Other Teams' Fans

Uh, because that's not what the term "fair weather fan" means? I thought that it meant someone who only supports the team when it's doing well.

So the term "homer", as used, means mind numb robot who cannot think for themselves and will blindly agree with whatever the team does.

But yet those who take great joy in being critical without even thinking the situation through can't be said to be fair weather fans?

Example: 4th and 2. BB figured that they could make it and win the game and if not he figured his defense could hold them to a field goal. But some fans had to pounce like snakes and call him an idiot or worse.

BTW, I think they should have punted and did at the time. Yet I understood the thinking behind the call and gave him the benefit of the doubt. if that make me a homer I'm OK with that. I'd rather be that way than disloyal to a fault.

So the term "homer", as used, means mind numb robot who cannot think for themselves and will blindly agree with whatever the team does.

But yet those who take great joy in being critical without even thinking the situation through can't be said to be fair weather fans?

Example: 4th and 2. BB figured that they could make it and win the game and if not he figured his defense could hold them to a field goal. But some fans had to pounce like snakes and call him an idiot or worse.

BTW, I think they should have punted and did at the time. Yet I understood the thinking behind the call and gave him the benefit of the doubt. if that make me a homer I'm OK with that. I'd rather be that way than disloyal to a fault.

I am in the same position you are man. I try to find good in what the team does even in bad times. I try not to blast the team when they are not always winning superbowls. I was just trying to I guess come up with a better term than fairweather fan.

Here are my two cents.

• A "homer" is someone who views the world through glasses colored with their favorite team's colors. There are varying degrees of homer, from those who find no fault in their team at all to those who find fault in their team but don't see how their team or a specific player is doing the very same thing another team or player is doing...that somehow it is different. "Homer" typically manifests itself via hypocrisy.
  • "Fair weather fan" is nothing like a "homer." A fair weather fan is just someone who is present to enjoy the good times, but absent to avoid the bad ones. Fair weather fans don't have the emotional investment of what I call "true fans" (look out... new term!), they're just along for the ride and the parties.

Here are my two cents.

• A "homer" is someone who views the world through glasses colored with their favorite team's colors. There are varying degrees of homer, from those who find no fault in their team at all to those who find fault in their team but don't see how their team or a specific player is doing the very same thing another team or player is doing...that somehow it is different. "Homer" typically manifests itself via hypocrisy.
  • "Fair weather fan" is nothing like a "homer." A fair weather fan is just someone who is present to enjoy the good times, but absent to avoid the bad ones. Fair weather fans don't have the emotional investment of what I call "true fans" (look out... new term!), they're just along for the ride and the parties.

I am not sure anyone finds just no fault at all in their teams, maybe some do not express it on a board, but I am sure all of us have yelled at our TV and swore the sames of every player at one point or another. How someone is on a board like this varies. Some do not go out of their way to bash every part of the team, some will bitch about the team no matter how good they do, and then there is me, who love being 10-6 being called a bad season much more than being 1-15 and hoping we can get a QB someday.

Here are my two cents.

I have no problem being critical of my team when it is justified. Prior to this current era there was plenty of things to justify that.

However there has now been 4 trips to the SB and 3 championships given to us by the current leadership. I think they have earned the benefit of the doubt. Again I found the reaction by some of these fans to the 4th and 2 call to be repulsive.

So how should those "fans" who go off on every time a game does not go their way be referred to? Maybe spoiled brats and not fair weather fans?

I would like to think that had BB pulled what Polian pulled this year in the Jets game that I would have been critical of that move. But I would not have compared him to a blubbering idiot.

I have no problem being critical of my team when it is justified. Prior to this current era there was plenty of things to justify that.

However there has now been 4 trips to the SB and 3 championships given to us by the current leadership. I think they have earned the benefit of the doubt. Again I found the reaction by some of these fans to the 4th and 2 call to be repulsive.

So how should those "fans" who go off on every time a game does not go their way be referred to? Maybe spoiled brats and not fair weather fans?

I would like to think that had BB pulled what Polian pulled this year in the Jets game that I would have been critical of that move. But I would not have compared him to a blubbering idiot.

"Spoiled" is most certainly a reality, though I say that spoiled fans lack a sense of history. They are either young, immature, fair weather, or some other adjective I can't think of, or some sort of combination.

"Spoiled" is most certainly a reality, though I say that spoiled fans lack a sense of history. They are either young, immature, fair weather, or some other adjective I can't think of, or some sort of combination.
I recall the 1-15 season I am assuming you mean something like this or along those lines of fans like that

Here are my two cents.

How about the logical, objective fan? :shrug:

Count me in as this...

shall I say he is .....enticed at times

that said he as well as others need to learn to walk away...it is tough to do

Yeah sometimes.

I've had my share of flip outs so I know what ure saying.

129164471202435208.gif

Ok my final comment on this unless I have another.

If it is OK to say really devoted fans are "homers", why is it not OK to say those who are overly critical "fair weather fans"? Just try to say someone is a fair weather fan and they go balistic, while we are just suppose to sit back and be called homers when we disagree with overly critical fans.

I guess its how you term it. I guess I, in my rants called trollbaiters homers. To me they are the same thing.

A trollbaiter is a poster who will troll so hard for the home team that usually respectful posters from other teams turn hostile because of this attack. I am as big a Pats fan as there is., yet I will and do offer constructive criticism. I am not that kind of fan who will wear my hat and shirt colors like a gang member. That kind of behavior was never supported here in the past, and as far as I am concerned, its not only blasphemic its obscene. More obscene than any image of titties a poster could offer. As was demonstrated in many a hijack here. Again, it was on purpose.

