Enbracing the suck

My first season with season tickets was 1992, 2-14. I was back in my seat the following season and every season since. This dip in performance will not change that going forward.
I got my seats right after that season. Probably the best investment decision I've ever made. :cool: I'm not planning on jumping ship either, but the last 2 ballgames were Rod Rust bad, Marc Wilson bad, Victor Kiam bad ... 1-15 bad. Even the Brady teams got blown out every once in a while, but never twice in a row. Injuries and lack of top level talent alone do not excuse these performances. Even Dick MacPherson's teams were more competitive than what we've just witnessed.

Kraft is a proud man. I think he can live with 2000 (5 wins) bad or even 1995 (6 wins) bad. There was a sense those years that the Pats were building towards something new and possibly better (in fact, we went to the Super Bowl the following years). If we tank to "Rod Rust bad" and the Pats become the league's laughingstock, I think there will be wholesale changes at key positions - players and coaches - and possibly before the year's end. Kraft's a business man as well: he knows damn well no one's going to pay to watch that farce for very long either, regardless of the hardware in the trophy case.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel quite yet that they can't become competitive at some point this season, but the Saints blowout is making me question this team's fortitude. I also cannot ignore the slow starts, penalties, mental errors, situational miscues, turnovers and communication issues of the last few SEASONS. They better bring it this weekend, or the barbarians, unlike anything BB's witnessed since Cleveland, will be at the gate.

Ever since the change in uniforms the downhill spiral started. Not only are they unattractive, they have loser written all over them.
Maybe they did it to sell merchandise but no one wants to buy merchandise of a team that sucks.

I got my seats right after that season. Probably the best investment decision I've ever made. :cool: I'm not planning on jumping ship either, but the last 2 ballgames were Rod Rust bad, Marc Wilson bad, Victor Kiam bad ... 1-15 bad. Even the Brady teams got blown out every once in a while, but never twice in a row. Injuries and lack of top level talent alone do not excuse these performances. Even Dick MacPherson's teams were more competitive than what we've just witnessed.

Kraft is a proud man. I think he can live with 2000 (5 wins) bad or even 1995 (6 wins) bad. There was a sense those years that the Pats were building towards something new and possibly better (in fact, we went to the Super Bowl the following years). If we tank to "Rod Rust bad" and the Pats become the league's laughingstock, I think there will be wholesale changes at key positions - players and coaches - and possibly before the year's end. Kraft's a business man as well: he knows damn well no one's going to pay to watch that farce for very long either, regardless of the hardware in the trophy case.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel quite yet that they can't become competitive at some point this season, but the Saints blowout is making me question this team's fortitude. I also cannot ignore the slow starts, penalties, mental errors, situational miscues, turnovers and communication issues of the last few SEASONS. They better bring it this weekend, or the barbarians, unlike anything BB's witnessed since Cleveland, will be at the gate.
we're not Cowboys fans

exactly...one of THE defining moments in futility
I don't see how a Super Bowl appearance defines futility. Sure, they got their ass kicked, but they got super fortunate to get there, with some timely team-based play.

When I was five years old, I was actually a Dallas Cowboys fan because Roger Staubach was my idol. He was a well-known face with Anderson little clothing commercials. Then the New England Patriots became relevant around 1976 and my dad was super excited about the patriots… I had no idea who are the New England Patriots were when I was until I was about eight years old. That’s how irrelevant they were back then. I started becoming really serious about football in the late 70s and I was also impressed with Lynn Swann and I used to mimic the way he caught a football. I just had a large appreciation for great talent. But my heart started growing big for our beloved hometown team the New England Patriots and nothing excited me more when we beat the Miami curse to get to the Super Bowl in 1985. I was so dedicated to my team even though they might only win one game, but I still never missed a game.

I was so excited when Bob Kraft hired Bill Parcells because I understood there was a hell of a coach and I admire the New York Giants in the 1980s. I used to watch the patriots at 1 o’clock and then the New York giants will come on channel 3 Connecticut at 4 o’clock, and I used to sit there watching Lawrence Taylor in amazement. I knew Bill Parcells would turn this franchise around and he did just that. However, I was devastated the way he acted on his way out in 1996 and I still haven’t forgave him for that.

