What about your current life would shock 13 year old you the most?

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
The first thing I thought of is I am not in touch with any of the friends I had then. :shrug:

The first thing I thought of is I am not in touch with any of the friends I had then. :shrug:

That's a good one.
And that I'd be thinking of retiring would fit, too.
That my father would still be vital at 94.
So many things.

That I actually had sex with a real woman.

I'm fortunate that I have 2 very good friends that I've known "forever", one since being a toddler and the other since freshman year of HS (who I just spent a football weekend with).

I can't think of too much. The life I have now is pretty much the life I knew back then. I was raised in a typical middle class family and I now have a typical middle class family.

That I am a high school Math teacher.

That I am a recovering drug addict.

That I've been married to the same hot woman for 25+ years.

That I would lose touch and then regain relationships with friends from middle school via something called Facebook.

That the Red Sox have won not one, not two but three championships in my lifetime (so far....)

A couple of months ago we had a 50th reunion for our 8th-grade class of 1966.

I think the thing that would most surprise me is that the Patriots had won 4 superbowls, and that the Red Sox were still playing in Fenway Park and had won 3 world series in my lifetime. I remember reading in Sports Illustrated that people thought the Red Sox could never have a winning team playing in Fenway Park (I was 13 in 1965, so this was before everything about the Red Sox changed in 1967).

I'm not sure what else in my life would seem particularly remarkable except possibly on demand video and Spotify.

That I would live this long, given the chaotic teen life that I chose.

That I would grow to understand and deeply respect the trials and tribulations our single parent mother was going through when I was 13 when I didn't have the clothes, shoes or athletic gear I believed I was entitled to then.

The lessons are so stark and real to me now but totally lost on 13 year old me.

That I'd become one of those old people who thinks everything's going to hell in a hand basket.

:shrug_n:

Wow. What timing afaic.

I turned 13 on 9/6/60. I went to my first pats game 9/23/60. As I keep saying they lost 13-0 and the Pats lost 13 of the first seventeen games I went to through the late 70's.

If you'd have told me that this silly little $25,000 dollar afc start-up woud today one of if not the greatest franchise in NFL history, I'd have died laughing>

Back