IG_IG (Jerry Thornton)

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
Pretty amazing to me the rapid rise in popularity Jerry has had in just the last few years. Gone from an employee of the Commonwealth and part-time stand-up comedian to a co-host on sports radio, a frequent celebrity guest at events, and now, an author. There have been many books written on the Patriots, but I'm sure this will be a unique perspective with fine detail about their history. I'm looking forward to reading this, as everyone here should.

Available for pre-order now. Release date in October

Congrats, Jerry!

http://www.amazon.com/From-Darkness-Dynasty-England-Patriots/dp/1611689740

FROM DARKNESS TO DYNASTY: The First 40 Years of the New England Patriots
by Jerry Thornton (Author), Michael Holley (Contributor)

View attachment 97716

Love them or hate them, what New England has been able to do over the past 15 years is nothing short of remarkable. Now, not only boasting four Super Bowl Championships, the Patriots also have the best coach in the league, a smart and savvy front office, and a future Hall of Fame quarterback who is internationally recognized as the face of the NFL. And as the Patriots continue to dominate, on the field as well as in the media and the American pop culture landscape, the harder it is for anyone to remember them as anything other than a model franchise and the ultimate paradigm of success and accomplishment.

Anyone, that is, except for Jerry Thornton. It wasn’t always sunshine and roses for the Patriots; in fact, for the bulk of their existence, it was exactly the opposite. Though difficult to fathom now, the New England Patriots of old were not just bad—they were laughably bad. Not too long ago, the Pats were not only the laughingstock of the NFL, but of the entire sporting world.

From Darkness to Dynasty reveals the unlikely history of the New England Patriots as it has never been told before. From their humble beginnings as a team bought with rainy day money by a man who had no idea what he was doing to that fateful 2001 season that saw them win their first Super Bowl, Jerry Thornton shares the wild, humiliating, unbelievable, and wonderful stories that comprised the first 40 years of what would ultimately become the most dominant franchise in NFL history.

Witty, hilarious, and brutally honest, From Darkness to Dynasty returns to the thrilling, perilous days of yesteryear—a welcome corrective for those who hate the Patriots, and a useful reminder, for those who love them, that all glory is fleeting.

The success couldn't happen to a better guy. He's representing the every day fan with no "agenda". Tuning in at 2PM on weekdays is now my normal routine.

Although the number of people sending him odd stuff on FB is a bit creepy and stalkish. :rolleyes:

The success couldn't happen to a better guy. He's representing the every day fan with no "agenda". Tuning in at 2PM on weekdays is now my normal routine.

Although the number of people sending him odd stuff on FB is a bit creepy and stalkish. :rolleyes:

I've noticed that, too. Kind of weird, but maybe it's because we just see it. I don't follow anyone else that has any kind of celebrity, but I'm sure they have the same type of followers.

As far as the 'EEI gig, it's a ritual for me as well. He is a great guy, and I love how he has no shame for being a relentless fanboy.

I've noticed that, too. Kind of weird, but maybe it's because we just see it. I don't follow anyone else that has any kind of celebrity, but I'm sure they have the same type of followers.

As far as the 'EEI gig, it's a ritual for me as well. He is a great guy, and I love how he has no shame for being a relentless fanboy.

This ^

Too many in the media these days some how got the idea that it's a sin to be a fan of the local teams.

Attaboy, Jerry! That book is a must-have. Thanks for posting, Lisa.

I knew about the book, but decided to keep it under my hat. Jerry has a lot of varied talents in life, but I've always believed that writing is maybe what he is best at, and I mean real writing and not the kind of quick-hit blogs which he does for EEI.

There have been books written which covered some of the story, but none of them satisfied me in terms of depth. I'm hoping this does, because it is one hell of a story. Felger did one such book and it was very superficial.

I'm glad that the focus is on the pre-BB years as well. That's where there is still meat on the bone and I'm eager to read it. To say the least.

I'm very proud of my brother. That's about all I can say.

Very much look forward to reading this. Maybe a signed copy from another draft get together?

Don't know how he fit everything into a single book. Spy**** and now Deflate**** could entail an entire singular book themselves.

Very much look forward to reading this. Maybe a signed copy from another draft get together?

Don't know how he fit everything into a single book. Spy**** and now Deflate**** could entail an entire singular book themselves.

