Random Football News

Eagles getting Howard is a win-win-win trade. He's still on his rookie deal, so even if he doesn't show up he won't be too expensive. If he does well they can re-sign him, if he gets a deal elsewhere they get a comp pick. What the hell were the Bears thinking?

Eagles getting Howard is a win-win-win trade. He's still on his rookie deal, so even if he doesn't show up he won't be too expensive. If he does well they can re-sign him, if he gets a deal elsewhere they get a comp pick. What the hell were the Bears thinking?

Maybe he's disgruntled or something...it's possible.

Huh?

What are you talking about? The trade was for a 6th that could possibly flex to a 5th.

As far as Howard:

That was worth way more than a 6th.

Right. Howie Roseman is the GM of the Eagles not the Bears. Everyone agrees it was a terrible trade from the Bears perspective. Chevs was pointing out that in exchange for a 6th and $2 million in cap space, the Eagles get a pro bowl TE for a year, AND a compensatory pick if and when he leaves them at the end of his contract, which could be as high as a 3rd round pick potentially, so they actually gain in draft position as well overall.

I'm not sure they'll part ways with him, and with how acquisition heavy the Eagles have been even if they lose him they'll need to cool it in the FA market to actually gain compensatory picks. That being said, the Bears would have gotten more for him had they just let him walk next year. So unless this was done major addition by subtraction or they know something we don't, gaining a 6th and 2 mil in cap space and losing a pro bowl level TE seems like the worst trade this offseason, especially since they're not out of cap space currently.

Right. Howie Roseman is the GM of the Eagles not the Bears. Everyone agrees it was a terrible trade from the Bears perspective. Chevs was pointing out that in exchange for a 6th and $2 million in cap space, the Eagles get a pro bowl TE for a year, AND a compensatory pick if and when he leaves them at the end of his contract, which could be as high as a 3rd round pick potentially, so they actually gain in draft position as well overall.

I'm not sure they'll part ways with him, and with how acquisition heavy the Eagles have been even if they lose him they'll need to cool it in the FA market to actually gain compensatory picks. That being said, the Bears would have gotten more for him had they just let him walk next year. So unless this was done major addition by subtraction or they know something we don't, gaining a 6th and 2 mil in cap space and losing a pro bowl level TE seems like the worst trade this offseason, especially since they're not out of cap space currently.

Howard is a rb...kinda like Blount. His first name isn't OJ... :coffee:

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

I know I keep getting confused by everyone referring to him as a TE too..

Everyone? :shrug_n:

Howard is a rb...kinda like Blount. His first name isn't OJ... :coffee:

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Everyone? :shrug_n:

Yeah, my bad. I shoulda read the story. Thanks for pointing it out without going all ballistic. When I read "Howard" my brain went immediately to OJ Howard the TE. That this Howard had 1300 yds as a RB makes the trade even worse for Chicago and that much better for Roseman's Eagles when you figure in the comp pick he could bring in a worse case scenario.

Just took a quick look at this years compensatory picks. The value of a comp pick in the sixth round was between $4 million and $5 million per year. The value of a comp pick in the 5th round was between $7.4 million and $ 5.95 million. Sorry, but Jordan Howard is not getting that kind of money on the open market as a free agent in 2020...

To me, it looks like he was not part of their long term plans and the team decided to get better compensation (at least a sixth round pick instead of a 7th at best) a year earlier (in 2020 instead of 2021).

Yeah, my bad. I shoulda read the story. Thanks for pointing it out without going all ballistic. When I read "Howard" my brain went immediately to OJ Howard the TE. That this Howard had 1300 yds as a RB makes the trade even worse for Chicago and that much better for Roseman's Eagles when you figure in the comp pick he could bring in a worse case scenario.

No worries! :toast:

Just took a quick look at this years compensatory picks. The value of a comp pick in the sixth round was between $4 million and $5 million per year. The value of a comp pick in the 5th round was between $7.4 million and $ 5.95 million. Sorry, but Jordan Howard is not getting that kind of money on the open market as a free agent in 2020...

To me, it looks like he was not part of their long term plans and the team decided to get better compensation (at least a sixth round pick instead of a 7th at best) a year earlier (in 2020 instead of 2021).

You could be right on the money & resulting comp pick depending how Howard does in Philly. Although, at 29 yrs old, Mark Ingram just got $5M/ from Baltimore and, in 8 years, Ingram has never had the kind of year Howard had last year in his 3rd year. In fact, 2 of Howard's 3 years are as good or better than Ingram's verybest year.

http://www.nfl.com/player/markingram/2495466/profile
http://www.nfl.com/player/jordanhoward/2555418/profile

I don't blame the Bears for trading him. Compensation seems too low to me.

Emmitt Smith

Verified account

@EmmittSmith22
2h2 hours ago
More
God is good!!! So thankful for the good news. @michaelirvin88 is cancer free!!

If he just averages what he did in Chicago he’ll get a GREAT deal. He’s still on his rookie deal. And he should thrive in Phillie. He’s a factor in the run and pass game.

Emmitt Smith

Verified account

@EmmittSmith22
2h2 hours ago
More
God is good!!! So thankful for the good news. @michaelirvin88 is cancer free!!

Excellent news. MIrvin is one the good guys.

And from a Patriots' perspective, he appreciates the greatness.

Excellent news. MIrvin is one the good guys.

And from a Patriots' perspective, he appreciates the greatness.

That's because he understands what it takes. Him, Prime, Jimmy Johnson...all the multiple championship guys are always on the Pats side of the ball because they understand what it means to succeed multiple times over a stretch of multiple years. Anybody can get lucky once.

Brady announced he is retiring on Twitter.

He really did.

Then again, it is April 1st....

Back