Dennis and Callahan are idiots!!!

BluVayner

Reaction score
Dennis and Callahan are babbling on and on about how Belichick got hosed in the Cassel trade, because the Broncos got so much more for Cutler.

What don't these two idiots understand about the economics of this? Cutler is tied up for 3 more years. Cutler's signing bonus has already been paid by the Broncos. He's on the books for just over one million dollars in salary this year. If he plays 70% of the snaps he gets another $5M. That's under $7M total, even if he plays every snap. If he gets hurt, he only costs you something under $2M.

Cassel is under a one year franchise tag deal at $16M. That money is 100% guaranteed. If he gets hurt, you still have to pay it. If you cut him, you still have to pay it.

Cassel becomes a free agent again at the end of this season. If you franchise him again, the tag price will be around $18M. If Cassel has a good year, the bidding for him as a free agent will be intense. It's going to cost you a bundle to re-sign him, and there is no guarantee that you won't lose him. If you want to sign him to a long term contract now, the starting point for talks will be at least $25M guaranteed in the first two years, otherwise why would Cassel sign it?

The reason that the Pats got less for Cassel is that most teams could not afford Cassel, or didn't want to take that big a chance on him. Most teams didn't even have the cap space to do the deal. Cutler's contract is a bargain by any standards.

I was thinking the same thing listening this morning, thankfully I got to work and didn't have to listen long.

I think you are spot on.

You listen to WEEI, and especially those idiots, at your own risk. Turn off idiot radio.

The ironic part about these two this morning...at least they were talking football today and not their usual political crap.

Touch 'em all Blue! You just hit it outta the park.

I'm amazed at how many folk think BB just lost it or mailed it in.

Initially I thought we'd get more too. But that was with the assumption the trading team would acquire Cassel WITH a long-term extension hammered out in principal. To get a pick 2 picks out of the 1st round is not bad.

I found it intersting that they played a cut from Schefter who said people have told him that they believe Cassel is the 5th to 8th best qb in the game..

I wonder who 'they' are?

Dennis and Callahan are babbling on and on about how Belichick got hosed in the Cassel trade, because the Broncos got so much more for Cutler.

What don't these two idiots understand about the economics of this? Cutler is tied up for 3 more years. Cutler's signing bonus has already been paid by the Broncos. He's on the books for just over one million dollars in salary this year. If he plays 70% of the snaps he gets another $5M. That's under $7M total, even if he plays every snap. If he gets hurt, he only costs you something under $2M.

Cassel is under a one year franchise tag deal at $16M. That money is 100% guaranteed. If he gets hurt, you still have to pay it. If you cut him, you still have to pay it.

Cassel becomes a free agent again at the end of this season. If you franchise him again, the tag price will be around $18M. If Cassel has a good year, the bidding for him as a free agent will be intense. It's going to cost you a bundle to re-sign him, and there is no guarantee that you won't lose him. If you want to sign him to a long term contract now, the starting point for talks will be at least $25M guaranteed in the first two years, otherwise why would Cassel sign it?

The reason that the Pats got less for Cassel is that most teams could not afford Cassel, or didn't want to take that big a chance on him. Most teams didn't even have the cap space to do the deal. Cutler's contract is a bargain by any standards.
no, no BV --- you don't understand :Lecture:

this Cutler trade was a perfect air-filling time opportunity for D&C to tweak the local football fanbase's nipples by engaging in controversial mindless BB bashing under the guise of their being sports experts while trying to put Friday's show behind them before they move onto the much more important beginning of the endless Red Sox season next Monday

then they will have the potential of 7 months /4 hours per day programming discussing such important topics as what kind of club does John Smoltz like to use in the light greenside rough to chip with when they play we're-best-buddies golf w/ him at Granite Links in Quincy :jester:

Two NFL trades, ignore the teams:

A QB, 2 1st round picks AND a 3rd round pick for a QB

A linebacker with one good year left and a QB for a 2nd round pick

One team got a better deal.

Cutler AND Cassel will BOTH have NEW contracts before the start of the 09 season

Two NFL trades, ignore the teams:

A QB, 2 1st round picks AND a 3rd round pick for a QB

A linebacker with one good year left and a QB for a 2nd round pick

One team got a better deal.

Cutler AND Cassel will BOTH have NEW contracts before the start of the 09 season

Would you rather have a 2nd round pick (34th overall, basically a 1st), fred taylor, leigh bodden, shawn springs, joey galloway, greg lewis, russ hochstein and james sanders or two first round picks who you will have to pay big money to.

1. Several teams were reportedly in the bidding for Cutler, one (and one late arrival) for Cassell
2. Cutler has 3 years left on his rookie deal, Cassell was a franchised free agent and was going to cost whomever got him at least $14 million (and they had to have the cap space to make the deal).
3. Cutler has been a starter for 3 years, Cassell one.
4. Cutler was a 1st round pick, Cassell a 7th
5. Cassell was surrounded by an offense that had broken tons of records the year before Cutler wasn't
6. D & C are pricks on multiple levels.
7. WEEI can kiss my hairy ass. This is why I stopped listening to the dickheads 5 years ago.
8. If everyone did what I did (changed the station) then WEEI would have to get it's act together.

