brew your Baltic Porter, that was a good one. “Yeah, Baltic Porter sounds good.” I told him that wouldn’t be a problem, but he had to keep up the hard work and himself the hell out of there. “Yeah, I know.”

We talked a little more about the brew club and brewing. Then Maureen and her Dad showed up. Maureen asked Jeff to look and see who she had with her. “Who’s this Jeff?” He responded with “The brewmaster?” “No Jeff, look at him, who is he?” He said some other name which I didn’t understand. Finally Maureen told him it was her Dad. She brought up a story about not knowing that her Dad swore until Jeff told her about them golfing together. She asked if he remembered golfing with her Dad and he said, “a couple of times.” Her Dad mentioned that he did it because golfing was a frustrating game. Jeff smiled and nodded and said “these things happen.”

Then it was time for his Speech Therapy. I don’t know why they call it that. The therapist asked him a series of questions that she asks each day and they grade the responses on a scale. Today he scored two points higher than yesterday. She then fed him some ice chips, asked him some more questions and fed him some applesauce. He did great with both of them. Then she asked if he wanted to try feeding himself. She asked if he was a righty or a lefty. He responded, “righty, lefty, either way.”
He was able to feed himself with his left hand and need some help with the right. She told Maureen that she would notify his nurses that she could feed him ice chips whenever he wanted. She asked Jeff if he liked chocolate pudding, his response was calm, quiet, “yes.” Then she asked if he liked mashed potatoes, a resounding “YES!” was his answer. Looks like he’s only a few days away from real food.

All in all it was a great visit. I’m really thrilled with his progress from just a few weeks ago. Word is that he’s been green lighted to continue at Spaulding, at least for now.

I know the holiday season is in full swing and we all have a lot going on, but please take a little time to keep Jeff and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Again, thank you for all the updates frank. They are very uplifting to those of us who live out of state and can't make it up there to see him.

So does Babs know what happened to him yet? Does he comprehend all he's been through and how much time has passed since he was waylaid?

Again, thank you for all the updates frank. They are very uplifting to those of us who live out of state and can't make it up there to see him.

So does Babs know what happened to him yet? Does he comprehend all he's been through and how much time has passed since he was waylaid?

He has been told about his situation many times. A question that they ask him each day in speech therapy is "do you know why you're here?" His answer yesterday was, "because I'm sick as a dog." The therapist followed up with "what part of your body is sick." His reply to that was "my brain." They also asked him the date, which he wasn't so clear on.

In my opinion, he understands why he's in rehab, but I don't know if he fully grasps the concept of how long he's been out of commission.

He has been told about his situation many times. A question that they ask him each day in speech therapy is "do you know why you're here?" His answer yesterday was, "because I'm sick as a dog." The therapist followed up with "what part of your body is sick." His reply to that was "my brain." They also asked him the date, which he wasn't so clear on.

In my opinion, he understands why he's in rehab, but I don't know if he fully grasps the concept of how long he's been out of commission.
thanks

I wonder how he could grasp the time he's been out, what would help him realize it is 110+ days, over 3 months, almost 4 of this so far.

or do you really want him to think about that yet

JHC never mind about this wonderful, fantastic, exhilarating, exciting, positive development in babalu's recovery, Frank :cuss: :shake:

didn't he ask anything at all about ME??? :confused::shrug:

is he anxiously awaiting another uplifting visit? ROFL

RG, I wish that we could coordinate a visit; the two of us old farts would probably scare out of bed and cure him.:insane::party:

Great news. I wouldn't worry him with how long. He should only be concerned with getting well. Everything else will take care of itself. God Bless!

may I ask how your recovery is going?
It will be a while with more surgery but yesterday I walked for 2 minutes without a cane or walker. Not much but it is progress. I don't post much because I have no attention span with the medication they have me on. Glad to hear about Bab's progress and of course, prayers continue on a daily basis for him. Thanks to all for the prayers on my behalf, they have helped a great deal. Paul

Very positive news today. Sounds like Jeff is still on his way back to the surface, but he can now see some rays of light and we can all take comfort from those small, steady steps. Seems to me these last two weeks or so have actually exceeded that modest description and Spaulding has been good for him.

Great going to Jeff, his supporters and Taltos too.

Back