Just when I thought the Patriots were gonna be relevant we ended up preemie Pete Carroll…. Then finally, Bill Belichick came in drafted Tom Brady, and the rest is history and for that I will be eternally grateful… I don’t care if we ever win another game, because I will always look back at those six Super Bowls.

Last edited:
Not much choice for us, but if o have to embrace the suck, let go all the way. I know Bill won't actively tank, but with the roster he's assembled I think that might be the inevitable outcome. Yet I fear the coach being able to pull out a couple games for pride that will take us out of position for a top 5 pick and that would really suck.
I'll just throw this theory out there, even though I don't believe it. BB saw the schedule this year, knew was a lost cause, saw Caleb/Maye as a real possibility, put together an awful roster. You can tank without looking like you're tanking. It's the only explanation I can come up with as a reason for this roster. Kraft and BB are in cahoots, laughing at the media who are so sure BB would never tank. Mac's career is ruined in the process, but hey, that's collateral damage, got to do what is best for the team as BB always says. This is also why Boutte was really benched, kid was getting open, can't have that!

You may say, but if the defense were healthy they would be good on that side of the ball. True, but that was just to keep games close to look less tanky. Rodgers potentially screwed up their plans by getting injured, but it shouldn't make a difference in the end.

I'll just throw this theory out there, even though I don't believe it. BB saw the schedule this year, knew was a lost cause, saw Caleb/Maye as a real possibility, put together an awful roster. You can tank without looking like you're tanking. It's the only explanation I can come up with as a reason for this roster. Kraft and BB are in cahoots, laughing at the media who are so sure BB would never tank. Mac's career is ruined in the process, but hey, that's collateral damage, got to do what is best for the team as BB always says. This is also why Boutte was really benched, kid was getting open, can't have that!

You may say, but if the defense were healthy they would be good on that side of the ball. True, but that was just to keep games close to look less tanky. Rodgers potentially screwed up their plans by getting injured, but it shouldn't make a difference in the end.
Stop copying me bruh… :coffee:

I just don't believe it, sadly if you put the fan goggles away and go back 4 years, you can track each and every devastating decision Bill has made in building this roster and its obvious why we are where we are.

On the really bright side the ticket prices for the commanders game in early November have dropped down to $84! The best thing about sucking is cheaper ticket prices!

I don't see how a Super Bowl appearance defines futility. Sure, they got their ass kicked, but they got super fortunate to get there, with some timely team-based play.
good point, sometimes frustration kicks in and you misremember things. The SB that year was anti-climactic considering they won 3 road games to get there, including wins in Miami and Oakland which were both firsts for the franchise.

I just don't believe it, sadly if you put the fan goggles away and go back 4 years, you can track each and every devastating decision Bill has made in building this roster and its obvious why we are where we are.
I guess you can argue he's been tanking since Brady left. How else do you explain drafting a late 2nd day Guard in the 1st round? Are people still trying to justify that pick? :ROFLMAO:

I guess you can argue he's been tanking since Brady left. How else do you explain drafting a late 2nd day Guard in the 1st round? Are people still trying to justify that pick? :ROFLMAO:
People with a lot more football knowledge than you and I think he was a good pic. Now, are you suggesting that Bill Belichick hired Tonya Harding's boyfriend, who capped Cole Stange in the parking lot on the knee? Are you suggesting that Bill knew he would be injured in training camp?

Again, far more football knowledge than you and I.

Flying Elvis >>>>> Pat Patriot
No....f'n....way

Pat Patriot were one of the best looking uni's in the NFL, Flying Elvis just looks like a boring corporate image. Hated the change back then and it never grew on me, and the colors suck. Guys like Tippett and Hannah looked downright menacing in the red and white. Look at Big Vince in Pat Patriot, he looks like he wants to each your children, in the Flying Elvis he looks like a huggable teddy bear.

1697119818953.png

Pat Patriot with the blue jerseys would be nice. I recall when the color change was announced back in '93, one of the primary reasons was that the Continental Army wore blue while the British oppressors wore red. I can get down with that logic.

Back