Eli Benched

I'm no fan of Eli's, but, in all honesty, I think this is disgraceful. Whatever he is or isn't, he is a 2x SB champion. They weren't going anywhere this year, so let him finish out the season instead of shaming him.

Just my opinion.

He was super classy about it too. They offered to let him start and then get pulled to keep the streak alive. He declined.

Meanwhile, in Jacksonville....

I pretty much agree it's a raw deal for Manning. He's a vet and not a diva at all and has earned some measure of respect. The Giants season is toast so not sure what's to be gained with a QB change at this point. It would almost be more respectful to release him, honestly, and someone would pick him up in a hurry.

OTOH generally enjoying the Giants meltdown, and I'm sure Coughlin is.

Better draft pick...

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Good. Screw him.

"Waaa! If I have to play for the Chargers, I won't play at all! My daddy said I don't have to! Waaa!"

He was too good to play for the 4-12 Chargers. I laugh at his sorry ass for not being good enough to play for the 2-9 Giants. He was benched after his first start and benched after his last.

Also, fvck him.

This.

He would fit right in with Elway...

I'm no fan of Eli's, but, in all honesty, I think this is disgraceful. Whatever he is or isn't, he is a 2x SB champion. They weren't going anywhere this year, so let him finish out the season instead of shaming him.

Just my opinion.

He's thrown for more yards this season than Cam Newton or Dak Prescott. His QB rating is better than Newton's or Joe Flacco's. He's thrown 14 TDs and 7 INTs, which is a better ratio than Rapistberger (20/12) or Prescott or Newman. And he's done this on an absolute POS team. I was never a fan of Eli's, and his two SB wins over the Pats were purely based on luck, but Eli is not the problem on the Giants and didn't deserve to be benched. If anything, he's the one thing they probably should've kept, and gotten rid of a bunch of other players as well as the coaching staff. Scapegoat.

It left out the obvious.

Draft position.

Right now they have the 3rd pick.

If they win one more they would fall at least to 4th and possibly 5th (not sure how the tiebreakers work out with Chicago, they beat Denver so lose that tiebreaker).

If SF wins one more, they move up to #2.

So benching Eli improves their chances of ending the season with 2 wins, and maximizing their odds for as high a draft pick as possible.

If they have decided to move on from him, benching him maximizes their draft position potential.

It's mercenary, but logical.

Except that Geno may give them a better chance to win.

Geno Smith.....I remember a few years back, in a Jets-Patriots game, Dan Dierdork spent the game trying to tell everyone how good Geno Smith was and what a great QB he was going to be ROFL

Good. Screw him.

"Waaa! If I have to play for the Chargers, I won't play at all! My daddy said I don't have to! Waaa!"

He was too good to play for the 4-12 Chargers. I laugh at his sorry ass for not being good enough to play for the 2-9 Giants. He was benched after his first start and benched after his last.

Also, fvck him.

Was that not because old man Archie didn't want them to be on the same conference so they wouldn't meet in the playoffs unless it was the Super Bowl. Not that it mattered, PeyPey was a serial choker after all

Was that not because old man Archie didn't want them to be on the same conference so they wouldn't meet in the playoffs unless it was the Super Bowl. Not that it mattered, PeyPey was a serial choker after all

Eli didn't want to play for a loser like his dad did for all those years in New Orleans. Basically same schtick Elway pulled with Baltimore. Plus, Eli really wanted to play in NY and the Giants wanted him. As understated as Eli is, he was a good fit for the big apple. He had a great career there too so in the end he probably made the right decision. And he will always be remembered as the more clutch post-season player than big bro. lol

That being said, the Giants are getting HAMMERED for benching him by the media and former Giants players/coaches. Even Coughlin weighed in saying he was disgusted by the decision. It has been glorious reading this morning over a cup of coffee.

Who got benched for Geno Smith?

DPwAq2oW4AMOh-h.jpg

Good. Screw him.

Also, fvck him.
That's a bit harsh. If you were offered a job or a transfer that you didn't want and you turned it down, would that make you a whiner or a baby? Everybody has the right to try to get the job they want.

I would understand this move if the plan was to give a young backup experience going into next season, but for Geno Smith? Whats the point?

Are they purposely going to tank to improve their draft position? There’s no other explanation.

That's a bit harsh. If you were offered a job or a transfer that you didn't want and you turned it down, would that make you a whiner or a baby? Everybody has the right to try to get the job they want.

Everyone knows the rules of the NFL draft. The top prospects go to the worse teams. Eli felt those rules didn't apply him but then again that is generally the mindset of the first family of football.

Everyone knows the rules of the NFL draft. The top prospects go to the worse teams. Eli felt those rules didn't apply him but then again that is generally the mindset of the first family of football.

If you have leverage and use it, whatever, I am not going to get fired up about it 13 years later. He won 2 SBs so it obviously worked out for him.

If I were a QB coming out this year you can bet I'd be trying to come up with any strategy I could to stay the hell out of Cleveland.

If you have leverage and use it, whatever, I am not going to get fired up about it 13 years later. He won 2 SBs so it obviously worked out for him.

If I were a QB coming out this year you can bet I'd be trying to come up with any strategy I could to stay the hell out of Cleveland.

Cleveland had the 1st overall pick last year, and didn't pick a QB with it.

What makes you think they'll do something different this year?

Part of the plan was for Eli to start and play the first half and sit the second half. I doubt Eli would've survived Michigan like Brady did by playing a quarter and Henson the other quarter. Then the coach would decide who started the second half. :dith:

I would understand this move if the plan was to give a young backup experience going into next season, but for Geno Smith? Whats the point?

this^^^

The fact that Geno Smith can't play at this level is already established.

Just my opinion.
I hate Eli but it is, time to tank it and Eli will not do that, he plays hard.

Honestly it's my opinion, too. McAdoo is taking a huge risk with this move unless it was Mara's idea to begin with. I wonder how the locker room is reacting.
I feel it is better for him, they are not going to put him in position to win, ride some pine while your replacement sucks making your stats look better and move on to Denver.

I pretty much agree it's a raw deal for Manning. He's a vet and not a diva at all and has earned some measure of respect. The Giants season is toast so not sure what's to be gained with a QB change at this point. It would almost be more respectful to release him, honestly, and someone would pick him up in a hurry.

OTOH generally enjoying the Giants meltdown, and I'm sure Coughlin is.
Eli will not tank it, it is a smart move for the franchise.

IF I was one of only 256 offered a chance at a job and out of that maybe 1 in 12 that are offered to play QB, I would be Dam happy to be chosen and given a shot, especially at the pay rate he was offered.

I hate Eli, but I rather see him ride the pine than risk injury because the play calling is setting him up for failure. Giants need to lose, Eli hurts the chances of them losing despite all the losing he has done. I am glad he chose not to play and be replaced on series in, that would diminish what he has accomplished with his streak.

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

Pencil Eli in with Jacksonville next year.
good choice but I want him to retire.

Pencil Eli in with Jacksonville next year.

I see them being more interested in Cousins. He's the only reason the Redskins are even remotely still in the chase at this point.

edit: used the phrase 'at this point' twice in the same post

And if Eli agrees to waive his no-trade clause, then the Giants can pick up even more (players and/or draft choices) to begin the re-build process.

I think getting Elway and some other chumps in a bidding war would net the Giants a pretty good haul.

If I'm Eli, I would waive the trade clause only if I can pick the team where I'm landing. IMO, Eli has all the leverage. A reunion with Coughlin in sunny Jacksonville for the last couple of years of his career is my best guess.

Back