Babalu

Thank you, RG. Though you tried to keep your post upbeat, I'm sure it was difficult for you to see Babalu like that. But every bit of information brings hope, yours included.

And while we're all at it, we should all try to remember to click on the Paypal link that Frank provided. I'm sure things are getting very difficult for the Fuller family right about now, and every dime that anyone can spare will help to keep food on the table and gas in the car for the very long ride that Jeff's wife is taking up to Salem on a regular basis. Times are difficult for everyone, but these are extraordinary circumstances for this family.

And while we're all at it, we should all try to remember to click on the Paypal link that Frank provided. I'm sure things are getting very difficult for the Fuller family right about now, and every dime that anyone can spare will help to keep food on the table and gas in the car for the very long ride that Jeff's wife is taking up to Salem on a regular basis. Times are difficult for everyone, but these are extraordinary circumstances for this family.

:thumb:

the next toast offering to the Hosanna of Hops is

imperial_ipa.jpg
2010-07-24+16.07.02xxL.jpg

Harpoon Leviathan Double Imperial IPA 10% ABV

"U zdravlje" (To health - Croatia) babalu :toast:

I was able to visit babalu at his LTAC (LongTermAcuteCare) rehab center this afternoon

1.) firstly, I bring you a message from Mrs.babalu....she would like everyone to know how overwhelmed she & her family are by the outpouring of support shown to Jeff by so many here & elsewhere

she specifically stated how she sat down at the keyboard many times to post a message of gratitude here but became too caught up in a swirl of emotions to put words together, something I think we all would understand

2.) Mrs.babs said that all the indications are that Jeff is close to getting the right neurons firing at the right time to regain the simple motor faculties that we all mostly take much too much for granted so they can begin to take positive rehabilitation steps rather than simple care maintenance -- it's just a waiting game now

she is convinced he can hear everything being said around him, he is just unable to show coordinated manners of response at all times, sometimes but not all the time

3.)
babs LOOKED GOOD as I sat next to him...I just began talking about how many here have responded with well wishes, words of encouragement, made GoodKarma beer toasts (YES, Dwight Schrute, I gave you credit for starting them :))
and then I read a list of about 30 names I thought he would remember that had posted in frankw's thread to see if I could get a reaction --- Mrs. babs told me later she could see some eye movement (like in a REM-sleep I think) as I was reading

I ended by reading one of Box_O_Rock's prayers to Jeff -- one that I told him I thought he would enjoy hearing as I hadn't been in a church for any SERIOUS personal business since my wedding 38 yrs ago, but Box's words certainly moved me when I read them and I hoped they would do the same for him

I also left DVDs of all the Pats games to date for Mrs.babs to play for him on a personal player in hopes hearing the broadcast action will spur that brain to begin working well again (I told her I edit out ALL commercials --especially the Miller Lite ones -- becuz I knew they would just piss him off to hear, LOL)

in summary, keep all your GOOD KARMA thoughts & postings POURING IN until that boy getz back on his feets again :Lecture:

He really looked good? That's awesome. I can't believe its been almost 2 months.

I can just picture him all of a sudden waking up and trying to stand with his muscles all atrophyed. Falling down and wondering wtf?
Posted via Mobile Device

I can just picture him all of a sudden waking up and trying to stand with his muscles all atrophyed. Falling down and wondering wtf?
Posted via Mobile Device

Enough about RG at the draft party, you're cluttering up the thread. :D

Dearest Father, thank You for the good things in our lives, for Your Word which strengthens and guides us, for Your Holy Spirit which comforts us, for Your promised Son, who took our sin upon himself to make those who believe in Him once again Your children. I ask Your merciful care continue for Babalu, his family, friends, and caregivers, that we each find in Your Word the wisdom to make those choices which are pleasing in Your eyes, and the strength to avoid the temptations of this fallen world. In the Name of our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

Update 10/14/2010

Jeff had a fairly quiet long weekend. Yesterday he was more alert. At one point, he had his eyes open for about 20 minutes or so, looking around, making eye contact, tracking and looking at the TV. The OT has been working with Jeff beyond the squeezing the hand thing. They put a wash cloth in his hand and pull on it and Jeff will grip down on it and give some resistance when she tries to pull it away. His wife also has been able to get him to open his mouth when they need to clean his mouth/teeth, etc. And she's gotten him to respond to her by raising his eyebrows, when she asks him to. Next week they are talking about bringing Jeff into the gym, getting him on a mat and really getting him moving.

His doctors have been consulting with the doctors at Spaulding Rehab and the doctor who treated the guy in RI who had EEE. They've come up with some drugs they want to try on Jeff. They are hopeful that the drugs will help to wake him up even further. Apparently it is some combination of drugs that they give to accident victims. He's currently on some antibiotics for a minor issue. Once he's off those, they'll start the new treatment.

Continued prayers and positive thoughts are greatly appreciated.
------------------------------------
Donate to Jeff via PayPal

Frank - As always, we thank you for the update! It's gonna be a long, slow recovery, but... I do believe a recovery will be made! Bless you, bless babs and his family, and bless all those continuing to pray for his recovery.

Update 10/14/2010

Jeff had a fairly quiet long weekend. Yesterday he was more alert. At one point, he had his eyes open for about 20 minutes or so, looking around, making eye contact, tracking and looking at the TV. The OT has been working with Jeff beyond the squeezing the hand thing. They put a wash cloth in his hand and pull on it and Jeff will grip down on it and give some resistance when she tries to pull it away. His wife also has been able to get him to open his mouth when they need to clean his mouth/teeth, etc. And she's gotten him to respond to her by raising his eyebrows, when she asks him to. Next week they are talking about bringing Jeff into the gym, getting him on a mat and really getting him moving.

His doctors have been consulting with the doctors at Spaulding Rehab and the doctor who treated the guy in RI who had EEE. They've come up with some drugs they want to try on Jeff. They are hopeful that the drugs will help to wake him up even further. Apparently it is some combination of drugs that they give to accident victims. He's currently on some antibiotics for a minor issue. Once he's off those, they'll start the new treatment.

He's getting there...C'mon Babs. Keep up the progress and I'll buy you all the Miller Lite drafts you want at the fundraiser!:toast:

Is he opening his mouth and raising his eyebrows on vocal requests because if so that sounds very good :toast:

Dearest Lord, thank You for the progress Babalu is making in his recovery and for the dedicated family, friends, and caregivers working with him. I ask Your mercy to continue for Babs, strengthen him to break through the communications barrier, awaken his mind to know the challenges he faces and to deal with them with hard work and determination, comfort him with Your Word and his family's love, help his family, friends, and caregivers to endure and grow in their own roles in Bab's life, and to know You through Your Word and Your love for us all in Christ Jesus. All to Your glory Lord and in the Name above all names, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.

Update 10/14/2010

You know something, BB always says that the most important games are after Thanksgiving. With a little bit of luck, Babs will be awake to see those games.

I'm still so amazed that a ****ing mosquito can do this to a grown man. One of Babs strongest new home brews needs to be named "NE-EEE Mosquito Brew" or something of that sort. I'd definitely drink a pint (or 10) of that. :toast:

Back