Kline traded to Eagles

I guess I'm in a minority, but I like giving up an older utility OLinesman for a proven quality CB, especially a CB on his rookie deal with only one year used up.

Kline wasn't going to play on Sunday. Rowe just supplanted Coleman as our nickle back.

We didn't we gave up Kline and a 4th rounder

I'm wrong a lot but I think we'll try him at S first. I really think this move is about next year as opposed to this year. Not that he won't play, contribute but I see this as insurance for next year's potential departures of Harmon and Ryan. Both of whom will probably surprise people with what they get on the open market.

Bill gave up a lot for him which means he wanted Rowe bad at some point. Probably knew he'd be gone this week and felt a lot better with Cooper coming back.

Doug Kyed @DougKyed Sounds like the Patriots might want to move Eric Rowe to safety. If it doesn't work out, he can still provide size at CB through 2018.
<time class="dt-updated" datetime="2016-09-06T16:33:28+0000" pubdate="" title="Time posted: 06 Sep 2016, 16:33:28 (UTC)">10:33 AM - 6 Sep 2016</time>

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Jonathan Cooper says he's ready for season after summer of rehab and trade on Josh Kline.
Crrya2HW8AA_Etl.jpg

I think what Rowe is going to do is give BB insurance for a potential Logan Ryan departure next summer. If the kid can play, Ryan can cash in elsewhere and his replacement will already be in the system.

We didn't we gave up Kline and a 4th rounder
That's what I said. And it was well worth it. Kline wasn't going to play on SUnday. Rowe at worst will be our nickle back, but probably will start next to Butler. He's 6'2" tall. Standing with our CBs, he'll look like Gronk next to Edelman and Amendola.

He was a second round pick a lot of us wanted last year. We have him for the last three years of his rookie deal at rookie salary. He can line up against tall WRs.

Or there's Kline.

What's not to like?

The only thing that gets me about the details is it is a 2018 4th rounder. Since the Pats do not have a 2017 4th rounder, that makes me think the Pats are giving the pick and Kline for Rowe

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/esf2liXA4DU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/esf2liXA4DU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Sigmund Bloom ‏<s>@</s>SigmundBloom <small class="time">https://twitter.com/SigmundBloom/status/773186822595719169 </small> Of course Patriots swoop in to get undervalued talent when original team is giving up on them. Unbelievable

Bloom is owner of footballguys.com

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Thuney is the starting LG. Cooper could be it, if he didn't beat out mason for the RG spot .

Cooper is cleared to play.

Was Kline all that great? Not imo...

Great question.

It seems like whenever I happened to watch Kline I would see something like-- him being unable to get any push on a defender, getting stuffed into the backfield, shed easily and discarded, falling down after failing to land his block in space, getting flagged or giving up a pressure and/or sack. Kline is a smallish OL who is not particularly quick nor exceptionally tough.

I think he is completely helpless and not physical enough for the NFL but some media folks started saying last year that he was our "best" OL and I heard that same thing a week or so ago, so......some people liked him. I just can't figure out how that opinion was formulated.

In any case, I'm happy to see him somewhere else.

Sometimes subtraction becomes addition, but I wouldn't expect that conditional draft pick to improve based on his contributions to the Eagles offense.

Hawg, I agree, Kline was a try hard guy who got the most out of his limited UDFA talent. He couldn't move anybody in the run game either.

Rowe's CBS Scouting report
6'1" 205 and has straight line speed speed to spare. Too bad he can't catch the ball. He should become a STs ace quickly.
<section class="feature mBottomStd"> <header>Player Overview

</header> A three-year starter and all-conference pick at free safety, Rowe made the transition to cornerback in 2014 to help the Utes recover from the loss of Keith McGill (a fourth-round pick by the Oakland Raiders). Rowe demonstrated the awareness and physicality that could earn him an even higher selection in 2015. Rowe's length, broad-shouldered frame and straight-line speed (Utah coaches reportedly clocked him at 4.39 seconds in the 40-yard dash) make him an intriguing prospect regardless of where he ultimately lines up. He's a heady, physical defender who is well-versed in pro-style schemes given Utah's heavy man coverage philosophy, and has proven a standout since first stepping onto campus.
Rowe recorded 69 tackles and nine pass breakups while starting all 13 games (10 at free safety, three at strong safety) as a true freshman in 2011, earning Freshman All-American honors by several publications. Rowe earned Second Team All-Pac-12 honors in 2014 at cornerback, registering 57 tackles and 13 passes broken up in just 11 regular-season games.
Rowe shows good balance, a functional turning motion and steady acceleration in coverage. He's alert to come up in run support and against underneath routes and breaks down well to make the efficient open-field tackle. Rowe is poised in coverage but he's not a ball-hawk. Of his 34 career passes broken up, he only intercepted three passes.
</section> <section class="feature mBottomStd"> <header>Strengths Weaknesses

</header> STRENGTHS: Possesses a legitimate NFL frame with good height, broad shoulders and a tapered, well-defined musculature. Uses his length and physicality to harass receivers at the line of scrimmage and throughout the route. Extends an arm to jam opponents and disrupt timing. Good balance and coordination to turn and run, showing steady acceleration and at least functional straight-line speed to remain at cornerback. Good hand-eye coordination to disrupt passes at the catch-point, showing no panic when the ball is in the air and the strength to rip it out of the hands of receivers as they attempt to secure the catch.
Aggressive in run support. Fights through would-be blockers, including offensive linemen. Physical tackler who lowers his shoulder and drives through ballcarriers.
Good awareness and aggression on special teams. Blocked a kick in 2014 and is a cognizant, physical blocker on the return unit.
WEAKNESSES: May project better to the NFL back at safety than at cornerback. Like many taller corners, Rowe has a slight hitch in his transition, leaving him vulnerable to double-moves. He rides the receiver throughout the route and too often extends his arms to limit their movement.
Does not possess ideal hands, dropping several potential interceptions on tape.
--Rob Rang
</section>
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1825060/eric-rowe

Back