Joe Judge back to the Patriots

I'm kind of chuckling the negative reaction to Judge's return as an assistant. BB has worked with him, must have professional respect him, and feels he can transition right back in with the rest of the current staff. Am I naive in saying that's good enough for me? And I can already hear the "yeah, but special teams" responses. Who is to say that he won't at least serve in an advisory capacity to ST? None of us know.

In the past two decades, the only time I felt like the Pats coaching staff was lacking to the point something needed to be done was after Scar's retirement. I am going to wager the addition of Judge is nothing to lose sleep over.
I agree plus, Judge was the Special Teams coach which, if we're being honest, kinda sucked this year but under Judge, one of the best ST groups in the league for years. So maybe he can get into the ear of the current ST coach with some valuable nuggets of wisdom :)

The whiny lowbrow boorish insults and ridicule from the sons and daughters of Belichick are one thing, I can laugh at that and see them as they are, a pathetic sac of insignificant sycophants groveling at the feet of their counterfeit hero.

However, the selective censorship of my response by the mods is wholly unfair and contrary to the essence of your purpose. Your little oasis here is unwelcoming, intolerant, lacking diversity, unprogressive, malicious and cretinous. So congratulations for that.
Cheerio mate!

I agree plus, Judge was the Special Teams coach which, if we're being honest, kinda sucked this year but under Judge, one of the best ST groups in the league for years. So maybe he can get into the ear of the current ST coach with some valuable nuggets of wisdom :)
This for sure!

~Dee~

The whiny lowbrow boorish insults and ridicule from the sons and daughters of Belichick are one thing, I can laugh at that and see them as they are, a pathetic sac of insignificant sycophants groveling at the feet of their counterfeit hero.

However, the selective censorship of my response by the mods is wholly unfair and contrary to the essence of your purpose. Your little oasis here is unwelcoming, intolerant, lacking diversity, unprogressive, malicious and cretinous. So congratulations for that.

Ciao. The fact that you were recruited by Mazz speaks volumes.

The fact that you also believe that Brady was responsible for an entire dynasty is perhaps the number one reason why you’re so loathed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll bet that little negative monologue took you 2 hours to create.
Too bad you didn't spend that same amount of time reading "The Power of Positive Thinking". Then again, what the hell good would that do.

Good points. The other reason I think BoB might have said no is because he is looking for a path to become HC again in the NFL. If there was not a path to that in NE because Bill is going to coach for a few more years or Kraft only has the successor planned than being our OC again might not have been appealing.

Also, one other thing to consider. Our offense is not explosive and I am not sure how much resources Bill will realistically put into given what he spent last off-season on the skill guys. In today's climate, coaches are looking to showcase themselves for their next job and I don't think our offense is that appealing right now.
I think our O will be fine. It wasn't the O that disappointed us in the playoffs and the last 4 games of the season. It surprisingly was the D. One game, in spite of the D and ST putting us in a 14 point deficit early in the game, the O almost came back. Very close. Biggest thing is Mac Jones. All we have to go on is his rookie year, but krikey, look at the rookie year he had. As a rookie with free agents that many dismissed as horrible choices even before they played a snap, Jones has been an awesome QB. If Zach WIlson played like Jones and Jones sat out his rookie year to learn the NFL game as many QBs do, we would all be shitting our collective pants about playing in a division with "Wait until this rookie Wilson gets a real off season under his belt and makes the socond year jump! We won't see another division championship for 15 years!

But WE got Mac Jones. How can anyone not be excited about a rookie QB starting in a complicated offense and not only ranking ahead of all four rookie QBs drafted ahead of him but also ranking in the middle of the league of ALL QBs last year. We won't know for sure until next year, but based on what we DO know....we should be looking forward to next year's offense.

IMO it's our defense that needs help, not our O, and I hope we spend more of D plus use our high draft picks on D.

I think our O will be fine. It wasn't the O that disappointed us in the playoffs and the last 4 games of the season. It surprisingly was the D. One game, in spite of the D and ST putting us in a 14 point deficit early in the game, the O almost came back. Very close. Biggest thing is Mac Jones. All we have to go on is his rookie year, but krikey, look at the rookie year he had. As a rookie with free agents that many dismissed as horrible choices even before they played a snap, Jones has been an awesome QB. If Zach WIlson played like Jones and Jones sat out his rookie year to learn the NFL game as many QBs do, we would all be shitting our collective pants about playing in a division with "Wait until this rookie Wilson gets a real off season under his belt and makes the socond year jump! We won't see another division championship for 15 years!

But WE got Mac Jones. How can anyone not be excited about a rookie QB starting in a complicated offense and not only ranking ahead of all four rookie QBs drafted ahead of him but also ranking in the middle of the league of ALL QBs last year. We won't know for sure until next year, but based on what we DO know....we should be looking forward to next year's offense.