If anyone had any doubts whatsoever it wasn't for a purpose and point, read UT's thread and the responses....

On a side note, I want to give total props to DS. He had gone down that road, and got some stuff for it. He got called on it, read about the history, and stopped being the wrong kind of poster. The flame wars with BOU stopped, and his infighting was down to minimal.

I dont think one of his threads has been hijacked since, and if it has, I apologise. I had nothing to do with it and you didn't deserve it.

I'm pretty sure nobody wants this to be a Patriots love fest here, SOKB. I know I don't. The thing is as a member here, I want this to work. And because there's been an exodus to another board where everyone can sit and bash this place, it kind of speaks to how self-centered some people can be...they want it their way, and if they can't have it their way, dammit, they're gonna leave. It's too bad they didn't take the time to realize that while they're all bitching about the circle jerk over here, they're in a big fat one somewhere else all by themselves.

Everyone hates change, but I like football and banter, and if this is how it's going to be here, I'm willing to do my best to make it work. I hope other people will start to see it that way.
Look, I'm not going to read through what I am sure is an 11 page monstrosity. As I mentioned in another thread, I've been in the woods for 3 days. So if this issue has already been addressed, just ignore this post.

While I cannot speak for anyone else's intentions or motivations to post what they post, I can speak about the motivations and intentions for essentially reopening a football forum immediately after the Planet went through "teh changes!"

It was nothing other than a way to continue the political forum when it was determined that it was no longer welcome here. Many were upset with that. They wanted it back.

I agreed to act as moderator for that forum. (the political specific one.)

Obviously, many of the people who visited that forum as they mostly came from a common bond of being planeteers, had other subjects to discuss, they opened up some of the other parts of the forum. Which is fine, in fact I encourage it. Good discussion is good discussion regardless of the venue. And obviously since "teh changes" were still fresh in everyone's mind, that became a topic of discussion.

Some disagreed with the changes, and didn't feel they could vent their frustrations here for various reasons.

In reality, the heart of this issue is no different than any political discussion. People have different ideas for the best direction to take things. And because they feel very strongly about it, strong emotion is involved. But what is important to remember is that the reason they post with that emotion is because they care. If they didn't they would shrug and move on.

And so to attack them for "bashing the planet," is no different than attacking someone for disagreeing with something the Patriots did and claiming they aren't a fan. It's not the planet that they have the issue with. It's the changes that were made.

Personally, I am sticking to what I've said over and over again. I am waiting to see how it goes, but in the meantime I have serious concerns that the law of unintended consequences might come into effect here with the splitting of the two forums.

Look, I'm not going to read through what I am sure is an 11 page monstrosity. As I mentioned in another thread, I've been in the woods for 3 days. So if this issue has already been addressed, just ignore this post.

While I cannot speak for anyone else's intentions or motivations to post what they post, I can speak about the motivations and intentions for essentially reopening a football forum immediately after the Planet went through "teh changes!"

It was nothing other than a way to continue the political forum when it was determined that it was no longer welcome here. Many were upset with that. They wanted it back.

I agreed to act as moderator for that forum. (the political specific one.)

Obviously, many of the people who visited that forum as they mostly came from a common bond of being planeteers, had other subjects to discuss, they opened up some of the other parts of the forum. Which is fine, in fact I encourage it. Good discussion is good discussion regardless of the venue. And obviously since "teh changes" were still fresh in everyone's mind, that became a topic of discussion.

Some disagreed with the changes, and didn't feel they could vent their frustrations here for various reasons.

In reality, the heart of this issue is no different than any political discussion. People have different ideas for the best direction to take things. And because they feel very strongly about it, strong emotion is involved. But what is important to remember is that the reason they post with that emotion is because they care. If they didn't they would shrug and move on.

And so to attack them for "bashing the planet," is no different than attacking someone for disagreeing with something the Patriots did and claiming they aren't a fan. It's not the planet that they have the issue with. It's the changes that were made.

Personally, I am sticking to what I've said over and over again. I am waiting to see how it goes, but in the meantime I have serious concerns that the law of unintended consequences might come into effect here with the splitting of the two forums.

I don't like to bring up patsfans here but in this case I will. The political forum there has 2 specific moderators for that forum only. Both are volunteers, one from the right and one from the left.

None of the general mods want anything to do with moderating that forum. And should the mods there decide not to do it anymore, I can say with certainty the the forum will probably be closed.

The political forum here was mild compared to that one. Up until a couple of years ago there was a lot of spillage over to the football forums. Bur now there is no tolerance for it. No avatars, sigs, or political statements of any kind and this is strictly enforced.

In one week I've been called a liberal and a right winger when sending PM's to members telling them , not asking, to take down a sig,avatar,or statement. In each case they were given one hour, no response or debate, or they would be banned from the site forever. This is how strict it is over there.

So,I do know what the mods here are dealing with on a daily basis. Perhaps having specific mods for that forum only could work and maybe it won't. Perhaps knowing that any spillage over to the other forums will mean quick and decisive action could stop that, but maybe it won't.

Man, BOU appears to have missed some seemingly unexpected chaos here on the Planet.

With few exceptions, and really, almost none it would seem nowadays, the Planet is remarkably welcoming to fans from other teams. Hell, when a Denver fan stopped in and everyone all but sang Kum Baya, BOU was almost disappointed.

Certain Bolt boards are definitely NOT so welcoming. They can be rife with in-fighting, homers, you name it. Not always, and they have good fans too, but in general, this board seems pretty tame.

The thing with football forums really strikes me as, you get what you give.

Back