Looking at the Patriots - 2019

watson can catch but would Dwayne Allen's blocking be a better fit to help the LT

Isn't Allen playing for another team now? Or was he injured in preseason too? I can't recall and am too lazy to look up.

Looks like he’s a free agent.
Shouldn’t he be signed today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes if he's been keeping himself in shape that would be a good move. He already knows much of the system. He seems to be needed.

Looks like he’s a free agent.
Shouldn’t he be signed today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not sure if he's healthy, he was released by Miami before the season while recovering from a knee injury.

Isn't Allen playing for another team now? Or was he injured in preseason too? I can't recall and am too lazy to look up.

Dolphins cut him a few months ago...I think?

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Not sure if he's healthy, he was released by Miami before the season while recovering from a knee injury.

He got an injury settlement...like you said, not sure if he's healthy.

Just from my own eyes, I think he’d have come in if the game was on the line. But he’s like the WR version of Sony. Inefficient as hell. I guess like running up the middle for 0 yards frees up a play action once a half, all those targets to Gordon allow dorrset, or eddleman, or white to convert a third. I think the I’m catching on to McDaniels strategy. Sorry I’m feeling pretty jaded watching the offense against these bottom of the barrel teams. It’s gonna take some time to adjust to this being a team that wins with defense. Not that I mind that. I think it’s good. Still I gotta wrap my head around it and not be so negative.

Just from my own eyes, I think he’d have come in if the game was on the line. But he’s like the WR version of Sony. Inefficient as hell. I guess like running up the middle for 0 yards frees up a play action once a half, all those targets to Gordon allow dorrset, or eddleman, or white to convert a third. I think the I’m catching on to McDaniels strategy. Sorry I’m feeling pretty jaded watching the offense against these bottom of the barrel teams. It’s gonna take some time to adjust to this being a team that wins with defense. Not that I mind that. I think it’s good. Still I gotta wrap my head around it and not be so negative.

Well, that's just not true, the pats are winning with both sides of the ball, so you can stop acting like we are scoring 10 ppg.
The top 5 defenses in the league in yards allowed are Pats, niners, Bills, Jets, and Vikings. One of those teams are winless, guess why? The offense came out in the second half and gutted out a damn good half with undrafted rookies playing wideout. The Patriots are literally averaging more points per game than the freaking chiefs. They have injuries, these injuries will heal, the defense does not. As far as who we played, the pats offense has faced the 21st average D in ppg, the defense has faced the 25th average offense in ppg, so use those excuses both ways.

In a few weeks they go to Baltimore, have a bye, then at philly. Those two games will tell us a lot about this team.

I dunno maybe they are winning on both sides of the ball. The def sure is. But the offense looks like Stallone in cliffhanger. Yeah he wins but it damn sure doesn’t feel like it watching it happen. I’m just saying against a good team these problems will catch up to them. I’m not trying to be negative, but in the playoffs they won’t be facing an injured Big Ben, Fitzturnover, whatever backup the jets threw in, Colt in his first game back off an injury with no practice, and a rookie.

In a few weeks they go to Baltimore, have a bye, then at philly. Those two games will tell us a lot about this team.

I dunno maybe they are winning on both sides of the ball. The def sure is. But the offense looks like Stallone in cliffhanger. Yeah he wins but it damn sure doesn’t feel like it watching it happen. I’m just saying against a good team these problems will catch up to them. I’m not trying to be negative, but in the playoffs they won’t be facing an injured Big Ben, Fitzturnover, whatever backup the jets threw in, Colt in his first game back off an injury with no practice, and a rookie.
No, but we go through this every year. The December-January Pats are not the September-November Pats.

Remember when Gilmore came here? We spent the first half of the year bitching about him because he sucked so bad. Worst BB signing ever. Turned out it takes a while for a player to meld with the team, though it takes us less than a year to forget it. Every year.

They're 6-0 and if you check the stats, you'll find they rank high in offensive scoring.

But the offense looks like Stallone in cliffhanger. Yeah he wins but it damn sure doesn’t feel like it watching it happen.
:D True enough, but again, remember the 2001 season. Every game after week 10 seemed to go down to the wire, and did any of us really think the Pats would beat the Raiders, Steelers, and Rams and win the Superbowl?

There's a reason why the Atlanta superbowl is my favorite.

No, but we go through this every year. The December-January Pats are not the September-November Pats.

Remember when Gilmore came here? We spent the first half of the year bitching about him because he sucked so bad. Worst BB signing ever. Turned out it takes a while for a player to meld with the team, though it takes us less than a year to forget it. Every year.

They're 6-0 and if you check the stats, you'll find they rank high in offensive scoring.

:
Gee.. let's check the stats against the 5 of 6 opponents with combined record of 3-21.. those ranking stats will mean a lot...

Sitting at Gillette Thursday night all I could think about was that everybody would be bitching about the offense and I'm not worried about a thing.

Injuries. That's it.