IMO it's our defense that needs help, not our O, and I hope we spend more of D plus use our high draft picks on D.
Let me rephrase. I think Mac Jones IS a QB OCs would want to work with. No doubt. He had a great rookie year and should only improve going forward. When I talk about the offense not being explosive, I am more talking about the approach. Bill is a defensive minded HC and therefore GM. He believes defense first and then the run game. It is this philosophy that I believe would be turn off to OCs who are looking at the job to make a name for themselves. That is why I think the position may deter someone like BoB specifically who ideally would want to get back into the NFL with a chance at being a HC again.

I also agree that the defense needs the most work which is why I don't see significant upgrades for the offense.

You have got to be shitting me.

Boorish? Cretinous? :jester:

You're the biggest waste of electrons I've seen in a while. Strictly a one-trick pony. And a miserable one.

Hit the bricks if you don't like it around here.

Kinda? This was the worst special teams I can remember since the early 90s.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

What, not a fan of the Giants mighty offense the last few years? :shrug-n:

Judge better start learning fast! :coffee:

I realize that Joe most likely delegated the Giants offense to someone else, but, it was all under his watch though...

Full disclosure that this is just my opinion and I don't know Judge personally, but when I hear him speak I just don't think much of him. Lots of cliches, coachspeak, and generally someone who seems more interested in presenting themselves a certain way than authentically/genuinely thinking and sharing those thoughts.

I know BB could be accused of cliches/coachspeak, but to me the scope of that is quite narrow and normally comes out when addressing sensitive matters like injuries/on-field schematics (stuff that the team won't disclose due to competitive reasons). And it's not really coachspeak - it's more so extreme guardedness/withholding of information. When BB speaks at length about something, it's clearly thoughtful, articulate, and logically consistent.

Judge just strikes me as not particularly bright or intelligent. Maybe he's a hard-worker and busts his ass, and maybe there is some value he can add here, but he doesn't strike me as a bright mind I want running the show on offense (or, candidly, having a significant role in any part of the team). He seemed to be a better ST coach than Cam Achord but I felt there was a bit of a drop-off after Scott O'Brien left in 2014 and Judge took over. Nothing major, but little details didn't seem as sharp as they were under O'Brien.

Go listen to Judge's NYG press conferences. It's not like he's guarded or withholding info - he'll talk at length, but everything he says is, to quote Rich Eisen, "a riptide of gobbledygook". It's just nonstop cliches, "back in my days" type of stuff, without anything of tangible, objective value. Nothing seems logically consistent or thoughtful.

Oh well. It is what it is and I'd love for Judge to surprise me, but I'd almost rather see Mick Lombardi get a shot calling the plays and running the offense with Judge in a positional coaching role (in lieu of Judge playing point on the offensive side of the ball).

Last edited:
Full disclosure that this is just my opinion and I don't know Judge personally, but when I hear him speak I just don't think much of him. Lots of cliches, coachspeak, and generally someone who seems more interested in presenting themselves a certain way than authentically/genuinely thinking and sharing those thoughts.

I know BB could be accused of cliches/coachspeak, but to me the scope of that is quite narrow and normally comes out when addressing sensitive matters like injuries/on-field schematics (stuff that the team won't disclose due to competitive reasons). And it's not really coachspeak - it's more so extreme guardedness/withholding of information. When BB speaks at length about something, it's clearly thoughtful, articulate, and logically consistent.

Judge just strikes me as not particularly bright or intelligent. Maybe he's a hard-worker and busts his ass, and maybe there is some value he can add here, but he doesn't strike me as a bright mind I want running the show on offense (or, candidly, having a significant role in any part of the team). He seemed to be a better ST coach than Cam Achord but I felt there was a bit of a drop-off after Scott O'Brien left in 2014 and Judge took over. Nothing major, but little details didn't seem as sharp as they were under O'Brien.

Go listen to Judge's NYG press conferences. It's not like he's guarded or withholding info -- he'll talk at length, but everything he says is, to quote Rich Eisen, "a riptide of gobbledygook". It's just nonstop cliches, "back in my days" type of stuff, without anything of tangible, objective value. Nothing seems logically consistent or thoughtful.

Oh well. It is what it is and I'd love for Judge to surprise me, but I'd almost rather see Mick Lombardi get a shot calling the plays and running the offense with Judge in a positional coaching role (in lieu of Judge playing point on the offensive side of the ball).
This is how I feel about Adam Gase.

This is how I feel about Adam Gase.

That's disappointing to hear. I haven't listened to Gase speak and I didn't have much of an opinion of him other than not hating him as much as others seem to, and maybe having some vaguely positive associations because of his play-calling against the Pats' D with some of those Miami offenses he ran, but hearing that makes me want no part of him.

Back