There will be countless deflategate books I would say. Hell of a lot more meat on that bone than spygate.

And BTW, it will be extremely difficult for anyone to write a credible book in support of the league. To do that, all you can do is repeat the lies which under scrutiny will always fail. Just MO.

Cheers

Sounds like I'll be buying a new book.

~Dee~

The book will focus on our first forty years and I don't think we'll get into either. I'll find out tomorrow night and confirm that is the case.

I wondered today if he'd do a book signing, like an official one. I'll ask him that, too. If you guys buy his book I'm sure he'll show up and autograph them at a draft party or something.

The book will focus on our first forty years and I don't think we'll get into either. I'll find out tomorrow night and confirm that is the case.

I wondered today if he'd do a book signing, like an official one. I'll ask him that, too. If you guys buy his book I'm sure he'll show up and autograph them at a draft party or something.

Count me in.

Yeah, so what. I pulled this off the dust bin looking for a Jerry Thornton thread.

Found one.

@Hawg73 please tell Jerry that he owes the bald Michigan dude a beer someday for making me explain the leaky eyes dripping off of my chin to my wife when she walked in and caught me trying to read this. Too many times I had to stop because I had wandered off to the storage area of our basement or the end of our driveway or the dressing room of so many rinks - in my mind - all the while leaking down the front of my shirt.

I think I am 2-3 years behind Jerry so he got me like that 90's juiced clean up hitter on the bridge of my emotional nose.

Maybe this won't have the same impact on most of you Planet People as it did me. Maybe it will. Depends on your current station in life I guess.

Last edited:
Yeah, so what. I pulled this off the dust bin looking for a Jerry Thornton thread.

Found one.

@Hawg73 please tell Jerry that he owes the bald Michigan dude a beer someday for making me explain the leaky eyes dripping off of my chin to my wife when she walked in and caught me trying to read this. Too many times I had to stop because I had wandered off to the storage area of our basement or the end of our driveway or the dressing room of so many rinks - in my mind - all the while leaking down the front of my shirt.

I think I am 2-3 years behind Jerry so he got me like that 90's juiced clean up hitter on the bridge of my emotional nose.

Maybe this won't have the same impact on most of you Planet People as it did me. Maybe it will. Depends on your current station in life I guess.

I'll tell him. And I actually will. Like any Artist, he always likes to hear stories of how his skills affect people whether he's met them or not.

That was, I'm sure, a cathartic thing for him to write. He doesn't typically get that deep and reflective-- claiming that he has "one all-purpose mood", which is a big exaggeration,
but he does have a rare gift for making people cry with the things he writes, so I know he is actually softer-hearted than he'd like folks to think. He did the Eulogy
for a really close Friend of his, really a wonderful guy that everybody loved, a few weeks back and the guy's family cried a river at the way Jerry honored his memory, but in a
happy way. He can make you laugh hard or cry depending on what you need most at the time, so it isn't just you. He's a fine Wordsmith.

Anyhow, his new house is really nice and it's a short walk to a gorgeous beach-- which is one of the local secrets. Our favorite part of the move is that he has
extra parking spaces which we intend to use regularly. He and his Wife are going to be really happy there and so will his Sons and future Grandkids. The next phase
will have some benefits, too.

I'll tell him. And I actually will. Like any Artist, he always likes to hear stories of how his skills affect people whether he's met them or not.

That was, I'm sure, a cathartic thing for him to write. He doesn't typically get that deep and reflective-- claiming that he has "one all-purpose mood", which is a big exaggeration,
but he does have a rare gift for making people cry with the things he writes, so I know he is actually softer-hearted than he'd like folks to think. He did the Eulogy
for a really close Friend of his, really a wonderful guy that everybody loved, a few weeks back and the guy's family cried a river at the way Jerry honored his memory, but in a
happy way. He can make you laugh hard or cry depending on what you need most at the time, so it isn't just you. He's a fine Wordsmith.

Anyhow, his new house is really nice and it's a short walk to a gorgeous beach-- which is one of the local secrets. Our favorite part of the move is that he has
extra parking spaces which we intend to use regularly. He and his Wife are going to be really happy there and so will his Sons and future Grandkids. The next phase
will have some benefits, too.
Any time I see him post on FB about his wife, it’s clear that he’s far softer hearted than he may like to let in. A great guy.

Back