While the Bronco's clearly cleaned up here, its important to keep in mind that not only did Cassell have the guarenteed 14 or 15 million 1-year deal weighting him down, he only played one season in the NFL with the best receiving core in the NFL.

While I still think we should of gotten a late round pick (6th or 7th would of been fine) for Vrable.. I think the Pats got the best offer they could for Cassell.

Man! I haven't been this excited for the draft since.. Well... Since last year, I guess. But It will be very interesting to see what the Pats and the Donks do with all of their first day picks. Can't wait!

I don't listen to those idiots, but if they are upset at Belichick, I'm sure they are somehow finding away to blame Obama...

I think there were at least five teams trying to get Cutler, I dont think teams were standing in line to get Cassel. BB did a great job getting what he could under the circumstances.

Would you rather have a 2nd round pick (34th overall, basically a 1st), fred taylor, leigh bodden, shawn springs, joey galloway, greg lewis, russ hochstein and james sanders or two first round picks who you will have to pay big money to.

I would rather have the two firsts and the 3rd AND a few of those players.
Only have to pay big money to ONE of the first round picks this year and the 18th pick isnt exactly going to break the bank.

How did Jarod Mayo work out?

finding away to blame Obama...

I think there were at least five teams trying to get Cutler, I dont think teams were standing in line to get Cassel. BB did a great job getting what he could under the circumstances.

Thats what they don't get, Belichick can't make other teams interested, they either are or they aren't..

If the only offer he had was the one he got what's he supossed to do??

I don't like Mike and Mike but I listen to them over D and C. Those douchewaffles are just acidic.

Thanks for making all of this clear. Like so many other things in sports (and politics), reactions are based on what is seen at the surface without ever bothering to understand what the substructure might be. Sure, the Bears gave up a lot for Cutler, but they also didn't take a lot on in terms of salary. If Cutler blows and Cassel continues to blossom, they'll be able to cut their losses and bid for him next year...as will the Donks and any other team that needs a QB.

I don't know what Vrable's cap hit was, but by moving Cassel the Pats cleared a large amount of cap space and are in a great position for the draft.

There is a limit to going along with whatever Bill Belichick says or does. I mean "pass the coolaid" is just a cute way of saying "the pats have won 3 sb's under belichick, so he's probably right about (fill in the blank-personnel moves, whatever)"

There is a bit of a cult following of Belichick. I know the majority of pats fans take things with a grain of salt, but I'm sure there must be people who would believe anything belichick does or says.

I mean, there are lemmings who would get in line with the other lemmings, and stand on the train tracks, or swim aimlessly into the ocean, if they thought Bill Belichick said it was the right thing to do.

I thought they should/would have gotten more for Cassel and Vrabel. I think almost everybody did/does. But then we have the chorus of rationalization, because we want to believe in our semi-newly found winning Patriots.

I found it intersting that they played a cut from Schefter who said people have told him that they believe Cassel is the 5th to 8th best qb in the game..

I wonder who 'they' are?

What those morons Dennis and Callahan failed to report was that Schefter also said the market for Cassel was limited based on his sources. Schefter went on to say that the GM's he spoke with viewed Cassel 's trade worth as a late 1st, or top of the 2nd. On top of that they don't even have the facts of three way Denver, Tampa, New England trade, right. First off Tampa never wanted Cassel, they wanted Cutler, second Denver was never offering anything but their 2nd for Cassel. The bottom line is these morons don't know what they are talking about if they think the Pats would have gotten the same kind of deal for Cassel. According to ESPN at least 6-10 teams made offers or kicked the tires on Cutler. With Cassel teams had nearly two weeks once Cassel signed his tender to work a deal with the Pats and only the Chiefs stepped to the plate.

1. Several teams were reportedly in the bidding for Cutler, one (and one late arrival) for Cassell
2. Cutler has 3 years left on his rookie deal, Cassell was a franchised free agent and was going to cost whomever got him at least $14 million (and they had to have the cap space to make the deal).
3. Cutler has been a starter for 3 years, Cassell one.
4. Cutler was a 1st round pick, Cassell a 7th
5. Cassell was surrounded by an offense that had broken tons of records the year before Cutler wasn't
6. D & C are pricks on multiple levels.
7. WEEI can kiss my hairy ass. This is why I stopped listening to the dickheads 5 years ago.
8. If everyone did what I did (changed the station) then WEEI would have to get it's act together.

I was going to reply but that about sums it up. If someone can point to the line of teams offering 2 firsts and a player for cassel, let me know. I am pretty sure BB could not hold a team at gun point and demand 2 firsts and a player or else.

Back