We aren't going to be able to bring in anybody that can make a significant difference in the short term and won't get Gronk back for another month, so we're going to instead watch what always happens and guys like Izzo, LaCosse, Karras and Jakob Johnson are going to have to improve as the season progresses and we'll hopefully be able to sit Newhouse down for Isiah Wynn in a few weeks which will make a big difference. I don't think we can ask for improvement as far as Newhouse goes. We've got to get a better LT in there asap.

Gordon is a slowed-down version with the knee thing and Dorsett will be back. Edelman is still Edelman. Jakoby Meyers made some big catches Thursday and will get more touches moving forward. Gunnar got way more action at WR than he has and chipped in with a couple of catches. We don't have to scare anybody, we just have to beat them. I really think he's going to start having an impact.

McDaniels never, ever empties the playbook during the regular season. Believe it or don't, but right now he's in the middle of vanilla mode, we're 6-0 and that ain't bad.

Sitting at Gillette Thursday night all I could think about was that everybody would be bitching about the offense and I'm not worried about a thing.

Injuries. That's it.

We aren't going to be able to bring in anybody that can make a significant difference in the short term and won't get Gronk back for another month, so we're going to instead watch what always happens and guys like Izzo, LaCosse, Karras and Jakob Johnson are going to have to improve as the season progresses and we'll hopefully be able to sit Newhouse down for Isiah Wynn in a few weeks which will make a big difference. I don't think we can ask for improvement as far as Newhouse goes. We've got to get a better LT in there asap.

Gordon is a slowed-down version with the knee thing and Dorsett will be back. Edelman is still Edelman. Jakoby Meyers made some big catches Thursday and will get more touches moving forward. Gunnar got way more action at WR than he has and chipped in with a couple of catches. We don't have to scare anybody, we just have to beat them. I really think he's going to start having an impact.

McDaniels never, ever empties the playbook during the regular season. Believe it or don't, but right now he's in the middle of vanilla mode, we're 6-0 and that ain't bad.

A very positive take. Kudos.

I disagree a bit though.

This is a championship level D and STs.

Offense? Not really. Don’t buy the current rankings. The only team we beat of playoff caliber is Buffalo. I didn’t realize until seeing the rankings yesterday how inept the Giants D is. And we struggled.

Wynn will help a lot - if he can ever manage to stay healthy. JimmyG is Cal Ripken to this guy. Develin with a neck is not likely to help this year imo. We just lost the backup FB. N’Keal? Who the Fvck knows? Major disappointment. Gronk? I hope but.... not sure. He sure doesn’t seem made for tv, and clearly left the door ajar.

They need more.

Another weapon for Tom.

There is 1 move imo that makes sense. For both teams. And Tom would be ecstatic.

Larry Fitz.

Why linger in AZ hell? Come to Foxboro. Win a ring. See what it’s like on the mountain top. Those 2 would be a match like AB was supposed to be, minus all the drama.

Do you potentially mortgage the near future ( next years pick and cap) for Lombardi 7?

Injuries. That's it.

Ahhh yesssss... McD and Bill are putting out our vanilla favorite Ben and Jerry's on top of coolades apple pie from fresh Vermont apples. Its so yummy except really are you going to hold back a creative offense and cause your hof QB to blow a gasket in the process. Of course tom is quite composed... but creativity means you can go back to 1954 if you want. Seriously putting a boring (to put it nicely) product out there week to week cuz yur saving best plays is just dumb and bad for business.

For example .. hand off to Michel.. 1 yard. Vs. Reverse to Meyers 1 yard

What is accomplished? The more dramatic play attacks the perimeter and helps get defense backed up. (and off Brady's back ) . Which is a good thing...:clap:wuv

The point about the intentional vanilla boring offense theory does hold some validity in that we know Belichick is just about winning and he doesn't care what it looks like. The product on the field is aesthetic only in it's execution of producing a higher score than the opponent. If you take this theory thru the game , scoring by the defense and special teams means you really don't need offense in that game except to use up clock.. right?

But we also see Belichick throwing the ball with a lead many times and the comments are why is Brady still out there throwing ..? My theory on that is reps. The opportunity is there to get reps against opponents to see what your offense can do or get comfortable doing.

I can relate to this to an extent . So the vanilla is not a reason the offense is sputtering. It's the plays are not working either by design, recognition by the defense or personnel just sucking. .

So it does come back around to what the hell are you doing out there MCD? It's week 7 almost halfway through the season. There should be some familiarity with your players and expertise in plays that will work. Don't just spit out the same stuff as last year cuz it worked then. No it's a different year , different players and you need an enhanced scheme. Get after it.

Yup. They may as well bring Johnny Foxboro to play on the Thursday Night games, because they're running Foxboro High's offense then, and have been for years.

Vanilla is great for apple pie in the fall. But its getting colder so they better start offense moving the ball. .. Cuz in a few weeks its 5games straight against winning teams which will stress out the vanilla and make it taste kinda like a manila folder ��.

Back